Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I don't understand the 50 post rule!

50 posts before you can look and the "for sale" section? Seriously? I have been on Archerytalk.com for 14 years and barely have 50 posts! I'm a reader and with enough reading you can find the answer to your questions. Sure you can TTT or "I agree" 50 times until I get there. I like to buy used gear, it helps me, it helps someone else......I'm up to 3 now!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I feel your frustration, but those are the rules. They have been put in place and validated many times over.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by tdaward View Post
    50 posts before you can look and the "for sale" section? Seriously? I have been on Archerytalk.com for 14 years and barely have 50 posts! I'm a reader and with enough reading you can find the answer to your questions. Sure you can TTT or "I agree" 50 times until I get there. I like to buy used gear, it helps me, it helps someone else......I'm up to 3 now!
    If I am reading your comment correctly you are asking clarification on "Looking", you do not need 50 posts or better to look or to purchase.

I personally like the 50 post rule. I go back and look at what the seller has posted as comments in the past. How long they have been a member of HF and how often they post and what they post.

I did not have a positive experience the first time I purchased from this forum. My fault, I went back and reread the Sticky for purchasing. I started my little background check, now when I purchase everything goes smoothly. I have been pleased with the $/goods exchange.

If I find someone has done meaningless posts to boost their post count, I do not purchase from them. I have been known to make the same suggestion to new members, always be cautious of what and from whom you are purchasing. After a while we get a sense of what other members are like, if they are honest in their dealings with others on this site.

I like the rules and feel they are for everyones benefit.

Hammock
    SLD's 12' Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Hand-sewn 12ft-er
    Insulation
    Hand-sewn down
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    If nothing else you will be more informed of what people are like and what gear you really want by the time you get to 50...and if not then at least the sold/gifted gear stays 'in the family' rather than getting snatched up by people that log in once and never contribute to the forum community. maybe 30 post would be sufficient though

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    You CAN buy from the for sale section. You just can't sell until you have 50.

This may help also...
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/....php?p=1372313
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Oneal View Post
    If nothing else you will be more informed of what people are like and what gear you really want by the time you get to 50...and if not then at least the sold/gifted gear stays 'in the family' rather than getting snatched up by people that log in once and never contribute to the forum community. maybe 30 post would be sufficient though
    It is my understanding ANYONE CAN PURCHASE no prior posts needed. To PURCHASE, you only need an account so you are able to post "I will take it", then exchange $ for goods.

The 50 post minimum is to SELL not to purchase. Selling is where we need some protection for less than honorable folks. Problem buyers are obvious if you read through the posts, they are easy to avoid. Shifty sellers are frequently weeded out by the 50 post rule. One of the things I look for is to see how long someone has been a member. I do not purchase from someone new to the forum, I do look through how often someone sells gear, if they are selling a quantity of gear, if I think they might have too much gear such as 7 Hennessy Explorer hammocks, I get a bit suspicious and start asking questions.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    I have seen fraudulent activity on every forum I follow. Usually the criminals have a low post count and new membership. I like the 50 post minimum approach to this problem and feel that it creates a safe community for its members.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tdaward View Post
    As infrequently as I agree with some of the things around here, I'll step up and defend this one. To the best of my knowledge, you can view and purchase from the "For Sale" section of the forum but to post, we want to know who you are. You could be some flim-flam man from across the internet out to make an easy buck on a sucker. 50 posts means not only that you have to put in at least a cursory effort into being an active member of the community but also means that people have a way to gauge your trustworthiness.

Think of participation in the "For Sale" section not as a right granted to you just for signing up for the forum but rather as a reward for being a valued member of the community. For what it's worth, if you've got 50 "TTT" and "I agree" posts and 51 is "I want to sell my widgets," you're not likely to find much success.

Get to know the community, maybe make a friend, THEN start complaining.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    NeoAir Xlite
    Suspension
    Straps
    There are certain forums I belong to where I can see the 50 post rule useful. But on a very specific site like this I don't think it's necessary.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post

Get to know the community, maybe make a friend, THEN start complaining.
    Gresh's philosophy in life.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast