Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    Are you using the Warbonnet seam (grosgrain bound)?

I have some of this stuff: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/cnt...e-Adhesive.htm Last night I painted it onto a practice seam on a piece of silpoly. It dried to a thin, transparent and flexible layer. I can scrape it off, but it is much harder to do so than Silnet. Also, where I peeled it off, it tore along the line of stitches and remained around the stitching.

I have not had the time to seal and test the Membrane tarp with it, but I think this might work.
    Thank you for continuing to update us on the seam sealing Squid. Both the Membrane and the silpoly are effectively new coatings compared to our 1.1 oz mini-sil. The Membrane is done at a totally different textile mill and the silpoly is using a new coating process albeit from the same mill. There were some changes implemented in this round of coating to improve the overall quality of the process and what we're seeing with the sealant bond is most likely an interaction with any slight changes in the sil coating properties/composition.

Continue to keep us updated on your test panel results if you would and I'll talk to the mills in parallel. Perhaps they can shed some light on the chemical composition of the coating that will point us in the right direction.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

RipstopbytheRoll can you show the seam you are using? It would be nice to profile it on your site so people know there is an issue with typical construction methods

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    Thank you for continuing to update us on the seam sealing Squid. Both the Membrane and the silpoly are effectively new coatings compared to our 1.1 oz mini-sil. The Membrane is done at a totally different textile mill and the silpoly is using a new coating process albeit from the same mill. There were some changes implemented in this round of coating to improve the overall quality of the process and what we're seeing with the sealant bond is most likely an interaction with any slight changes in the sil coating properties/composition.

Continue to keep us updated on your test panel results if you would and I'll talk to the mills in parallel. Perhaps they can shed some light on the chemical composition of the coating that will point us in the right direction.
    Hi Kyle, The best seam sealer would be the same liquid that was used to waterproof the material in the first place. This is why 100% liquid silicone works so well on silnylon.
    If you can get the mfg to sell you the liquid you will have the fix to this issue.

-O&B

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    So far, the Locite Vinyl,Fabric & Plastic Adhesive seems to be holding. I applied a thin coat to the line of stitches and it remains intact after a few cycles of stuffing/unstuffing the tarp this past week-end. It even endured a light rain one morning. That's better than the Silnet performed: it began to peel after the first time I stuffed the tarp into it's bag.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/6/2...e-Adhesive.htm
    I think I'll coat the inside too for good measure, since it seems to be sticking.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Isn't the inside already coated with sil?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Isn't the inside already coated with sil?

Quote Originally Posted by ripstopbytheroll View Post
    The problem I encountered was seam-sealing the ridgeline seam (I used a flat-felled seam). I applied Silnet to the line of stitches as I have done before with silnylon tarps, but the silnet began to peel off after a short time.
    This http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/6/2...e-Adhesive.htm was an experiment to find something else that will stay adhered to this new material and seal the stitches.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    I misunderstood. Sounded like you were doing a larger area than the seam. Roger that.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    So far, the Locite Vinyl,Fabric & Plastic Adhesive seems to be holding. I applied a thin coat to the line of stitches and it remains intact after a few cycles of stuffing/unstuffing the tarp this past week-end. It even endured a light rain one morning. That's better than the Silnet performed: it began to peel after the first time I stuffed the tarp into it's bag.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/6/2...e-Adhesive.htm
    I think I'll coat the inside too for good measure, since it seems to be sticking.
    Thanks for the update squid. Glad you found something that is working well now. Going to try and get this info on the site today.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Don't have any pics handy but-
    I have used a "standing seam" successfully a few times. Basically I use a larger S.A. at the Ridgeline seam. 2 1/4" typically, which lets me stitch through 6 layers of fabric and creates a 3/4" wide finished standing seam. This works for lower tension tarps and creates similar strength to a Grosgrain ridgeline. Basically think of a flat felled seam but not "laid down". I use this type of seam specifically for light materials and to avoid the added weight of seam seal.

That said- I finished my Membrane tarp and used a roll width piece for the center piece, and two pieces of Sil-Nylon on the sides to complete the final shape. Again this design was to avoid seam sealing as the only stitches are in a non-critical area. FWIW- sewing Sil to Membrane was easy.

Agree with others as well- nice fabric to work with- easy to layout, cut, and sew compared to other 1.1 oz sil.

Hammock
    SLD's 12' Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Hand-sewn 12ft-er
    Insulation
    Hand-sewn down
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I have a membrane sil biker's bliss tarp made by jared over at simply light designs. It has just survived its first tropical downpour. No leaks so far with rather heavy sustained rain. I am not quite sure what seam seal jarred uses, but short of a little flaking that occurred during the initial curing time, it seems to be doing the trick.

And for any that don't like the idea of a black tarp overhead... The actual color is more of an indigo once the light gets into it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast