Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by specialscott97 View Post
    Ok thanks! What do you do with all the slack rope? And I just looked at the spectra, and is there any way that I can find it cheaper?
    Slack rope? After you tie the Spectra on and are happy with the method, you simply *remove* the slack. There might be cheap Spectra to be found, but I wouldn't. Your hammock strength is only as strong as the weakest link, and I wouldn't trust cheaper/lighter Spectra to hang me safely.

Images
    Ok, sounds good. I might have to hold off on that because that Spectra is $40, and thats pretty expensive. I know its worth it, but...oh well. There is a lower grade of Spectra, called Spectra 2 I believe, that is not as strong as the Plus, but its also only $20. Should I go with that or should I pay the extra for the strenght? Also, tying the spectra to the rope, would that not slip off? Would it be easier to tie directly to the hammock, as they show it in the instructions?
    When people say camping is for sissys, what does that make them....?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by specialscott97 View Post
    Ok, sounds good. I might have to hold off on that because that Spectra is $40, and thats pretty expensive. I know its worth it, but...oh well. There is a lower grade of Spectra, called Spectra 2 I believe, that is not as strong as the Plus, but its also only $20. Should I go with that or should I pay the extra for the strenght? Also, tying the spectra to the rope, would that not slip off? Would it be easier to tie directly to the hammock, as they show it in the instructions?
    I'd pay the extra for the strength. Wonder if someone like Just Jeff who owns some Aircore Plus would be willing to sell you some of his? You wouldnt need much. It should'nt slip off if you tie the right knot. Question is, what is the right knot?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    The jump shack sells 1500lb spectra for $0.32/ft minimum $25 order.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I purchased some of the Spectra from Jump Shack. I'm happy with it so far.

It's not really difficult to completely remove the HH rope and replace with smaller spectra that you can tie the rings directly to. Once you open the little cover you can see the knot and it's not that confusing. Open both ends but only remove from one end so you can refer to the other as you tie with the new material. It's less cumbersome having only 1 rope from the hammock to the rings instead of HH Spectra to other spectra to rings. And you can replace your HH Spectra later if you don't like the new setup. You'll need to be able to tie a bowline and a double sheet bend to complete the job.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images
    I am using some armsteel 7/64 spectra that I got for something like $.14 a foot (I think). There is a thread somewhere where everyone posted where they buy spectra and the cost.

Here is a thread talking about breaking strength of the line and the knot. There is a good link in there to a site that did a test and listed the results of how much certain knots weakened the line. They were on the order of 30-50%
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    Ok, thanks. Im going to just tie the HH Rope directly to the rings. A random question...I dont even have my hammock yet, I just ordered it Monday night, how long does it normally take to get to you?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    What is the diameter of the "Monster" rope on the Hennessy?

I've used rope up to 1/4" in diameter with the rings and it works just fine.

I see no reason that even a bigger diameter than 1/4" will work with the SMC rings. I think even up to 1/2" would work with no problem. Use an anchor hitch or a round turn with 2 half hitches or even a larks head. The anchor hitch or round turn with 2 half hitches would probably be easier to tie on thicker rope than the larks head though.
    I just kinda assumed the thicker stock Expedition rope would be more difficult. If not, then tying directly to the rings would be great.
    TeeDee, do you still think the bowline is good knot to tie to the rings as you've stated before? My bowline knots have been working well so far.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Ok thanks. Like I said I dont have my hammock yet, but when I get it, im going to experiment with most (that means inexpensive!) of these methods. Im still hooked on tying the HH rope directly to the rings. If that doesnt work, ill come back to you guys.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123