Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Maybe I over simplified the whole idea too much, but so far this is what I've been using. I may go to a slightly longer arrow shaft (this one is only 2.25"), but using fairly short tree straps (4') I'll probably never have to use a Marlin Spike Hitch. Anyone see anything wrong with this? I like it because the Whoopie's adjust very easily and it's very simple to use.

In case anyone's wondering what the black is on the arrow shaft, it's a ring of narrow tape from something I was working on and changed my mind... never took it off.

As we say in these parts, that's the Shishnizel! Simple, light, provides for whoopie adjustment, eliminates all but one piece of hardware (the toggle), this is it for me.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl w/DIY Risk style bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

frawg toggle variant II

aluminum tent stake, ala wally-world, cut to 2.5 inches, drilled, and attached to strap via miniature nylon line through a hole burnt through the strap with a hot nail. Used in a marlin spike hitch suspension.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Maybe I over simplified the whole idea too much, but so far this is what I've been using. I may go to a slightly longer arrow shaft (this one is only 2.25"), but using fairly short tree straps (4') I'll probably never have to use a Marlin Spike Hitch. Anyone see anything wrong with this? I like it because the Whoopie's adjust very easily and it's very simple to use.

In case anyone's wondering what the black is on the arrow shaft, it's a ring of narrow tape from something I was working on and changed my mind... never took it off.

I have used trail sticks in the exact way as the arrow shafts in this picture. I don't need to tie a marlin hitch rather just put the sticks in the end of the loops and put the whoopie around it like this picture. Works just fine for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Here's a good document that details how to tie the marlin hitch:

http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/marlin.pdf
    It has just occurred to me that a knot that I often used, for years, for tightening up tarp lines, which I have been calling a "slippery truckers hitch" because I didn't know what to call it, is essentially a MSH. I can't see much if any difference.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    It has just occurred to me that a knot that I often used, for years, for tightening up tarp lines, which I have been calling a "slippery truckers hitch" because I didn't know what to call it, is essentially a MSH. I can't see much if any difference.
    Looks like you're a step ahead of the game then BB.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I agree, I use that knot (slippery truckers hitch) frequently to tie down boats on racks. It seems the exact same thing. I like the quick release of it.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Images
    Nope, I think I am wrong about those knots being the same, and I see where I was confused. Though they tie in a very similar fashion, both involving a bight through a loop. On the MSH, the bight that goes under and through the overhand loop, is formed in the standing line on the tree side. I'm not sure whether this would function as a slippery truckers hitch or not, but I was having some difficulty with it.

But when I tied it in my normal fashion ( webbing was making everything harder, I am used to rope with these knots), I formed the overhand loop with a "twist", then made the bight on the "working" end- or the end farther from the tree- and slipped that bight back through the 1st loop. Then of course working end around tarp stake or whatever, and back through that bight and tighten up.

So, very similar to tie but bight formed on opposite sides of the 1st loop. I'm not yet sure if each would function for the other, but when I start practising in the woods I am going to try and tie the MSH exactly per these instructions.
    http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/marlin.pdf

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567