Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images

3.875oz bugnet, silk gauze

I used 7 yards of 3mm (momme) 45" wide white silk gauze from Dharma Trading. About $18.

I cut the yardage into 2 equal lengths (3.5 yards) and sewed the long uncut edges together, making a tube. I sewed a channel on each end and gathered the ends: at the foot end with a short piece of very light shock cord (so it would stretch to get over the ring on my suspension but still keep bugs out) and the other with lightweight cord and a cord lock.

It remains attached to the hammock at the foot (stores nicely in a bishop bag) and is deployed by pulling it over me and the hammock and cinching it up while inside the net. I use a structural ridgeline on my hammocks, which keeps the net off my face.

The silk is very fine and is very easily snagged. I am quite proud that I managed to deploy it in a forest of Ponderosa Pine and not get it snagged on any lurking pinecones. I don't know how long this net will last but it will do for now.

I like a lot of sag in my long hammock, so this net is not really wide enough to accommodate that sag. I had to lengthen the ridgeline to make up for the width issue. The next net will be made with a diamond shaped gusset in the center of one long seam to provide "butt room".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Liz -

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    That looks great! Is it a finer mesh than nanoseeum or tulle?

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    looks great,,, how good is the air flow through it?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Wow. That's a lot lighter than NoSeeUm. Let us know how it works out.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Air flow is just fine through it, although it is quite soft so will blow around easily and tends to cling to things.

I think it is equivalent to no-see-um mesh until the it (silk) gets a snag or a run in it.

Silk is on the left, no-see-um from Quest Outfitters on the right in the attached photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Liz -

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Nice work! It really looks much finer than the no-see-um in that picture. Hard to believe it would breathe very well, but if you've been inside of it I guess you should know. I know I'd have it all torn-up after 2 or 3 nights (cause I'm rough like that), but might be a good thing for those that are more careful with their gear. Cool!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Looks great! Can't wait for a field report after a few trips.

I thought for a moment that this might be a good enticement for the wife to get her back into a hammock (it is SILK, after all). But she'd just tear it up. She tends to eject things from the hammock during the night. :O Last time it was the top quilt, a Z-Rest pad and a fleece pullover. Ans she made me get up and cover her back up!!! I wonder if I could make a net like you did but out of ripstop nylon with huge "windows" of silk in the top?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Hard to believe it would breathe very well, but if you've been inside of it I guess you should know.
    Well, I've never been in a a no-see-um hammock net (just a head net) but I did not notice too much stuffiness in there. I did not use it most of the night since the skeeters were just out a dawn and dusk. Now the trip in mid June will be skeeter heaven, so I'll be able to give it a good try then.

My unscientific "breathe through the material" test tells me that it no more difficult to breathe through then no-see-um.
    -Liz -

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hmm - If the piece of silk you used was 3.5 yards x 45" and weighed 3.875 oz, then I compute that to be 0.886 oz/sq yard.

Nanoseeum is supposed to weigh 0.8 oz/sq yard and I think that's approximately the weight of the peice we have. The 48" wide stuff costs about 3 times what you paid for the silk.

The nylon and polyester organza we have weighs 0.8 oz/sq yard, is 60" wide and costs approximately $8 per linear yard or $4.00 per linear yard with store coupons. The organza comes in a wide variety of colors including black and white, but no camo

In our unscientific tests, we found that we couldn't rip by hand the organza any easier or harder than we could noseeum or nanoseeum. Essentially we couldn't rip organza by hand. So we think the organza is about as tough as noseeum.

We haven't measured the number of openings in the organza, but it appears visually to be about the same as noseeum and maybe a finer mesh.

The nylon or polyester organza, noseeum or nanoseeum isn't as affected by UV as the silk and it sure isn't as affected by rot as the silk.

The Organza we can get locally without S&H costs and without the shipping delay.

We get the weight advantage of the nanoseeum without the much higher cost.

We have switched totally to using Organza for the purpose of the noseeum.

Also, there is only a single source for nanoseeum.

Just another alternative.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Hmm - If the piece of silk you used was 3.5 yards x 45" and weighed 3.875 oz, then I compute that to be 0.886 oz/sq yard.
    I used the full 7 yards of silk for this net. Apologies if original description was unclear.
    -Liz -

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast