3/4 underquilt with addition to make full quilt

I am considering various ideas for my first UQ and one thing I am debating about is doing a 3/4 vs full quilt. A thought I had (and am wondering if anyone else has thought of or done this) is to make a 3/4 quilt that could have an attachment (an additional "mini" UQ). This way I could choose which one I wanted or liked. One thing that I realize could be a challenge is that where the two connect would be a "weak" spot (meaning that there cold be more potential for air to access that area). However, it could also address question I raised in another thread. Let me know what you think.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I did put two of my UQs together a couple of times. This is my Warbonnet Yeti and my DIY Frankenquilt.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Norg View Post
    I am considering various ideas for my first UQ and one thing I am debating about is doing a 3/4 vs full quilt. A thought I had (and am wondering if anyone else has thought of or done this) is to make a 3/4 quilt that could have an attachment (an additional "mini" UQ). This way I could choose which one I wanted or liked. One thing that I realize could be a challenge is that where the two connect would be a "weak" spot (meaning that there cold be more potential for air to access that area). However, it could also address question I raised in another thread. Let me know what you think.
    I really like your idea Norg. What if you made some kind of insulated draft collar that would lay on top of your attachment point. Like sleeping bags do around their zippers.

JRB made 1... search on HF for convertible UQ

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Zpack
    Insulation
    EE TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks
    I just tried the same as Shug's picture on Thursday night. I used my EE 55" UQ and paired it with my DIY 40* UQ for legs and feet. It was just an experiment; however, a draft collar and some Velcro would have stopped the drafts. It was only 28* but very windy.
    --- Bill ---

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    I've often thought something like this would be a nice to complement a 48" or 66" UQ too. One of those projects that I haven't been brave enough to tackle. If you do please share your mistakes and results!

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    Just had this idea and sure enough someone on the forum beat me to it I'll be looking into doing something similar depending on how my 20* 3/4 +pad works in the high teens this week. Let us know how it goes if you try something!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Been There.... Done that... t shirt etc....

About 9 years ago about a month before the Warbonnet 3/4 came out JRB introduced the JRB Convertible UQ which had what later became the early model JRB Torso UQ (seven sections) and "the compliment (4 sections)...There were multiple connections and a sealing flap... Worked well... Minimal interest so it was dropped from the line.

Search the archives for posts and seek out old timers who posted about them to find one on the secondary market.

Good luck.

Pan

PS many who want to take this approach in later years simply overlapped a couple 2/3 or 3/4 UQs... Far easier, works well.
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts