Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    I think you're very wise to try out your gear where you can bail. Sounds like you learned important things about your insulation setup. You've received advice on selecting a tarp with doors. I have enjoyed this utility with my Warbonnet Superfly and doors. Pretty handy option. In the short term though if you are on a trip and can't position your tarp more perpendicular to the wind, you might look into some inexpensive thin nylon and create a cover that offers some protection on the open end of your tarp. Not a good fix but an alternative to try out.

You mentioned wind on your face. I've had similar problems a couple times and figured out that I could shift my underquilt protector upward. You might consider this option even if you're using pads. The protector can act as an adjustable windjacket letting you sort of hide down below its edge a bit. Wind will still blow but the protector could deflect it for you.

Good luck.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    VAllen Wint Dream
    Insulation
    Clima Shield TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs w
    Yes. Always a good idea to test new gear before heading out.
    I have a habbit of keeping a peice of Tyvek in my bag in case I ever have to go to ground. I ussually wrap my pack and boots in it to keep tbem out of the elements.

Hammock
    SLD Tree Runner DL
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20+1
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    All great advise. Thanks a lot guys!!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk i View Post
    Well Noobie here decided to test run my 1st hang in the cold prior to the hike next week. Low was 28*, 66% humidity and a ever slight breeze. I didn't have a decision on my hang position for wind so it sometimes blew over my head towards my feet. I have a Eno DN, Eno fly. I am using a layer of Reflextics with A Neo air XTherm sleeping pad and REI Zenith 0* bag. I put up the unit and laid all gear in hammock in the afternoon to let all products get to outside temps before dark.
    I entered the unit in thermal clothes and a pair of socks. I was amazed how warm I was all night !! I could feel the heat radiate out of my bag up my neck area like a forced air heater lol.
    Issues to address....learned that when finalizing hammock, lay in the hammock with all gear for perfect placement of bag. I got out 3 times pushing my gear up higher for my head to be higher. However I fought this all night. Although it didn't make my sleeping uncomfortable
    I woke up only a couple times and each time was from the "fire" burning sensation of the breeze blowing across my face. I don't enclose my face tight with the mummy bag.
    I also am wondering if my fly should be higher? I felt like I was crawling into a tent but if I do then I have less wind resistance under my hammock.
    I also noticed with breeze the fly would not have protected me from moisture nor my boots underneath is this because I had to hang in a bad placement?
    Overall excited for my trip.
    Good on you for testing where you can bail! FLRider's First Rule of Gear Testing: Do it where you bail if things go sideways.

That being said, the advice you've gotten so far is good. Hang your foot end a little higher than your head end and it will help eliminate that sliding down feeling; for me, this most often manifests as too much calf/heel pressure.

A note on tarps: what will help with the breeze is to hang broad-on to it if possible, with thick brush at the foot and head ends. This will help to break things up if the wind shifts. You've had good advice about tarps with doors; they're popular for a reason. That being said, if you use a poncho as your rain gear, you can hang it at one end of the tarp from the ridgeline tie-out and stake it down at the bottom two corners as an improv Grizz beak. This will help with the swirling winds problem; face that end into the wind, and it's likely that the wind won't turn enough to soak you from your only open end. The only time I've had to do this (and the only time I've ever had any trouble with an hex tarp like what you've got in the photo) was when the wind was above ~30 MPH gusts. Otherwise, a properly hung hex tarp (one close to the hammock ridgeline) will keep windblown precipitation out, even if it doesn't keep the wind itself completely out.

If you want to keep stuff dry, don't put it on the ground. If you're hiking, and you intend on being out in foul weather, it will behoove you to cut your stuff down to just what you need to hike. Boots can be tied together, the dirt knocked off, and then hung from the hammock's ridgeline (this will keep them dry and critter-free). Anything else can either go in your pack (hung from the suspension and should be able to get wet anyway; you're using a pack liner to keep important stuff dry, right?), the hammock as insulation, in a smallish ridgeline organizer, or hung in your bear bag/placed in your bear can away from the hammock. If you do want more stuff on the trail, a small gear hammock works fairly well for lots of folks.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12