DD frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    PLUQ & PLOQ
    Suspension
    UCR

Long term hammock problems??

I've been sleeping in my hammock every single day at home.... And I think I'm developing a lower back problem....

Think it's related?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Possibly. I really think it's up to the individual's body. Not trying to play devils advocate, but I'm convinced it's not right for everyone. Just because some indians did it a bazillion years ago doesn't make it better, healthy or normal. Humans slept on rocks, hammocks, logs, leaves, matresses, etc. throughout time with all different degrees of comfort.

I would go back to the bed for a week or so and see if it goes away. Then get back into the hammock to see if it comes back.

You may have even done something recently without realizing it. If you run, did you start using new shoes or increase your distance? Do some lifting at work? Sit/stand all day when you usually don't? I recently starting using an elliptical a few days each week and that got my back hurting for a day, but nothing major. Lots of variables to consider.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' - Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    WL OMW or Tadpole
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/kevlar
    Images
    I have not slept in my hammock every night, but I have done a week at a time, and I have much less pain than when I sleep in our bed (very good mattress, still has pressure points). But I am with Markr6, everybody is different and his suggestion for switching back is a good idea to let you evaluate it. Also make sure your lay is good, I had one of the fellows I got into hammocks have an issue because he was sleeping "twisted". He never mentioned he was having an issue with a ridge and was trying to sleep around it (as he called it). Got his lay adjusted at a camp out when a couple of us checked his gear and he reports all is good last time I talked to him. Good luck.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Possibly. I really think it's up to the individual's body.
    There's also factors about the hammock itself to consider. Personally, I prefer hammocks without structural ridgelines, even the slightest difference in sag can change the lay drastically.

Hammock
    Wide Netless Dutchwaregear
    Tarp
    DIY HEX/LiteAF DCF
    Insulation
    JRB MT W3 JRB SS
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by hk2001 View Post
    There's also factors about the hammock itself to consider. Personally, I prefer hammocks without structural ridgelines, even the slightest difference in sag can change the lay drastically.
    Did you mean with a structural ridgeline? If not, how do you get your sag to be consistent every time you hang?

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Sleeping in a hammock absolutely helped my lower back issues. Have spent many hundreds of nights in a hammock and of the issues I've encountered, lower back is not one of them. That said, my experience has nothing to do with yours. Any insight I can offer is generally anecdotal but may be of some use nonetheless.

A proper hammock - firm preferred over stretchy, entry level hammock are not the way to go for long term sleeping plans imho

Suspension - getting the hammock to to have the appropriate amount of sag and comfort involves not just a ridge line but also a dialing in period which is where an adjustable ridge line length helps

Shoulder squeeze - wide enough fabric to find your sweet spot helps, 60" is frequently enough though many prefer more width

Pillow - I think it's the C6/C7 combo that has the nerve bundle passing out through your shoulder, improper neck support can lead to shoulder pain often mistaken for shoulder squeeze

Knee support - in a gathered end hammock, on of your knees may be hyperextending, putting a little something under your knee (footbox side) helps

Switch it up - if you are good in a bed, no morning back pain, use a bed, get your baseline and then make note of your feeling in the AM after sleeping in a hammock, switch up the hammock configuration and repeat

Best of luck.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    well said ratdog

for me sleeping full time in a hammock is the best thing ever and I have no more morning 1-2 hour get mobile feeling anymore
    I am 52 years old and never had good sleep in my bed since I turned about 40 or so

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Something similar to that happened to me. I persisted and what it turned out to be was my lower back repositioning into a healthier position (I've had lower back issues since I was little). After a few weeks, I felt so loose and had so much more energy. That's my experience anyway.

One of the first things I noticed when I began sleeping in my Mayan, was how much tension I held in my body when laying down. The hammock taught me to consciously relax everything from my head down to my toes. As far as people go, I'm actually a fairly relaxed being compared to others.

But as others say, everyone's body is different. So just be aware. Check your positioning and give it a chance. Even mattress makers say to give a bed a few weeks for your body to adjust to it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    First questions I would ask is how old you are, how fat you are, and how often do you exercise? I'm in my 50s and have had back problems off and on since I started being a sedentary slug (30 years old, about the time I got married). If I stay in shape and exercise, no lower back problems. If I don't, misery.

When my back does act up, sleeping in a hammock definitely helps.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DD frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    PLUQ & PLOQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    First questions I would ask is how old you are, how fat you are, and how often do you exercise? I'm in my 50s and have had back problems off and on since I started being a sedentary slug (30 years old, about the time I got married). If I stay in shape and exercise, no lower back problems. If I don't, misery.

When my back does act up, sleeping in a hammock definitely helps.
    26 170# I'm a mechanic and always active.

I haven't checked the thread honestly because lately the pain has been fading out.
    I must have just done something the day before.

I was worried though. Maybe hammocks have had a history of longterm effect.
    I've been sleeping in it for a long time now... I threw away my bed because I sleep so much better.

It would have sucked big time to find out that I would have to rotate after a year or so....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast