Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

Multiple Addictions

In an effort to keep this from happening to you, please limit your addictions to one and never start the second one.

We are all aware of the gear buying and making addiction and many of us suffer from it. I have another, sewing machines. I have a perfectly good Sailrite sewing machine, a year old. Does everything I need it to, Sails, Canvas, Upholstery. My wife has 2 sewing machines in addition to mine. In the last week, I purchased an industrial Singer 211G, which is a newer model (still 40 years old) of the 111W that upholsterers have used for 60 years. It's needle feed(compound feed). I also purchased a Industrial Style (but Commercial Duty) Singer 20U, which is a Zig Zag machine and the machine my Sailrite was based on. Basically, an older (probably better for hammocks and gear) version of the machine I already have. But Wait!!!

I have learned to repair and time/tune sewing machines. So now I am trying to purchase a Singer 301 AND a Singer Featherweight because the price is right and I THINK I can make buck on it. Where does this end??!!! I can't make gear for working on sewing machines. My wife has literally drawn an imaginary line in HER sewing room and said "Put all you want on your side, but don't cross this line."

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    My wife has literally drawn an imaginary line in HER sewing room and said "Put all you want on your side, but don't cross this line."
    At least yours is imaginary... I was banished to another room altogether.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I figured you, more than most, would appreciate this Ebay and Craigslist are the devil. Oh. and I bought another sail boat in the same week, bringing the total to 4.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nacra533, Thanks for the chuckle Tell us how those new machines work out for you. My wife says the same thing to me.
    I've got 3 closets full of my stuff, 1 full bedroom for sewing and storage, ohh, and the garage, which hasn't had a car parked in it for seven years. Tools, toys, hunting stuff, more changes of clothing than I care to mention, (workwear, camo, warm stuff, breathable stuff, hvywt. canvas stuff, fishing stuff,etc. etc., and so on) Now hammocks<---thats her looking at me.

PS. DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE CLEAN YOUR GARAGE!!! My wife wanted to help out a few months ago, I'm still looking for things. Organized to one person is not organized to another. Alphabetizing all my tools under "thingies" or "do-hickeys" or "whatchamacallitz", did not work well. Now I'll be looking for something and ask her where she put it, ...."I don'no, what thingie? I don't remember....
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Nacra, I went looking for someone to sew some heavy webbing on to a waxed canvas hunting vest a couple of years ago. My search took me to a dilapidated shack on a local ranch where an old man makes saddles, tack, holsters, etc.

While he was working on my vest, I nosed around a bit, and spied an ancient machine I'd never seen before. Of course, I asked, and he told me the machine (I think it was a Singer) was originally built to stitch together sheet metal for the roofs on early automobiles.

Never heard of such a thing, but I have no reason to doubt the old man, either.

Sounds like just what you need.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts