Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Still looking

How to make a informed hammock purchase...

when you have not seen these things in person?
    Another new member question.
    I have a HHULB. It took about 5 minutes to decide this is not the hammock for me - I do not like the bottom entry or the confinement. I know I can have the hammock modified via this forum to remedy the bottom entry, but I still have a small (to me) hammock. I don't know of anybody local that uses hammocks, and have not found a gear shop in the Inland NW area (WA-ID-MT) that carries anything worth purchasing. I can understand manufactureres/stores not wanting a bunch of people abusing a set up, but most every tent I have bought was tried for size before purchase. Having read the forums for close to a year has told me it is kind of like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge: lots of personal preferences, but perhaps no clear cut winner. Here is where I am at:

Pushing 50 yrs old pretty hard, 5'11 /170 lbs.
    No back issues, I sleep better in the woods on the dirt than I do at home.
    Will be used in WA,OR,ID,MT 3 seasons, 20-90 temps possible.
    Comfort is more important than a light weight package at this time. The hammock will be used for car camping (20%), ATV trips (60%), short hikes (20%). Must have bug netting. My tents will be used for any serious hikes until I become more familiar with the "Bear Burrito" that my riding buddy calls them. (I throw bacon on his tent once the snoring starts, so I don't worry about the wolves and bears at all).

Have a WM Apache MF, several synthetic bags of various temp. ratings, Thermarest Prolites, closed cell pads that I would like to try before buying quilts, etc. I understand that the bottom insulation will be the limiting factor with my pads.

I am intrigued by the Clark NX-250. If it had a pad sleeve instead of 6 pockets underneath, it would probably be in my gear room already. Would love to see the NX-250, BMBH and WBBB set up all in a row to check them out.
    A Kelty Noah 9 tarp arrived this week, the GG 12x12 arrives tomorrow.
    What I want is a covered area that I (we) can use during the day, then hang the hammock independently in the evening. 2 tarps is probably the way to go.

Cost is a concern, but I would just as soon buy the right hammock the first time and be done with it. It seems that most supplied tarps seem to be on the small size, that is why I have 2 larger tarps already.

So, is there a perfect hammock out there for me that I won't regret buying?

Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks for the forum.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    affordable, dual bottom, bug netted, large size, sans tarp (you have 2 already?) and popular: http://mosquitohammock.com/expeditionhammock.html

i wouldnt call it "perfect" that just doesnt exist - that is why some of us have 3-4 hammocks. (then there's cannibal)

Hammock
    Still looking
    Thanks for the reply, I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this will be another multi gear hobby. I will look at your link.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    The Claytor hammock that is linked above seems to be reasonably comfortable with a pad...spent a couple of nights in it with a Ridgerest with no issues. The same pad in my Speer was just awful. I only lasted about 10 minutes. I would not have believed there could be so dramatic a difference. Point being, if you want to stick with your pad, the Claytor will serve you well.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Try to make a group hang to see all the wonderful hammock cultist showing off their stuff. Hot Springs, MAHHA, and I believe those Cali boys are getting together soon.

If claustrophobia is an issue, (do you sleep inside a tent?), I don't find the hammock anymore confining than a small tent, and I don't have to get on my knees to get in. The hammock does take a little getting used to, try hanging for a few days in it, to see if you can find your "sweet" spot. It is not for everybody.

Sounds like most of your other gear is up to the challenge and varying conditions, so that's good.

I would suggest a top loader hammock, (speer, eno, treklight, etc.), if the test hang/claustrophobia thing works out. The openness of a top loader is less confining, IMO. A simple diy project also, if you want to go that route. 10 feet of fabric and 20 feet of rope, a couple of easy knots and you are hangin'. A simple mosquito net can then be used over the top of your hammock when needed.
    Brand new hammocks need to be broke in a little, just like shoes. Give your HH awhile to play with the whole concept/feeling, if it doesn't work out, it will sell here fast.

Maybe some local Hammock Forum people can chime in and show off their stuff to you?

Welcome and enjoy your shopping adventure , I mean hanging adventure.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Images
    I find the Claytor No Net to be one of the more comfortable hammocks out there, and I think it is $40 or $45 total including shipping. It is a bit narrow, but that has been no problem IMO ( I'm 6'1", 210 lbs)

Then you could order the $65 net by War Bonnet http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/travel_h.htm , reviewed here by Angrysparrow:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=10087

Then you could use that net with any other net free hammock in the future. You could even use it with your HH after you cut the net off and convert into a top loader, if you didn't want to just sell the HH.

But who knows if the Claytor is right for you? It would help if you could get to a hang out and try a whole bunch of different hammocks. You may need something entirely different like a JRB bridge hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    If the Hennessey was too small and at 5' 11" you probably should look into the larger hammocks like the Claytor Jungle hammock instead of the Claytor Expedition mentioned above (same website, different page). The Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB) with a double bottom is worth looking into as well. The ability to tie out the sides, like the WBBB, will help make the hammock seem larger. Also, a double bottom hammock, while heavier, is almost always more comfortable than a single bottom hammock.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey EastWa, I am probably the closest member to you, I am just east of Boise. Not supper close but not as far as most of the group hangs that are coming up in the near future. I have a 1.1 Dble Black Bird and am about the same weight as you are. Sorry but right now that is the only hammock I have, I returned my HHULBA to get the BB but if you are up for a drive you are more than welcome to come on down and we might be able to get out for an overnighter. I could try to impart all the info that I learned from my month with the HH and you can give the BB a test nap. A freind and I might ...might get to the Sawtooths for an overnighter after labor day(your more than welcome to join) but other wise I am going to be pretty teatherd to my house the next few months--Wife only has 8-10 weeks befor she pops and we have a new baby girl in the house.

PM me if you are interested, sorry I don't know of any of the other moddles localy but I think there is a membe in N ID that may have a ?clark?

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Hey Paul, when your baby comes and you name her Brandon, does that make you a true hammock addict?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    OK gargoyle, You just about got me strangled. LOL she dose not find that as funnie as we all might.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast