WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    UGQ 20º Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti Buckles
    Images

Hammeck Netty vs Dream Hammock Darien

Hey guys,

I have been using my ENO single nest for the last few years and enjoy it. It has definitely been worth the $55 I payed for it to get into hammock camping. I am little over 6'1" and weigh around 280.

I am trying to narrow down which hammock is best for me and could use some recommendations if anyone has both, or just one. What "sold" you on the particular model/vendor?

I do not have an underquilt yet and use pads, so a double layer is a plus for me at this time. Has anyone used either with a pad(s)? Where do you slide the pads in from?

Thanks for any and all feedback!

-Flynguy

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    If I was going to drop money on a off-the-shelf hammock, I'd go for a Warbonnet Blackbird (probably the XLC if weight isn't an issue).

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Keep your ENO and use your money on an UQ. I started with a Trek Light double (similar to ENO), and tried WBBB, WB Traveler, and BIAS with Knotty mod hammocks before discovering that my TLD was really the hammock for me. The others were nice hammocks, don't get me wrong, but the TLD just "fit" me better in terms of comfort. I found that I didn't really need an integrated net hammock, and didn't like the closed in feeling. Then I tried open hammocks that had different dimensions & designs, but was more comfy in my wide, flappy edge Old Reliable.

My 2 cents.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    UGQ 20º Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti Buckles
    Images
    Thanks guys!

@cataraftgirl That is also an option that I have been considering. I just ordered a bunch of Dutchware to lighten the suspension and get away from the stretchy ENO slapstraps. I have been debating on doing the underquilt first or try a new hammock. I have a bunch of pads for insulation already which is why I was thinking a more feature rich hammock may be the way to go.

I'm in east Texas and the bugs start early and are just now leaving, plus they really like the taste of me, so a bug net is a definite requirement for me. I've done bivy camping with the each right on my face before, so I'm not too worried about that.

If I do decide to do the underquilt first, who do you recommend? I'm leaning towards UnderGroundQuilts 7/8 Zeppelin. But that leads to another question, being in east Texas, what temp rating should I get? Is it possible to be over insulated by the underquilt?

Hammock
    DH RAVEN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    STRAPS/ ANCHOR
    My vote is for getting a UQ now instead of a hammock since you say that you like your ENO. You cold also add a Fronkey style bug net that you make yourself, or I think Dutch sells them now. I would suggest going slightly warmer temp rating than you think you need for an UQ because you can always vent.

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    UGQ 20º Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti Buckles
    Images
    Just so I understand correctly you are saying if I think I need a 30° go with a 20°?

Is it possible to have too much under quilt? During the winter the temp is usually 30°-40°. During the summer 90°. Would a 20° iq be too much in summer time or should I have sufficient ability to vent? I guess in summer I could always do without as well.

Thanks,

-Flynguy

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    like many that went from pads to UQ its one of those OK I get it now kinda moments at least it was for me

I am not a backpack guy I do more 4x4 camping getting off the beaten path so I went with a longer UQ so I never have to worry about using a pad under my legs and covers me head to toe

so length might matter how you camp (car or hike) and if you would need/want to supplement the feet area with a small sit pad as many do

I read a ton of threads on UQ temp ratings and really ends up being how cold do you sleep and what is the lowest temp you camp in ? as most say you can always change the top or vent and seems some do use 0 or 20 degree UQ even in the summer

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11'
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Insulation
    UGQ 20º Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Ti Buckles
    Images
    Thanks Ckmaui!

As far as being happy with the eno I am, but the more I read in the forums the more I hear about superior comfort of different hammocks and the more contentious I become about weight and weight limits of the fabric. Looking at table on dreamhammocks.com and hammeck.com I see that there is serious comfort loss with my weight and a single layer. How eno has a 400lb weight limit on a single layer is beyond me at this point, but I feel like maybe I am missing out. So while I am not dissatisfied I can't help but want to upgrade the hammock first and fill in the blanks later. To me the hammock is the main component of the sleep system and the uq and tq are options.

The lowest have camped in is 22°. Mainly because of lack of sufficient gear and the fact that locally that's about as low as it gets. I put out a lot of heat and like to have a fan on even in the winter.

That was exactly the type of information I need as far as uq's go. I guess I'm cautious about buying a "one trick pony" if you will. I want a uq that will last me through the temp ranges.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by flynguy521 View Post
    Thanks Ckmaui!

As far as being happy with the eno I am, but the more I read in the forums the more I hear about superior comfort of different hammocks and the more contentious I become about weight and weight limits of the fabric. Looking at table on dreamhammocks.com and hammeck.com I see that there is serious comfort loss with my weight and a single layer. How eno has a 400lb weight limit on a single layer is beyond me at this point, but I feel like maybe I am missing out. So while I am not dissatisfied I can't help but want to upgrade the hammock first and fill in the blanks later. To me the hammock is the main component of the sleep system and the uq and tq are options.

The lowest have camped in is 22°. Mainly because of lack of sufficient gear and the fact that locally that's about as low as it gets. I put out a lot of heat and like to have a fan on even in the winter.

That was exactly the type of information I need as far as uq's go. I guess I'm cautious about buying a "one trick pony" if you will. I want a uq that will last me through the temp ranges.
    You may want to go for a 30* UQ and then get a UQP from 2QZQ that will protect you UQ and will add a bit of warmth. Also the UQP can be used in warm temp and no UQ is needed. Wait on a new hammock and the UQ will fit the new hammock when you get it. Also, check out s group hang and you will see all sorts of hammocks and gear, and this will help you decide on the new hammock you prefer. Just my $.02, good luck to you.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    trust me I understand the what else to try thing on hammocks
    we have had ENO for a long time to lounge now that we are sleeping I tried the HH and now in a simply light design trail lair and find it way more comfy than both and plan on buying a WB and maybe one other just so I know with resale being so good not to worried about getting some back and dont mind having a spare around anyway
    so yeah to me the HH was more comfy than my ENO and the SLD TL is more comfy will the next one be more comfy ?
    also have a dutch argon which is really nice

I wanted to go the local hang but was conflicting with work
    but even then again I feel buy and try and resell figure you loose $20 or so ? but from trying out a few I think one has to try it themselves

I was also in fear of the one trick pony but again from what I decided and read the UQ is much easier to be a one trick pony then have two tops and seems quite a few go a step or two cooler with the under quilt than the top quilt setup some just use a sheet even read a post dude just wore some base layer and was nice with a UQ that was like a 0 or 20 ?
    and figure also being cold sucks more than being to warm since I can always vent or pull away or just do what I did in the tropics just sleep on a blanket and was warm if it gets above 70 ? knowing I will most likely end up with two UQ at some point I opted for the coldest I would go plus some buffer

not trying to talk ya into it just seems one has to start somewhere and I know I hate being cold and hate wearing a lot when sleeping and wanted to be warm at night
    figure what ever you get should work and get you going and again resale on the cottage vendors here is so good you wont loose much no matter what you do

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast