WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche

HH Asym or WBBB ... Flatter?

My question is, which hammock allows you to lie flatter? Which one gives you more possible sleeping positions?

This isn't a which one is better question. Entry position et al issues need not apply here.
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I lay flatter in my Blackbirds than any of my Hennessys and my birds are also much more comfortable in positions other than on my back.
    Opinions are going to vary widely on this one.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    OES DLX Spinn, SWT
    Insulation
    SnugFit, MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I lay much flatter in my WBBB than my HH Deluxe Explorer....

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    is there a "mercy rule" (like little league baseball)?
    15 vote gap by the end of the first day and the poll gets cancelled...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    I've hung both beside each other and evaluated both with measurements and laying and also had some one physically measure the foot height of both at the bottom of the heel and the test results were that they were equal.

Additionally reflect on these facts...Overall the length and with measurements of both of these hammocks is 65x120 inches and at the manufacturer setting, the ridge line measurements are nearly equal 100 for the HH and 101 for the WB. Therefore the bottom lay will be near identical... The WB is more spacous on the top because of the band of side material thus contributing to it feeling flatter as it is roomier, but the bottoms are near equal... The entrance slit reinforcement on a HH may feel tighter than the center ridge of the WB, but it does not affect the flatness when the body is properly positioned in the HH.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I can get just as flat in both. In the HH I have to put my feet right to the netting and teh BB has the footbox which my feet go to. As Pan said it really is a toss up once you look at the measurements of both.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    is there a "mercy rule" (like little league baseball)?
    15 vote gap by the end of the first day and the poll gets cancelled...
    OK, I voted "flatter" for the WBBB, but only based on the fact that I can get get slightly better position on my left side with legs straight in my BB, as I can my Claytor No Net, compared to my HH Exp UL. So I assume it must be a little flatter.

However, flatter is not the entire story, and there needs to be something else considered if the comparison is to "asym HH" .

First of all, Pan mentioned the center ridge issue. But despite the Velcro center ridge, I find the HH Exp no worse as far as left calf pressure than the BB. In fact, possibly even slightly better. Though this may be because often the bottom on my HH popd open and gives me a tad more room in there. Regardless, with either one I am probably going to use something under my knees when on my back. And if so, one is just as comfortable as the other. Although, it is easier for me to get a roomy, open feel with the net away from my face with the BB than it is with the HH. But, that is not related to the subject of this thread.

Now the other thing I have to consider when discussing the dif between a WBBB and HH "Asym" is: I have a dif HH asym, i.e. Safari. The Safari(my No Net anyway) is the flatter compared to either of the above, and might very well not even require anything under my knees. Though I have not tested this out with an over night sleep. Now this hammock has it's own issues that might make it a poor choice for many or most. But there is def less pressure from the center ridge than any gathered end hammock I have used. Though it might not quite reach zero problem. Plus it is probably the best side sleeper.

But if flat is your primary criterion, look to a bridge hammock.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-24-2009 at 19:19.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Additionally reflect on these facts...Overall the length and with measurements of both of these hammocks is 65x120 inches and at the manufacturer setting, the ridge line measurements are nearly equal 100 for the HH and 101 for the WB. Therefore the bottom lay will be near identical... The WB is more spacous on the top because of the band of side material thus contributing to it feeling flatter as it is roomier, but the bottoms are near equal... The entrance slit reinforcement on a HH may feel tighter than the center ridge of the WB, but it does not affect the flatness when the body is properly positioned in the HH.

Pan
    Not to argue but...
    In my (admittedly limited) gathered end DIY hammocks, the lay of the hammock depends on 3 things...size of the material, shape of material, and whipping method.
    You covered the first 2 but you didn't discuss the fact that each of these hammocks is whipped completely different.
    I would say that 2 identical hammocks (BTW,the shape of these 2 are different) would have very different sweet spots depending on whipping.
    Also, I'm struggling with the definition of "flatness". Foot/head/butt measurements equal the feeling of "flatness"? (completely subjective, of course) I'd guess I could get equal foot/head/butt measurements on any gathered end hammock depending on the angle off the ridgeline. Would they all feel equally "flat"...no, not to me.
    I agree with BillyBob, if flatness is your only criteria, get a bridge...nothing flatter. But, that wasn't an option on this poll and we could muddy the waters forever adding other options.
    My $.02
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I voted flatter but IMO neither one is FLAT but "comfortable and not bent into a right angle." A flat surface is my bed, and that's not comfortable. Usually my most comfortable position is still an angle, head a little higher, spread out on my back or side. It's just easier to do in the BB than it was in the HH.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Not to argue but...
    In my (admittedly limited) gathered end DIY hammocks, the lay of the hammock depends on 3 things...size of the material, shape of material, and whipping method.
    You covered the first 2 but you didn't discuss the fact that each of these hammocks is whipped completely different.
    I would say that 2 identical hammocks (BTW,the shape of these 2 are different) would have very different sweet spots depending on whipping.
    Also, I'm struggling with the definition of "flatness". Foot/head/butt measurements equal the feeling of "flatness"? (completely subjective, of course) I'd guess I could get equal foot/head/butt measurements on any gathered end hammock depending on the angle off the ridgeline. Would they all feel equally "flat"...no, not to me.
    I agree with BillyBob, if flatness is your only criteria, get a bridge...nothing flatter. But, that wasn't an option on this poll and we could muddy the waters forever adding other options.
    My $.02
    AC, et al,

Good point on end finish.... There was a thread where much discussion went on and on.... But in the end there is little to no variance given that the same amount of material is used.... The HH pleat consumes about 4-5 inches, given how the rope attaches.... The seammed slot of the WB consumes the same 4-5 inches, given the finished edge fold and the multiple lines of stitching and the fact that both the top and bottom of the seam are required for the pocket... heck, the WB may actually consume an inch or two more... This would make the bottom shorter than a HH, to trade off against the tighter gather of the HH pleating... All in all, I am still convinced that as far as flattness is concerned, they are equal or really close to equal.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast