Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20 TQ/HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Godspeed from SWVA

Morning all,

I have been a lurker here for a few years. I have always loved the outdoors and many activities that go along with being outside. I "officially" started backpacking in 2006. My cousin and I hit up many of the popular spots around here within a two hour drive. Sections of the AT, Mount Rogers, Little Stony, Bark Camp lake, Chief Benge's Scout trail, etc. In 2011, my cousin moved back to his hometown in OH, and I was without a backpacking buddy.

My HH Explorer has been getting dusty. I got married on May 19, 2012 and my wife and I purchased a fixer upper house. Well, we've been spending most of our free time "fixin-uppin" so we have not got to spend much time outdoors. When we do, it's usually a small bike trip or walk in the park. Well, we are finally at a point where we can do some weekenders. Now, I just have to get my wife set up with gear....hence my return to the forums. My how things have changed. Whoopie this, Dutch bling that, cuben fiber, etc....I've got some catching up to do myself!!!!

I thought I created a log-in before, but nothing was able to be recovered. So, I created the log-in you see here and I'm officially back.

Godspeed,
    Chase

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Welcome back! Hammocking has grown unbelieveably in the past few years. But the gear and people just seem to get better as time goes by! Don't hesitate to ask anything at all, and post your progress (remember, pics or it didn't happen!).
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20 TQ/HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Duffy,

Thank you! Yes, things seem to have moved at light speed.

I'll try to get some pics up soon. I purchased my HH at Trail Days back in 06 or 07 (I live about 20 minutes away), directly from Tom himself and the funny thing is I didn't even know who he was until the next day! It was a great deal at the time, I got 20% off and he upgraded my tarp to the full size hex, and threw in snake skins and the H2O collectors.

Now, I'm looking to shed some weight like everybody else. After getting "caught up" I believe I'm going to go this route:

Dutch Anchors with 7/64ths Amsteel leads
    Continous loops
    Stock HH tree huggers

I just bought some new down bags for my wife and I on an Amazon lightning deal. The Kelty Cosmic 20 Down was $99. I thought that was a great way to get into down.

Now, I'm trying to see if I can re-purpose our old 40* synthetic bags as UQ's. Also, I just bought a used HH on the forum here for my wife. I believe I'll send both of our hammocks to 2QZQ for the zipper treatment.

I already have cut down gutter spikes for stakes, but I think I'll pick up a few mini ground hogs to supplement for less than ideal soil. I always just marlin spike my stakes...

I've been eye-balling a cuben fiber tarp, but that will have to wait. I need to see if my wife is really going to take to this. If we spend a few nights a month in the hammocks then I'll justify spending some more. The gear we have now will definitely get us through.

Anybody know of a place that will take a synthetic bag and turn it into a UQ for a reasonable price?

Godspeed,
    Chase

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome back Chase.