Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images

Sewn Footbox? Pad Pocket? TQ Questions

So I pulled the trigger on some material and CS Apex 5.0 from ripstop last night and I'm going to make my own TQ, which scares the bajeebies outta me, but does give me something to do. I'm using these plans as a loose guideline: http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/...ilt-lowres.jpg

I have a couple of construction questions:

1. I'm going to sew a foot box, I always liked that with my sleeping bag and don't really want to switch. Does anyone have any plans for how to do this? I've got an idea or two, but if someone who's done it before could chirp up I'd appreciate it. Especially how to bring the sides together and stitch those up...

2. I plan on using a 3/4 length UQ and know that means I'll need a sit pad in the end. Has anyone tried sewing a pocket on the outside of the footbox for the pad to go in? Just a simple, single layer of left over material tacked on and through the bottom of the footbox. I don't like the idea of putting the pad in the footbox, just trying to think somethings through.

Thanks!

I have been thinking of doing a top quilt as well and have been wondering about your question #2. Seems like it would make the pad easier to keep in place.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    xtrek's video gives details on your footbox.
    Make your footbox, match the foot end dimension's of your quilt to your footbox's dimensions. Sew the two together.

Edit. added right link.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 12-28-2014 at 17:23.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Fwiw when I've had my pad outside the footbox the entire pad and bottomnof footbox (outside, not the inside) were soaked. I've heard, and will try next week, that putting the pad in the footbox will fix this.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Fwiw when I've had my pad outside the footbox the entire pad and bottomnof footbox (outside, not the inside) were soaked. I've heard, and will try next week, that putting the pad in the footbox will fix this.
    Soaked?! That's some bad news. From what? Sweat, condensation...?

Ive been using reflectix under my sleeping bag all this time but have never had an issue like that

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If the pad is outside the footbox, condensation will collect due to the temperature difference (outside of pad exposed to cold air, the inside to warm air). With the pad inside the footbox, there should be no condensation since it's essentially insulated (by the TQ) from the outside air.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    If the pad is outside the footbox, condensation will collect due to the temperature difference (outside of pad exposed to cold air, the inside to warm air). With the pad inside the footbox, there should be no condensation since it's essentially insulated (by the TQ) from the outside air.
    Well that just makes sense. poop. Always thinking I'm on to something....

Still not sure how to sew the cap on the footbox, the video helps some (what to measure), but I'm not experienced enough to know how/ where to attach it. If anyone has some close up shots that I could look at?
    thanks!

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Jason,

Sewn footbox - two ways to do it. One creates a sewn through seam at the foot, one does not. I will try to explain the simpler of the two methods as its easier to grasp conceptually.

Once your done filling the body of the quilt with insulation, but before you do the final touches/hems, you will need to create a footbox plug/cap to sew in and form a footbox. If the measured width of the bottom of your quilt is 38", your plug/cap needs to have a 38" circumference. You first create the round footbox which is two pieces of circular nylon with your round insulation in between. Sew around the nylon footbox shells to trap your insulation inside. Turn your quilt inside out and pin the footbox plug to the bottom of your quilt. Sew them together and flip inside out. Done. It's kind of tough to visualize this process(tough to clearly explain too). Still struggling - Send me a PM and I will email you some pics.

PS- Before doing the above, you need to have already sewn the sides of your quilt together up to the desired length.

Ryan

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Anyone had any experience with using Velcro to close up the end of a homemade top quilt?

• + New Posts