Thread: Apostle islands

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images

Apostle islands

Hey everyone
    Looking to go to the Apostle Islands sometime during the first part of august and am wondering which islands have the best sea caves and which islands are the most hammock friendly? What are the chances of getting to, for example, Sand Island, and not being able to find a place to hang? Any and all feedback is welcomed. 😊
    Debi

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I was at the Apostle Islands in August 2013 and 2014. I used a hammock on Sand, York, Devils, Cat, Outer, Oak, South Twin, and 2 sites on Stockton. This past August there were 3 hammockers in the group and we always found sites. On Sand but we managed to find 3 sites although my site was slightly outside the designated camping area. There is at least one more site on Sand but I didn't look at it. Some sites could support many hammocks and at some it would be hard to find more then 2 sites if you stay within the designated area. One of the outfitters told m that some of the guides use hammocks. The park service does not seem to have any problem with hammocks. You will love the Apostles. Great kayaking! I'm sure I will be going back again this coming summer.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    The mainland sea caves are easy to get to and quite impressive but I think that the Sand Island caves are even better. The day that we paddled along the Devils Island caves the wind and waves prevented close inspection but they did not seem as extensive or impressive as the other 2. There are a few caves and sea stacks on the east side of Stockton but not nearly as impressive as sand and the mainland.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    Awesome, thank you Act! I've been to Bayfield a couple of times but never paddled to the islands, have been meaning to for the last two years. Going this year. No ifs, ands, or buts! What was your favourite island?
    Debi

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Best Island is Sand , easy to get to has sea caves, nice beaches, and a light house . No the best hammock campsite though. Paddle over to York and camp there.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfwit
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    The lighthouse on Sand is not usually open for tours. There is not any camping on Raspberry but it is well worth a stop for the lighthouse tour. A very interesting step back in history. Very nicely restored and maintained. Cat probably has the best hammock site but it is in the woods and the bugs can be bad. Stockton is big and varied but there are many campsites and at times it seems too crowded. It doe have a very interesting bog with various carnivorous plants which is located near Julian bay. Every island has some interesting aspect.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    This is great! Please keep the suggestions coming...we have four to five days to spend there and want to make the most if it
    Debi

• + New Posts