Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin Long
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Need Synthetic Underquilt

I've only posted here a few times, but I'm looking into the possibilities of an underquilt/overquilt combo that can get me down to 0 degrees (or colder) without weighing more than 3 1/2 lbs. Oh, and I want it to be synthetic.

I've never used underquilts, except for a USGI poncho liner that I jimmy-rigged with some shock cord and S-biners. It works great, but not for colder weather. I do have some skills on the sewing machine, so was considering making my own.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the top quilt doesn't need to have as much insulation as the bottom quilt if the hammock is enclosed? I have a canopy with complete enclosure, so wondering if that might be how I can keep the weight down.

Also, these need to be something I can use for ground sleeping for the occasion where trees aren't available.

Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I don't have much experience with synthetic insulation, but I believe that you will have a hard time finding a synthetic set-up under 3.5 lbs that will take you down to 0°F - unless you sleep *very* warm. Off the top of my head I only know two shops that sell synthetic top and underquilts: Arrowhead Equipment and Enlightened Equipment. Both don't offer 0° quilts, but they might make something for you custom. If you look at the 20° or 10° options, you will see that even that set-up is already close or over your limit:

Jarbridge River UQ, 42" x 58", 10°F - more than 20oz (unfortunately Arrowhead Equipment doesn't seem to believe in listing complete specs, but the description says that the 25° version weight around 20oz, which means the 10° uq will weigh more)
    Owyhee Top Quilt Regular, ?° - 1 lbs 11oz

Prospect Underquilt, 45" x 44", 20°F - 17.5oz
    > a 0°F underquilt this size would probably be around 20.5oz
    Prodigy Top Quilt, Short Slim (for people up to 5'6"), 20°F - 27.81oz
    > a 0°F top quilt this size would probably weigh ~38oz

Either you will have to carry more than you would like, or use down. Or you could get 25°/10° insulation and add a pad to boost warmth. Not sure if this would save you weight, though.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin Long
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I don't have much experience with synthetic insulation, but I believe that you will have a hard time finding a synthetic set-up under 3.5 lbs that will take you down to 0°F - unless you sleep *very* warm. Off the top of my head I only know two shops that sell synthetic top and underquilts: Arrowhead Equipment and Enlightened Equipment. Both don't offer 0° quilts, but they might make something for you custom. If you look at the 20° or 10° options, you will see that even that set-up is already close or over your limit:

Either you will have to carry more than you would like, or use down. Or you could get 25°/10° insulation and add a pad to boost warmth. Not sure if this would save you weight, though.
    Well, that's kind of what I'm thinking anyway. I'll probably have my Ridgerest with me in most situations for when sleeping on the ground. Thing is, I also plan on having a stove for a hot tent (which I will modify my current tarp to work as, or will fashion my own,) so my sleep set-up is already heavy with the Clark hammock. I live in the NW, so that's why I'm partial to the idea of synthetic.

What I may do is go with something like the HPG Serape or the Kifaru Woobie Express, which are both synthetic, and then use a hydrophobic down for the bottom quilt.

Thanks for the reply.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Unfortunately, you've chosen criteria that aren't really available.

The best synthetic for large-panel items (such as quilts) on the market is Climashield APEX. For a 0* F rating, you're going to need (per this thread) a minimum of 7.5 oz/sq yd APEX. That works out to be ~21 oz of insulation for a full-length underquilt and ~24 oz of insulation for the top quilt (I'm assuming a ~6', 200 lb sleeper here; this might be off by as much as 4-6 oz depending on how much less/extra size you need in both quilts). If you use the current state-of-the art 0.67 oz/sq yd shell fabrics (ARGON, M50, or NoBul1), the ballpark for both quilts is somewhere around 80 oz or 5 lbs.

If you choose to go with 900 FP down and the same shell materials (with 0.7 oz/sq yd baffle material like Nanoseeum), you're looking at an all-in weight (using the same dimensions as above) of ~62 oz or 3.75 lbs (per Meteor's and Cat Splat's DIY calculators).

Note that these estimates are based upon DIY calculators that I've yet to check the math on. However, they've done me fairly well down to ~20* F in being true to temperature ratings, so I'm inclined to trust 'em.

Your best bet is going to be down at that temp. Synthetics won't even get you close to your desired temp rating at your desired weight.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Using a sock or an underquilt protector will add some extra degrees to any setup for very little weight.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

• + New Posts