Hammock
    Hennessay,Nicaraguan

The 'new guy' could use help, if it exist ;)

hello. for about a week now, i have been trying my Hennessy hammock for a full nights sleep. basically I would like to get the wrinkles out lol. before i go camping with it and leave the tent home!?
    With the 7 or so nights so far. I had 3 pretty good sleeps. deep sleep. with not much for wake up time. even though i'm in my home, its tougher than i figured to keep the bottom a good sleeping temp. trying sleeping pads, a sort of under quilt too. But the strangest part i'm having trouble thinking up a solution, if it exist. The HH is pretty cool but boy, not much for quiet as i so as i normally do when I sleep. change from back to side then the other way again. Roll sleeper?
    My wife in the mattress below me is sleeping less than I during this test phase, lol. But i'm determined. i love the idea of no tent, and just plain hammock sleep.
    Both of us actually ordered ourselves full time hammocks recently. Nicaraguans. I'm guessing the material in it will fix the noise at least. Still when i do get the hang of the HH, hope the Slippery shifting noises can be helped, dulled down at least.
    Remember i'm new to this, be gentle lol. Also suffer brain injury, maybe could use some of it for excuse there
    On the great note. its so awesome thinking we can sleep in hammocks full time. i have a broken elbow from my car accident. the ulna nerve is very close to the outside arm now. makes the one side sleeping in mattress, pretty awefull. but the hammock, well it fixes the elbow sleeping!
    Thanks People.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I have never noticed my HH being noisy. Maybe because I've only slept in it outside and I was more focused on the other noises.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    HH Expedition (zip)
    Tarp
    Stock Asym/Monsoon
    Suspension
    Biners w/o rings
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisPB View Post
    Still when i do get the hang of the HH, hope the Slippery shifting noises can be helped, dulled down at least.
    Hello Chris,
    I think it may simply be the nature of any nylon type of fabric when compared to comfy flannel sheets on your home mattress. In the outdoors, you may find that you are tired enough to sleep through the night after a long day's hike. It may also be that your mind gets accustom to the sounds of the fabric too. My down sleeping bag made with Pertex Ripstop is by nature, a louder fabric then the down duvet on my bed.

Cheers from the other coast!

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Welcome to HF Chris. The rolling around in a hammock will tend to disturb your sleep. I find using a mummy style sleeping bag helps because it moves with you - just keep the zipper towards the top as you lay on your back to make it easier to get in/out.
    Another option I have used: try laying on top of your blanket/sleeping bag and wrap it around you so the opening is on the top. I only use my Hennessy (bottom entry) in the warm weather (bug season) and this how I do it if it is too hot to be inside the sleeping bag - put the pad in place (I use a soft 30"X36" pad), lay your summer sleeping bag open on top of the pad, sit in the hammock in the center of the SB, adjust the head end, lay back, adjust the foot end, cover up as required.
    I hang my HH a little loose (ridgeline sags a couple inches) which seems to provide me with a flatter lay.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Honestly, I'd move my wife to another position a few feet away for a couple of reasons.

First, it's going to cut down on the amount of noise she has to put up with. Second, goodness forfend, if you have an hammock fabric or suspension failure (the most often cited cause here is sharp stuff in/on your person: make sure you take your keys out of your pocket when you go to bed!), you really don't want to land on her after a ~3-ft drop (note that this is not likely, about as likely as a bear attack or being struck by lightning; I just mention it as a risk-management strategy). Third, the ground directly underneath and between trees is likely to not be the most comfortable, level spot for her given that she's ground sleeping (roots tend to be there, and you may have to search out an uneven spot to find two trees the proper distance apart). Fourth, any...ahem..."nocturnal emissions" (think the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles) are going to be less than pleasant for anyone sleeping underneath you.

Anyway, my solution would to be to move her sleeping spot a few feet away for those reasons and see how she does with her sleep. If nothing else, it should cut down on the noise factor.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Hennessay,Nicaraguan
    Quote Originally Posted by supermario View Post
    Hello Chris,
    I think it may simply be the nature of any nylon type of fabric when compared to comfy flannel sheets on your home mattress. In the outdoors, you may find that you are tired enough to sleep through the night after a long day's hike. It may also be that your mind gets accustom to the sounds of the fabric too. My down sleeping bag made with Pertex Ripstop is by nature, a louder fabric then the down duvet on my bed.

Cheers from the other coast!
    Yes, I think your are correct. after some nights in it now. I feel that way too. most of those 'test nights' involved a nylon type sleeping bag. I'm squirmy so its gonna be noisy. of course, a lot of the noise was just reported to me by my 'ears of a wolf' wife. Tonight we take first sleep in Nicaraguan hammocks, more cloth like. I'm betting the noise issue is nulled. Also with the HH, i'm sure as well once i'm out in the wild with it. that particular slipping sounds will go unheard

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    I use a thermarest pad in my safari deluxe and it has kept me warm in most cases. It was down in the mid 30's one night over this Thanksgiving weekend and I was nice and toasty. I have been in colder weather with it, and I start getting cold, but as someone who doesn't mind a little cold sleeping I persevere. Of course it's all personal preference so you will have to evaluate what does and doesn't work for your comfort. As far as hammock noise, I know for the first minute or two I might make a little noise squirming around and getting adjusted, but after that is when the real noise kicks in and I start sawing logs. I usually get two comments about my snoring. First how loud it can be and second how fast it starts after I crawl into the hammock. Now when I wake up for my nature break I usually get to hear how much sawing goes on with the people who comment. If only it translated into real firewood.

• + New Posts