Phoenix, Arizona first time camping with Hamock

Hi I am new in Hamock Forum. i am from Phoenix, AZ
    Last year I go camping with my friends I love it, I have to pay about 380$ for camping gear.
    this year I will do it again, but this time I will try to camping with Hammock.
    I try to do some research for good hammock, but I don't Know which one right for me, finally I think the best way to do that is register to this forum I will get a lot of help from some one else.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    also in PHX some great places just up north in the trees

hammock gear wise I know they have hangs where one can check out others I missed it recently but also figure one has to try things out a bit (as in sleep a few nights) to find what works for them and quality gear like certain hammock companies or quilt companies here on the forums hold value so well not a big deal if you find something better and move on to find the gear you love seems most sell for close to new price

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Welcome from West Texas. There is an active bunch of hangers in Az. I would agree with ckmaui that your best bet is to attend a group hang. I'm sure there will be one in the spring.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

So I know this is a year old but what are the "good places up north" to hang outside of phoenix. I'll be heading there in January 2016 and am currently hanging by a thread for trees in the area.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    I might say search or post this in its own thread maybe in the south west area https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/.../115-Southwest

I dont hike camp we do 4x4 camp so others might know hike in spots ?

as long as you are ready for cold if you want to be in the trees ? if you choose parks where you have water etc many are closed in winter time

most good trees are above the 5000 foot line and above in AZ IMHO where I prefer it
    3500 and up to that 5000+ are juniper/pinyon etc... so smaller and tougher to tie off to think really bushy some of the deciduous trees are around but smaller in diameter this is the Sedona elevation area

Flagstaff (around 7000 feet) for Flag the avg temp in Jan is about 18 at night about 42 in the day ? of course that varies but you get the idea its cold
    Prescott (about 5500 feet) are about mid 20s at night low 50s in the day
    Sedona (about 4500 feet) are about 32 at night high 50s in the day
    Mogollon Rim (about 4000-5000 feet) more around the Prescott temps but awesome areas near the top with amazing views some ideas again like others many are closed in the winter http://paysonrimcountry.com/Mountain-

the one tough thing here it can really take some dips in the temps and go an extra 20 or more cooler
    lower in PHX you can get some trees and a few others to tie off around rivers or wet areas with but they are not as common to find we dont really ever camp around phoenix ?

around Sedona we tend to stick to the side roads off Schnebly hill road but you really need a 4x4 and in the winter be ready for the snow that can be there to get out its about 5 degrees or so cooler than Sedona
    but amazing trees to hang in near the top of Schnebly there is a popular area you might get in to without 4x4 ? but again if it gets wet or snows ?
    google up Schnebly hill camping or something
    for some areas around Sedona you need a red rock pass easy to get at the ranger station

in prescott http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/presc...80779&actid=34
    flagstaff same thing BLM but we dont hit that in the winter

not sure that helps much ? but again be ready for the cold if you want to be up north

maybe some hikers can help if you want to hike into places ?

• + New Posts