Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Uwharrie - Moffit Trail Head

It's been a year but not much publicized. They've put in the new Moffit Trail Head on Thaylor Road North of the Jumping Off Rock Trail Head.

Coming from Ophir take a left on Thaylor road, at the Y go right staying on Thalor. It turns to dirt/gravel and shortly the trail head will be on the right. Kinda' rough looking. The monument is between the two gates. The Uwharrie Trail is about 20 or 30 yards further east on Thaylor Road. Both sides are marked. The south side runs 4 miles, up and over Little Long Mountain and down to the Jumping Off Rock Trail Head.

The North? Ain't been on it yet. Next trip. Should run 6 miles up to High Pine Church Road, follow it out to Lassiter Mill Road and then up to the southern entrance to the Birkheads and then up to Tot Hill.

The Bald Knob, where I spent New Years Eve, on Little Long Mountain ain't so Bald any more. Better hurry for the view before it's overgrown with scrub.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Happy New Year Pete! Were there any water sources before you got up to Little Long Mountain?
    Pappy

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ
    Going north from Jumping Off Rock Trail Head after you crest the first ridge line you drop down to Poison Creek and walk beside it for about 3/4 mile - going pretty much north. You then turn like 120 deg left (about SSW) and start up an old trail on the south end of Little Long Mountain. When you start to see young pine trees on your right keep a close eye out because the trail will cut to the right up into them then just follow the trail to the top. Once at the top it's about 1.5 miles down to Thaylor Road. Real easy hike with plenty of places to camp.

For new hikers sometimes the start of the Northern Trail from Jumping Off Rock Trail Head is a little hard to find. You depart the parking lot and walk west over the bridge. By the time you get to the end of the bridge you should see the double blaze facing you a bit up and on the right.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx (WFL),HMw/cs
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    AKA Pete are you saying they have got the trail opened back up between Jumping off Rock and the Birkheads section? Friend and I went through there several years back and it is some really nice woods. With no real trail to follow it made for quite the trip. We started at Birkhead and went all the way to Hwy 24/27.

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ
    As in my first post - I've only seen the blaze going north from Thaylor Road and it appears you have to hit Lassiter Mill Road for a few miles to make the link up to the southern Birkhead Access Trail Head. My next trip I'll do a section going north from the Joe Moffitt Trail Head. Since I'm by myself I do like 8 miles in and 8 miles back.

This link has the story and at the bottom is the full map for the trail. Squint and you can see the "L" shaped legs for the High Pine Church Rd and Lassiter Mill Rd. The top red portion of the trail is departing Tot Hill and going clockwise down to Hanna's Creek Trail and then west to the southern trail head and Robbins Branch Road - then out to Lassiter Mill Rd and south.

Story

Story for the Dedication for the Joe Moffitt Trail Head.

Story

As I understand it - the long range plan is to cut out the road sections and go through the woods up to Birkhead.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Pete View Post
    Going north from Jumping Off Rock Trail Head after you crest the first ridge line you drop down to Poison Creek and walk beside it for about 3/4 mile - going pretty much north. You then turn like 120 deg left (about SSW) and start up an old trail on the south end of Little Long Mountain. When you start to see young pine trees on your right keep a close eye out because the trail will cut to the right up into them then just follow the trail to the top. Once at the top it's about 1.5 miles down to Thaylor Road. Real easy hike with plenty of places to camp.

For new hikers sometimes the start of the Northern Trail from Jumping Off Rock Trail Head is a little hard to find. You depart the parking lot and walk west over the bridge. By the time you get to the end of the bridge you should see the double blaze facing you a bit up and on the right.
    Pete, are there any water sources between Little Long Mountain and Thaylor Rd?

I had all this stuff documented with maps from a friend but my hard drive died a week ago so . . .

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ
    "...Pete, are there any water sources between Little Long Mountain and Thaylor Rd?..."

No - but it's only 1.5 miles from the top of Little Long Mtn to Thaylor road - all down hill. And Poison Creek (Fork) flows good year round.

North of Thaylor Road I'll find out about in Feb.

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ
    Must be part blind. I was staring at the map and did a "What the heck?" I was concentrating on the red marked trail that went out to Lassiter Mill Road. If you click on my first link and pull down to the map and the Camp Wednesday marker - go north and where it hooks left to the Camp Tuesday Marker that's the intersection with Strieby Church Rd SR 1109 (faint gray road). That runs straight north and hits the south end (brown) of the Birkhead Trail. No trail head parking noted.

So from Jumping Off Rock it's pretty much a straight shot north.

Something to shoot for in February.

For Pappy - the Birkhead Trail south from Tot Hill is mighty dry, follows the ridge line south. Go west on Hanna's Creek Trail and you can find water in the Creek. Hadn't rained in a while when I was there but there were some good size pools I could get water from. Strained it through my hanky and used Iodine and PA-Plus - no problems.
    Last edited by AKA Pete; 01-06-2015 at 21:46.

Hammock
    WBRR, Numerous DIY
    Tarp
    Winter Palace WBCB
    Insulation
    WB Lynx HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/SMC Ring
    AKA Pete, Strieby Church rd ends at the church and from there on it is a private drive. The original trail went this way by handshake permission but was stopped years ago. They WILL NOT let any trespassing thru their property and also will not sell as a purchase has been tried. The trail from Joe Moffit TH north to the Luther Farm TH is totally restored. Shortly after starting you cross a nice stream which has always had water and then on the other side of King Mtn there is Camp 7 spur trail (.2) which has a pretty dependable spring. The length from Joe Moffit to Luther is 3 miles. Just before the Luther TH we have laid out a new section of trail which will end at (on the map you linked to) Mcarthur Property. This has been presented to the Forest Service but we cannot start implementation until they do their impact studies which could take another year because of funding. The Macarthur property was purchase by the Land Trust and we are actually starting work on that section Jan 10 and when completed it will be donated to the FS. There is also a beautiful loop trail in the same area we have laid out of @7 miles (hiked it yesterday) but here again it can't be improved yet but technically you can hike anywhere on FS land, you just have to know where you're going. For all practical purposes it appears that the only way in the future to reconnect the Uwharrie Trail to Birkhead Wilderness is going to have a short use of the Lassiter Mill rd. The Land Trust is constantly trying to purchase lands to prevent this but it seems to be doubtful.
    Pappy, I had computer failure a few weeks ago myself and didn't get your email until it was way too late. If you need more maps let me know.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Firebird - Seems both our computers caught the flu. Hope you have been well. I am interested in that loop trail you mentioned. I will move this over to email to discuss.

Thanks,
    Pappy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast