Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    We seem to get a lot more hanging converts on trips where it is raining. It's hard not to notice the difference between our dry and roomy living space compared to a tenter who is boxed up on the ground. Oftentimes, the tenters come over and hang out under the tarp with us. I love camping in the rain because it highlights so clearly the superiority of this gear concept. And I also like the time out aspects of rain - it gives me an excuse just to kick back and relax in dry comfort.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

See ... my ... trail ... name ... !!! LOL Sure, rain can be a hassle, depending on the situation, but it's not the "END of the WORLD" as some airhead radio personalities make out any time liquid sunshine is in the forecast.

My earliest childhood memory is of rain, and playing in the yard and especially in the ditch full of water on warm rainy summer afternoons.

My youngest (she's 21) got her first night in a hammock on the trail last year at Abingdon Gap Shelter, VA. I showed her how to put up my modified HH. She slept like a baby, ... and that doesn't mean waking up every hour crying. LOL There was a terrific thunderstorm that night and she slept right through it. When she did Amicalola-to-Neels-Gap alone this summer, she took my modified HH.

I think there were 6 or more people there that night at the Abingdon Gap Shelter. Interesting thing was, not a soul stayed in the shelter itself, in spite of the storm.

I also took my middle daughter on the AT back when she announced she'd like to thru-hike. We did Springer-to-Neels Gap. For three and a half days, it rained twice every day and at least once every night. Good break-in hike for her! She did her thru the following year. And I started section hiking then.

Anyway, "Rain Man" seemed like a good trail name, and it matches my initials and the movie didn't hurt, as my name is Raymond.

GO rain!

Rain Man

Last edited by Rain Man; 08-31-2009 at 09:58.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    there isnt much chance of rain here in the basin/range area of AZ with an annual average of just 8 inches.. but i like when it does rain. in the past ive had some underclothed cold rain hikes so i have purchased gear adequate to deal with hiking in rain. im looking forward to it actually..

rain on the tarp is one of two pleasant sounds that lull me to sleep, the other being a babbling creek.

like Drewboy says - converts do come out when it's wet. We just went out with a guy last weekend, who that following Monday purchased a new hammock, tarp, and te-wa UQ. Right on Ron! no more coffin! (poor guy used to sleep in a tiny msr hubba)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    So far this year it's been 100% chance of rain in AZ when going out on the trail with Te-wa.

Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    there isnt much chance of rain here in the basin/range area of AZ with an annual average of just 8 inches.. but i like when it does rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I definitely re-affirmed this weekend how much rain can work to help one fall asleep... and also how much rain can remind you to get out of the hammock to answer nature's call

I also learned the single worst detriment to sleep... CROWS. Stupid things would NOT let me sleep in, and I was comfortable in my hammock, with the dark storm clouds and rain otherwise putting me right to sleep. Who knew crows would be out cackling like that during a downpour??? Very strange.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO Double
    Tarp
    Superfly & SWT
    Insulation
    Snugfit/Prolite+
    Suspension
    WBStraps & Buckles
    Wife and I were out saturday for an overnight hang at Stone Mtn State Park, NC. We had finished dinner, getting late, fire dying down, we are sitting on the thermarest playing cards and then....a few sprinkles. I get so excited! Am like, let's get the thermarest back in the BB before it gets wet....we do that, shuffle the fire around to smother it, meet her under my tarp, the light taps of rain, a quick kiss good night, she off to her hammock, i climb in the bb, and then, like that, the rain stopped. I was so bummed.... So it was the ipod lulling me to sleep rather than the gentle rain.

You folks rock! I'm just getting my feet (and everything else) wet with the idea of hammock camping. Thanks for sharing what gear you use. I love the idea of being out no matter what the weather is doing. You've all just removed another obstacle.
    JJ Murphy
    www.TheJoyfulForager.com

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap

Thumbs up

loooooooooove hanging in the rain.....since i can't get to the mountains at this time, i settle for my local park, have it all to myself as i hang....quietly enjoying the geese and ducks in the pond in front of me....asd yes sometimes geese come up to my hammock!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap

Thumbs up

loooooooooove hanging in the rain.....since i can't get to the mountains at this time, i settle for my local park, have it all to myself as i hang....quietly enjoying the geese and ducks in the pond in front of me....and yes sometimes geese come up to my hammock!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Last spring, while turkey hunting, I came upon a large (~24"dbh) shumard oak that had taken a direct hit by lightning. There were firewood-size chunks of tree scattered all over the woods in a 100 yd circle around the main stem, which was still standing, and looked like a toothpick that has been chewed to a pulp.

Just sayin'...
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast