WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks for the great review. I am hoping to get mine out of the backyard and onto the trail for the first time this weekend. I hadn't tried to stuff the entire thing into the built-in pocket with the Z-liner installed and had instead been using a compression sack. I think I'll give it a try just for giggles tonight.

I also was a little depressed about the size of the interior pockets. It seems that I wouldn't even be able to fit my iPod Classic into one of them. No big deal overall though. As seen in one of Shug's videos, you can just make a pocket out of no see-um netting. I am lazy, and don't have a sewing machine, so I bought these. They also seem to work really well and are also non-existent weight-wise. I just clip one off to my interior ridge line and it hangs up and out of the way. I had originally thought that having 2 would be overkill, but then realized that a Nalgene fits perfect into them so I can have water in one and my iPod, headlamp, watch, etc. in the other. They also completely pack up with the hammock as well so there's no need to detach them every time.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Mak, I tried to get mine (with z liner) into the integral pocket - no chance whatsoever. I'm amazed at whoever said they could do this, there just isnt the room!

You might also be interested in my new hanging system, mak. To put it in context, I'm 6'4 and about 250lb.

I replaced the lines with 10mm dyneema (not cheap) attached at the ends with a bowline and a safety knot. At the tree end, a tree hugger (clark) and a carabiner on that. Attached to the carabiner, a Petzl Tibloc. To hang, just push the rope through the tibloc until the hand is right, cinch is down and you're done. A tibloc is a small steel device with teetch. The 'biner puts pressure on the rope and forces it up into the tiblocs teeth. This is a bomb proof, simple, lightweight solution. No cinch buckles, no marlin spikes, no whoopie slings. If you're interested I can post a pic.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    Mak, I tried to get mine (with z liner) into the integral pocket - no chance whatsoever. I'm amazed at whoever said they could do this, there just isnt the room!
    My fault! It was me but I didn't say that you could, (I don't have the Z-liner). I said that because the stuff sack was so large, I felt that you could. It was a guess based on the extra room left over. Thanks though for trying and letting us know it isn't possible. I plan on buying a Z-liner in Feb.

That makes me wonder if the stuff sack may be larger now. Did the original NX-250 come with the Velcro sewn onto the bottom for the Z-liner? In the picture on the Clark site, it isn't there. There is a slim chance that once the Z-liner came out, they increased the size of the interior stuff sack to incorporate it. Its not likely but possible.

I changed my suspension before the UPS truck got out of my neighborhood. Here is what I have now.

Hammock
    switchback
    Hey Nick--
    If you could post pics of the set up you describe, I would be interested in seeing it....It sounds very interesting....Where do you get the teeth device youa re talking about and how much do they sell for?
    Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post

You might also be interested in my new hanging system, mak. To put it in context, I'm 6'4 and about 250lb.

I replaced the lines with 10mm dyneema (not cheap) attached at the ends with a bowline and a safety knot. At the tree end, a tree hugger (clark) and a carabiner on that. Attached to the carabiner, a Petzl Tibloc. To hang, just push the rope through the tibloc until the hand is right, cinch is down and you're done. A tibloc is a small steel device with teetch. The 'biner puts pressure on the rope and forces it up into the tiblocs teeth. This is a bomb proof, simple, lightweight solution. No cinch buckles, no marlin spikes, no whoopie slings. If you're interested I can post a pic.
    Yeah I tried mine last night too... not a chance that thing was fitting in the attached stuff sack with the Z-liner installed. For now I just need to keep using a compression sack to get it small enough to fit in my pack but I'm worried what the constant compression will do to the ClimaShield in the Z-Liner. I am thinking about trying to make a set of the pocket liners out of down to cut weight and make it more compressible and so that the insulation won't degrade over time like the Z-liner does. Unless of course anyone has sewing skills that would be willing to do it for a modest fee. I'm taking applications.

The Tibloc idea is interesting. If you can post pics I think it would help me to envision how its set up.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Will do. its 19:41 here and dark so once its not raining (!) i ll sort it out.

cost wise tiblocs are about 25 bucks for you guys. just google "petzl tibloc"

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Plaunius,

What type of line is that you're using? AmSteel? Other? What size is it?

Just curious. Thanks.

For now, I'm using a short section of Clark's stock line. It's what I've got the descender rings attached to, as part of my ring buckle set-up. Straps and Dutch Clips complete the suspension set-up.

I'm looking into getting some smaller diameter line, since I'm not happy with Clark's stock stuff.
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    Plaunius,

Just curious. Thanks.

For now, I'm using a short section of Clark's stock line. It's what I've got the descender rings attached to, as part of my ring buckle set-up. Straps and Dutch Clips complete the suspension set-up.

I'm looking into getting some smaller diameter line, since I'm not happy with Clark's stock stuff.
    Whether it is or not, you definitely can't go wrong with Amsteel. I switched over a couple of weeks ago and I'm hooked.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    ok here's a close up. carabiner attached to a tree strap on the left, and the tibloc just slides onto the carabiner at the other end. Hammock is to the right. when force is applied to the hammock (ie me in it), it pulls the dyneema up into the teeth of the tibloc. what also happens is the tibloc is pulled slightly right as the teeth grip, and the steel shank of the 'biner is then forced against the cord, which traps the dyneema against it, and up into the tibloc. it works a bit like a belay.

The are used for emergency stops for climber falls etc, and for ascending instead of using prussics. To adjust it, simply lift the right hand end of it to release the teeth, and push or pull your cord either way to adjust. then just sit down and thats it! This is a bombroof solution. there is no physical way that the cord can slip through the tibloc assuming you use the recommended width of cord (which is anywhere between 8mm and 11mm). If you were feeling a bit paranoid you could put a loop directly above it in the cord, but it's not neccessary. I've used 10mm dyneema here, which is total overkill. I might switch it for 8mm.

So clearly the adjustment here is at the tree end. the cord is secured to the hammock with a bowline and a stopper knot. you could do this the other way around if you expect heavy rain during your set up. just thread a carabiner through the hammock end (where the stock rope goes through) and attach the tibloc to the other end of the biner. at the tree end, you could use straps and another biner (bowline in cord obviously) or just a marlin spike hitch. then you can make your adjustment whilst under the tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/Speer/Clark
    Tarp
    SpeerWT/HG Custom
    Insulation
    HGear UQ &TQs
    Suspension
    Whoopies/SShackles
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    Plaunius,

Just curious. Thanks.

It is 1/8 Vectrus. I'm very new to making my own support and read something about Vectrus 12 and ordered some. A week later I read about Amsteel which is stronger but both will do the job. Vectrus has a tensile strength 2,000 and Amsteel at 2,500lbs. Both are plenty stong. If I buy more line I will most likely buy Amsteel because (in my best Spinal Tap British voice) "Its an Eleven".

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast