Warbonnet 1.7, HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles

Slip Sliding Away

Spent last night in the back yard in the HH. I wanted to get a feel for how it felt in there with humidity and rain. Forcasts were for a 68*low with sporatic rain (hurricane Bill barreling up the coast) and high humidity.

It was a little sticky in there until about 1am partly due to the fact that I had the fly set up for the expected rain. Other than that, no problems. Even though I was sweating there was zero condensation in the hammock and the 2 fleece bag liners, one for under/one for a quilt, remained dry and kept me more than comfortable.

I also experimented with cord and a couple Nalgenes as rain catchers. They worked pretty well but can certainly be improved.

The only real issue I had all night is that I would slowly slide to the bottom of the hammock. I got out and tried to re-adjust the foot end of the hammock around midnight but I guess I didn't raise it enough. I was plenty comfortable and slept very well but I would end up with my butt right over the birth canal. This also didn't cause a problem until I tried to push myself back towards the top of the hammock. When I did, I'd put pressure on the birth canal, it would open, and my butt would fall through along with some of my bedding (breech birth?). It only happened twice but it led me to believe that my set-up, specifically the height of tree huggers, was less than perfect.

Which leads me to the point of the thread (not too soon for most of you, I'm sure). Is there a rule of thumb for tree hugger height: head side vs. foot side? I think I remember reading somewhere in the forum that someone prefered the foot suspension 12" above the head suspension. I sure there is an element of personal preference here but, for those hangers that have been at this for awhile, what do you prefer? I noticed there was a lot of unusable hammock (HH explorer UL) above my head. Where should the head side of the birth canal opening meet the body? At my feet, knees, thigh, or was I where I was supposed to be (butt at head side of birth canal opening)? I hope this isn't too confusing.

Two breech births in one night! Worst than a long night at work. TIA -John

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I've got 2 big trees in my backyard, around 22' apart, (major pita) so I kind of understand your dilema. My foot end suspension line is at 9 to 10 feet off the ground where it is tied to the tree. NO, I'm not kidding, during my initial testing and set up as a rookie I struggled for a long time to try to get things right. I ended up tying two straps together to make the distance to angle ratio work.
    I have a indoor hang setup for sleeping in and doing test builds on new stuff. That space is 9'-6" apart, hook to hook, and works great for a hammock that is 9'-6" plus suspension ends of around 8-10'' each. Gives me good sag and comfort.
    When I tried to move outside, yikes, not fun, all kinds of re adjusting and fanagglin'. It takes alot to fine tune the hammock for different spaces. Keep playing with it, you'll get it.
    What works for one , doesn't work for others, enjoy.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teletrekker View Post
    Spent last night in the back yard...
    Me too, it was supposed to get down in the 40's and I wanted to see how my current insulation worked.

...and my butt would fall through along with some of my bedding (breech birth?).
    Haha, that's too funny!

Which leads me to the point of the thread (not too soon for most of you, I'm sure). Is there a rule of thumb for tree hugger height: head side vs. foot side?
    This is real timely for me. My inside test area(my garage) has a ~17' spread and my backyard site has ~24' spacing. I haven't been able to get the hang feeling the same at both sites, yet.

More testing is in order!

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The difference in how much higher you tie each end to the tree will change depending on how far apart the trees are. I just eyeball the angle until it looks comfortable...usually ~10 degrees, with the foot end a bit higher.

Another trick is to NOT center the hammock between the trees. Even spectra and polypro webbing stretches a little bit (most of the weights we use anyway) so if you put your foot end closer to the tree and leave more support between the head end and tree, you can tie it even and you'll send up with feet higher than head when it's occupied.

If I can't get one end hung high enough to create a ~10 degree difference, I just move the foot end closer to the tree.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dangerbird, HHED
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    HG UQ, SS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have only slept in mine twice, and both times I tried to make it level. I will be setting up again next weekend and try different things, I guess, that's the only way to really know.

I have the sleep comfort beds in the house that have the height adjustments and all the bells.., my wife likes it one way and I like it the other.. (thats why we got the bed) but the hammock has the exact same feel as the $7K bed.. Not as adjustable, but certainly the same feel.

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7, HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    Thanks for the info guys. I guess the consensus is feet higher than head. I'll have to play with it.

Does anyone have any insight into where your body is "supposed" to be in relation to the entry on a HH. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Does anyone have any insight into where your body is "supposed" to be in relation to the entry on a HH. Thanks again.
    Not falling through...

In all seriousness. I usually find myself scooting toward the head when I first lay down. But I have not had a problem falling through.The diagonal lie usually keeps me pretty well secure in the hammock.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts