Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plaunius View Post
    Ordered my NX-250 last night. I have a Speer Winter tarp so I opted out of the stock tarp. I will be using it next weekend and can't wait. These reviews are very helpful. I will return to add my own review when I get back.

Having not seen the hammock, my initial concern was if the bugnet/weathershield will sag in the center if the hammock is hung loose? I like some sag so I can lay on my side.

Can anyone help answer that for me? Thanks!
    You'll have no problems. You can lie on your side with no issues. I even found myself lying partly on my stomach at one point. I am a tossing sleeper and I was able to thrash about with no problems.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rocrunr View Post
    Good to hear positive responses to clark hammocks,I am looking at the new vertex by clark anyone have any imput on the vertex. Thanks Rocrunr
    Check out cavediver2's review of it in the Clark Hammocks forum. I'd love to get one too, but the $600 price tag is a little too steep for me.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Some more thoughts from me:

z-liner - worked fine at 4 degrees (celcius), was very warm with just a quilt in shorts and a merino top. however, when you wriggle about trying to find a good sleeping position, the wriggling can dislodge the velcro foot end pad. didnt matter to me as it wasnt that cold but when it is, a really fresh cold wind would get dow in there and make you cold

Tarp - it's too small by far. For rainy weather, especially heavy rain there's no way its big enough. i m ordering a mact cat.

Pluses - VERY comfortable. had such amazing nights sleep in it, and the pockets are incredibly handy as well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Some more thoughts from me:

z-liner - worked fine at 4 degrees (celcius), was very warm with just a quilt in shorts and a merino top. however, when you wriggle about trying to find a good sleeping position, the wriggling can dislodge the velcro foot end pad. didnt matter to me as it wasnt that cold but when it is, a really fresh cold wind would get dow in there and make you cold

Tarp - it's too small by far. For rainy weather, especially heavy rain there's no way its big enough. i m ordering a mact cat.

Pluses - VERY comfortable. had such amazing nights sleep in it, and the pockets are incredibly handy as well.
    NickJ - Although I did have the same exact problems/concerns that you did, I didn't feel they necessarily warranted a negative review since a. I know I move around FAR more than most sleepers and b. there are other tarps out there if you want to upgrade to a larger one.

I had another thought as well for EXTREMELY (zero or subzero weather). When the Z-liner is installed there is still plenty of room in the pockets. Had anyone considered "doubling" up the bottom pocket liners and thereby having 2 in each pocket? They would easily velcro to one another and still leave plenty of room for gear. By just filling the 6 pockets with an extra liner it would act as another half underquilt. I checked on the Clark website, and to order ONLY the pocket liners would be $134... not bad for a 1/2 or 3/4 UQ!!
    Last edited by Triptease; 11-04-2009 at 13:56. Reason: Wrong Price

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    Clark RX-250
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Strps & Whpies

Z-Liner "Doubling Up"

I had another thought as well for EXTREMELY (zero or subzero weather). When the Z-liner is installed there is still plenty of room in the pockets. Had anyone considered "doubling" up the bottom pocket liners and thereby having 2 in each pocket? They would easily velcro to one another and still leave plenty of room for gear. By just filling the 6 pockets with an extra liner it would act as another half underquilt. I checked on the Clark website, and to order ONLY the pocket liners would be $79... not bad for a 1/2 or 3/4 UQ!![/QUOTE]

Hi mak52580: I think that you have a good idea there. I have the Z-Liner on my NX-250 and came to the same thought about "doubling up" the pocket liners for seriously low temperatures. There is plenty of room and the price is good.

I also think that layering another UQ or poncho liner over the Z-Liner would serve well at very low temperatures. I have recently used my JRB MW3 UQ installed over the Z-Liner system to add warmth at temps down to 20 degrees. That worked out very well. With both UQs in place, I felt that it could have been much colder with no problems.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    I checked on the Clark website, and to order ONLY the pocket liners would be $79... not bad for a 1/2 or 3/4 UQ!!
    DUDE! I had no idea that you could order the pieces individual. I just checked and the foot end alone is $55. Thanks for the tip!

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mak52580 View Post
    NickJ - Although I did have the same exact problems/concerns that you did, I didn't feel they necessarily warranted a negative review since a. I know I move around FAR more than most sleepers and b. there are other tarps out there if you want to upgrade to a larger one.

I had another thought as well for EXTREMELY (zero or subzero weather). When the Z-liner is installed there is still plenty of room in the pockets. Had anyone considered "doubling" up the bottom pocket liners and thereby having 2 in each pocket? They would easily velcro to one another and still leave plenty of room for gear. By just filling the 6 pockets with an extra liner it would act as another half underquilt. I checked on the Clark website, and to order ONLY the pocket liners would be $79... not bad for a 1/2 or 3/4 UQ!!
    Mak - it's an expensive piece of kit, hence I think that any review should look at it with a critical eye.

Yes you can buy a different tarp, but come on, at the kind of money a 250 costs, you expect the tarp to be right. Partly personal preference I know, but for any kind of wind or rain it's too small in anyones book.

In terms of the velcro. I don't wriggle that much at all. However, having now messed around with it since the weekend I've found the velcro "sets" better when you really take the time (ie dont do it in the field).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post

Yes you can buy a different tarp, but come on, at the kind of money a 250 costs, you expect the tarp to be right. Partly personal preference I know, but for any kind of wind or rain it's too small in anyones book.
    I think you are right that it all depends on personal preference. I agree that it is small, but I also think that I can live with it. It takes some experience being able to stake it out at the right angle, knowing how to set it up as a lean-to, A-frame, with trekking poles, etc. And if it gets very windy or cold, it has the velcro at both ends to completely "batten down the hatches." So although I would "prefer" a larger one, I think that is a complaint for many people regardless of which hammock they buy. I may not be entirely knowledgable on the matter since I am fairly new to hammocking, I can only assume that the "stock" tarp that comes with most hammocks is about the same size.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post

I also think that layering another UQ or poncho liner over the Z-Liner would serve well at very low temperatures. I have recently used my JRB MW3 UQ installed over the Z-Liner system to add warmth at temps down to 20 degrees. That worked out very well. With both UQs in place, I felt that it could have been much colder with no problems.
    I agree. I would love nothing better than a JRB UQ, but the money isn't there right now, and if I can get down to the same temps for $79 and a more compact overall package then I can live with that! If I had one, I certainly wouldn't be seeking out other alternatives lol.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Mak, I'm new to hammocking too, but definitely not new to living outdoors with tarps etc. I like the design and cut of the tarp which comes with the 250, but in storm conditions, and even in heavy rain (which I had two nights of last weekend) it doesn't give enough coverage. It's difficult to get undressed and stay dry in the process, and driving rain can get under it. The storm shield works brilliantly, and I love the fact that the sil nylon is so light, but my other complaint about it is that the seam isnt sealed. The construction of the hammock in general is excellent I think, but to sell a product of this calibre and cost with an unsealed seam is lame.

Lookign at the pictorial diagram on the clark site, the tarp for the vertex might work better for the nx250 than the one it comes with. I don't really fancy the idea of the envelope set up with the velcro. How do you get into it with it all velcro'd up?!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast