Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad

Colorado here I come…

My long awaited trip to Colorado is almost here. Once I finish this night shift, I’ll get some sleep, and then start the drive from PA to CO.

It’s an archery hunt, not a hike. We’ll be packing up hill about a mile from the truck and setting up our base camp. We’ll be striking out from there. If the elk are hard to find, we may make spike camps overnight away from base camp. I’ll be using my Clark NA, and the other guy is using a tent. I offered him my Claytor, but he declined. I’m wondering if he’ll be changing his mind after our trip.

I made a home made SPE from a light blanket to hold a pad inside. I’ve used a pad before, and have slept down to 23˚ with no problem. From what I understand, I can easily be facing freezing temps overnight, and highs can still reach the upper 70’s. I plan to use a Klean Kanteen as a hot water bottle.

This will be the longest camp trip I’ve ever done. I’ve never been out in a very high wind situation that an easy bail out wasn’t near by. This will be very different. This trip has been five years in the making, and it’s almost here.

I’m not looking forward to the long drive, but I can’t wait to see the west, which I’ve only flown over up to this point. Trip report to follow, assuming a bear doesn’t eat me…
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    I was planning an elk hunt in co this year, but life happens. I don't know what kind of altitude your used to, but pace yourself, and have fun. send pics of your elk if you get one.

p.s. don't worry about the bears. your not what they want to eat.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip. What part of CO are you hunting in?

I second plowhorse...know the signs of altitude sickness and take time to acclimate. We used to have families get altitude sickness at 7000' when I lived out there.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird Double 1.7
    Tarp
    big JRB tarp
    Insulation
    JRB NoSniv/Mt Wash
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    My last two overnights here in Colorado were spent around 11,000 feet elevation and morning temps were in the 40s. Not bad at all. Take some real good rain gear, though, as the afternoon thunderstorms are still showing up.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I’m not really worried about bears.

We’ll be south of the Gunnison area. I’ve been training as best I can in PA. I’ve been running and lifting, and have dropped 22 lbs. On advice from hunting forums, I consulted my doctor and got a script for Diamox, which reportedly helps you to acclimate quicker. We’ll be well above 7,000. We’ll be parking at 10,000, base camp at 11,000, and chasing elk between 10,500 & 12,000. I’m most worried about lightning, not altitude sickness or bears.

If the overnight lows are only in the 40’s, I’ll be kind of disappointed. Only in that I’ve been gearing up to deal with sub-freezing temps in the morning, and warm afternoons. As hot as it’s been here lately, 40 will seem cold enough.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You'll probably be fine, but that's definitely altitude sickness zone when you're coming from PA. We had a girl die from HAPE at ~9000' when I was a cadet...even though she had lived a year at 7250', and she was a cadet so she was relatively in shape. Just be aware of the symptoms b/c activity quickens the onset.

But I agree that weather is more likely to affect your plans than altitude sickness. I remember sleeping under a poncho in the Rockies in July and getting a 1/2" of hail covering the entire ground. Never had an issue with lightening, luckily.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    My first year out of high school I moved to Colorado, awesome beauty. I was in top shape from track, wrestling and footbal conditioning. I could run for miles at Michigan's altitude.
    I got winded so fast in Colorado, I could barely climb a flight of stairs. I realized then (as I was huffing and puffing) that was why the Olympic Team trains at high altitude. And don't try drinking your usual six or eight beers, you'll be trashed.
    High Altitude Sickness is real and very painful. An intense headache, lack of breath and soreness are the first symptoms. Take your time and let your body adjust. It may take a few days. Hopefully you are in good shape or have been working out some? You'll need it.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Sounds like your ready,,, hope to see some pic's

• + New Posts