Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I couldn't believe the negativity surrounding this idea until I realized most everyone that thinks it's disgusting or gross lives in the south! No kidding, if my coldest nighttime lows in the winter were 30° I'd probably just get up and pee too, but when you're talking below zero and a lot of snow (you have to put on boots so your socks don't get wet) this becomes increasingly more desirable. HYOH and all, but I for one think this is an outstanding improvement upon my hanging over the side and hoping I don't piss on my quilts.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Most of the negative comments come from the South? Let's be supportive?

This is a basic hygiene issue - not a discussion of the best suspension. The region in question is home to a lot of bacteria - fecal coliform bacteria that can migrate from one area to another via the underwear. A man could sandblast his private parts and not get all the bacteria off. So whip it out in your hammock if you want - and I'll still think it's nasty if I want.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    SilvrSurfr, serious question, do you have children? After nine straight years of diaper changes nothing phases me anymore. To address your comments above I do recall a few people extolling the virtues of sleeping nude or as close to it as they could get in their quilts while hanging.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    SilvrSurfr, serious question, do you have children? After nine straight years of diaper changes nothing phases me anymore. To address your comments above I do recall a few people extolling the virtues of sleeping nude or as close to it as they could get in their quilts while hanging.
    I have three kids so I've changed my share of diapers, but never really considered wearing them myself despite the convenience factor and the ability to stay warm in my hammock on a cold night! Though I don't practice "breakfast from the hammock," I can see how it could be done without getting food in your hammock. "Breakfast from the urinal" I'm not so sure about.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

For us guys, a 22 oz bike water bottle with its water tight cap can work really well. If there is no convenient pockets to hold this container it's easy to attach a leash to haul it up or if you have demonstrated a competent cap and the temps are subfreezing keep it in the "bag" with you.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Somehow, peeing on the ground/floor under my hammock makes no sense to me. Doing it while in the hammock makes even less. Cold weather causes shrinkage and sometimes pipes leak. Don't want a leak in your hammock? Don't take one. Man up and at least do it in the garden.

Chamber pots caught on in the 6th century BC. Large laundry detergent bottles are an upgrade, plus, you can screw the top back on.
    Not hard to dump it into the toilet inside in the AM (unless you're doing the garden thing).

My qualifications as far as children: I'm the oldest of six kids. Have two plus grand kids. Showed my wife how to change diapers. Most of you won't remember the early 1950's, but there were no Pampers. Procedure was to take the dirty diaper off the kid, clean him/her up, install clean diaper. Take the used diaper and rinse out the used baby food in the toilet, wring out the diaper and toss it into the wash to get it clean for reuse.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    This thread reminds me of....

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    That puts a new meaning to a groggy wake up. Careful not to grab the wrong bottle for coffee....
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    My point in asking about kids and changing diapers wasn't to suggest wearing them to bed in a hammock, although that is a possibility, it was more to the point that touching my own clean privates during the night to pee into a bottle is probably somewhere in the millions on my top ten list of things I worry about. Since it was mentioned that fecal coliform seems to be on it's own camping trip in my skivvies I remembered way back, everyone on here having conversations about sleeping in the nude in their quilts and how it was next to heaven, so extrapolate that how you will. If you don't want to buy used gear from someone who pees in a bottle, you might want to add people who instead of taking their fecal coliform to a state park, allow it to roam free in a national park (if you get my drift).

While I personally wouldn't really want to pee under my hammock, there is the fact that most of the time, the majority of it will have soaked into the ground by the time I awake. Where I camp, I am quite sure that deer, raccoons, squirrels, mice, armadillos, and other critters unbeknownst to me have relieved themselves all over my campsite. I know because some critter left me a special present in my campfire ring last time I went camping. To think that MY urine is the one that's contamintaing up the place is pretty presumptious in my opinion. But hey, it's a big world and everyone is entitled to their own opinion and beliefs no matter whether they are right or wrong. Maybe getting your knickers in a twist is how that coliform gets around.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I couldn't believe the negativity surrounding this idea until I realized most everyone that thinks it's disgusting or gross lives in the south! No kidding, if my coldest nighttime lows in the winter were 30° I'd probably just get up and pee too, but when you're talking below zero and a lot of snow (you have to put on boots so your socks don't get wet) this becomes increasingly more desirable. HYOH and all, but I for one think this is an outstanding improvement upon my hanging over the side and hoping I don't piss on my quilts.
    Eh, I can see your point, somewhat. However, I wouldn't be just hanging over the side and hoping, anyway. I don't want to take even the slightest chance that I might get my quilts wet by mistake; they're what are keeping me warm at those temperatures. Especially if it's colder than what I normally experience down here; that sort of weather'll kill you if you're not careful, same as when it gets really hot down here.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast