WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incu/Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Anchor/Speed Hooks

Big South Fork 11/21 - 11/24

To preface this post, this trip was my 12-yr-old step-son's first backpacking trip, so we planned a very relaxed hike with plenty of extra time in camp each day for getting used to deploying his new rig, etc. For the time being, he's using an 11' Dutch Argon hammock, Dutch vented winter sock, Warbonnet Superfly, Thermarest pad, and my old Sierra Designs SB. I was a little worried about him squirming around and getting cold as the temps got down to the low 30's, but he said he was fine. I used all my new toys - WB BB XLC, WB SF, HG Incubator 20, and Burrow 20 and I was quite toasty and comfy (a little too warm at times). And finally my dad and brother spent the trip on the cold, wet ground (although I think I made good strides in converting them).

This trip marks a sort of passing of the torch to a new generation. My dad introduced my brother and me to backpacking at a young age (with horribly archaic gear looking back!), and now we're recruiting the young blood. He'll definitely be the first in our clan to start his backpacking career in the trees!

Organizing some gear before embarking:
    IMG_6269.jpg

A few shots during the hike:
    IMG_6280.jpg
    IMG_6281.jpg

As you can see, it looks like we missed the leaves changing by a few weeks - oh well :/

Here's our hammock setups - first time using the hiking poles for the pull outs on the Superfly - worked great!
    Cap1.JPG
    Cap2.JPG
    IMG_6258.jpg

A few more shots on the trail:
    IMG_6284.jpg
    IMG_6285.jpg

Big South Fork has lots of "rock houses" which make for great lunch spots, especially if it's raining (but watch out for falling icicles - the "other" widowmaker!):
    IMG_6291.jpg
    IMG_6294.jpg

We just did the Grand Gap Loop from Leatherwood Ford along the Cumberland River, so we didn't cover a lot of ground, but we accomplished our goal - a successful, easy trip, and the first of many for a new generation in my family. He's already ready to start planning the next one!

I really like going to BSF. Glad you and your step-son had a great trip
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Great shots from the BSF. Always good to see father and son trips--glad you all were able to get out there and enjoy. Hope this is the first of many memorable treks.
    Les Rust
    "My goal is to live long enough to become a character."

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Hope I get to explore BSF next year.

It's not about the miles anyway! Great report.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like y'all had a great trip. Glad the new gear worked out and it looks like your old kit has found a good home.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    What a nice family trip, and report. Nothing like passing the torch to the younger generation.

BSF is one of those places I've wanted to visit: maybe I'll get up there soon.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incu/Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Anchor/Speed Hooks
    Thanks guys! Here are a few more shots I collected from my dad and brother from the trip:
    dad7.jpg
    dad6.jpg
    IMG_6318.jpg
    IMG_6319.jpg
    dad3.jpg

Although this was my stepson's first visit to BSF, my dad, brother and I have hiked here several times over the years and we will definitely be back. We've always found the trails to be very well maintained, and there are almost unlimited options for loops, especially if you're willing to use equestrian or dual-use trails. Do keep in mind if you're heading to the park this time of year that it is hunting season and hunting is allowed in the park. We woke a few times on our second night to the sounds of gunfire (sounded like a handgun - quick, 6 shot bursts). A little unnerving especially at night, but no harm done. We were hardly stealthy, but a little blaze orange on the outside of the packs probably would've been a good idea.

Not sure if I fully converted my dad and brother to hanging, but I just ordered them both hammocks from Dutch for xmas. They're going to be running out of excuses soon!

• + New Posts