Synmat 9 DLX/7 UL
    Suspension
    Stock Clark

what tarp

I have a couple of tarps.

1) The Clarke XL rainfly

2) Crazy Creek Standard Tarp

3) Hennesy Hammocks 70D HEX -SHAPED PU-COATED POLYESTER RIPSTOP RAINFLY

Both the crazy creek and the hennesy are heavier than the clark. The crazy creek has plenty of tie outs including pull outs?? that can be used to add more room inside. The hennesy covers more area.

In what types of situations might I want to use either the crazy creek or the hennesy over the clark tarp that came with the hammock?

I can see using the crazy creek if I am expecting a lot of wind since it has so many tie out points?? The hennesy if I am expecting a lot of rain maybe? But would either of those really be that much better than the clark?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES 10x12 catcut
    Insulation
    IX/Clima DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have the Clark Standard tarp, and it seems to me to be a more ornamental tarp than anything. The XL doesn't look too much better.

I would recommend using either of the others in order to get SOME wind and rain protection. The Henessey looks easier to set up than the Crazy Creek, and that's what I would go with.
    Be like Bob

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    I personally have no experience with any of those 3 tarps, however tarp choices vary on conditions and what you want/how you use it. If you want to "hang out" or sit around under your tarp then a larger tarp is better. In a high wind situation the smallest tarp that provides protection from wind(if you feel its needed) and rain is best as the smaller tarp has less area and hence works less like a sail. The angle that you pitch your tarp also has a serious impact on the size of tarp you need, a steep angle can get to a point below your hammock/UQ with noticeably less tarp width than one that is at a more gradual slope, but you have less room under it. Your ideal tarp is also affected by things like if you want to "porch mode" it to get a better view. The height above the hammock that you set the tarp up at also has an impact as a lower tarp will provide more coverage with less size. Generally most have a default tarp that we normally use and then we switch out if we are expecting certain conditions.

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    I use the HH hex tarp. So far the only feature that doesn't come with it that would be useful during winter is the doors. With that said, they can easily be added for a couple bucks. You can use the removable tie outs if needed.

Hammock
    Clark NA200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 DLX/7 UL
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Thanks for the input. I need to play around with the crazy creek and he hennesy to see which ones I like.

• + New Posts