Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    dunno yet
    Insulation
    Nada :(

Talking Etowah Outfitters Tarp

Has anyone had experience using the Etowah Outfitters Tarp? I saw an 8x10 of this tarp --it appeared to be a gray silnylon material. Was quite lightweight...and very expensive.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried it and if they find it to be worth the money?

Also, in that size, it is one that you could use for hammock camping as well as a tarp tent shelter, if need be, correct?

Is 8x10 big enough to afford good weather protection? I'm having difficulty visualizing this.

Thanks!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I have no experience with the Etowah Outfitters tarp.

I use an 8x10 tarp (Campmor nylon, PU coated) with hammocks with little to no issues weather wise. My son loves this tarp for his ENO doublenest and I have used it for a HH Ex Assym. I believe I may have even hung two hammocks under it in a sleet storm but I can't remember for sure. The 10' length as ridgeline is big enough for almost any hammock. During the sleet storm, the wind changed direction and we added a raincoat to the end with the wind coming in to cut down on drifting sleet.

I have also strung it on the diagonal (ridgeline is then about 12.5') and it did nicely although coverage was a little weak at the ends... but then again, the ends are more than 12' apart.

This tarp has been around - we used it for that most hideous activity (sleeping on the ground) before we started hanging. It was plenty big enough for two pre-teens, a 65 pound dog, me and our gear during a night and day of heavy rain. I have also pitched it as a small one man shelter all the way to the ground in 30 mph winds and anchored it with rocks along the edge.

This size is a good, versatile size for many activities. If the weight & price is right, you probably won't go wrong. You may want a large tarp for extreme cold weather, though.

JayS

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I'll agree with the above comments. Good size for a hammock, not the best of both worlds as far size, weight and function. In really bad weather you would appreciate the extra square footage/space under a 10 x 12. How expensive was the Etowah? Does that price compare to OES, or Warbonnet? Any tarp can be rigged to the ground and act as a tent, so don't let that option sway your opinion. A couple of strategically placed webbing loops gives your tarp all sorts of options.

PS. nice avatar, I love that video.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Should be able to get one of these for around $80-85. What price did you see? You can get their PU coated tarps for almost half this price, but they are a good bit heavier. One noteworthy thing about the Etowah tarp is it has tieouts instead of grommets. 10' is borderline short for my personal taste, but I can't see any reason it won't work. You could also hang the tarp corner to corner like a Hennessy stock tarp using only two stakes.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    1.1 DL Traveler
    Tarp
    Etowah 8x10
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use the nylon version pu coated and I love it. I am young and don't mind the weight problems but I have had virtually no weather problems except in 50 mph winds and terrential downpours <--- bad combination with this size tarp, but for most of my uses it is great!
    Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post
    Has anyone had experience using the Etowah Outfitters Tarp? I saw an 8x10 of this tarp --it appeared to be a gray silnylon material. Was quite lightweight...and very expensive.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried it and if they find it to be worth the money?

Also, in that size, it is one that you could use for hammock camping as well as a tarp tent shelter, if need be, correct?

Is 8x10 big enough to afford good weather protection? I'm having difficulty visualizing this.

Thanks!
    I have the 8 x 10 EO tarp (silnylon). Used it as a tarp tent and as a tarp for about 150 miles on the AT in April/May 2007. Worked well. Much lighter than my one-man tent. Have used it with my HULBA but found it to be too small for my wants. I think it cost me about $95 while on the trail - (no competition for pricing).

I have since switched to an OES SpinnUL 10 x 11. Much better tarp IMO and lower weight for bigger coverage. No more sagging edges or ridge line when wet.
    Last edited by Rockdawg69; 08-31-2009 at 19:46. Reason: left out opinion
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Images
    I'm using the 10' x 10' Etowah Standard Backpacking Tarp. I think Etowah lists the weight at 18 oz. I like the extra coverage over the 8' x 10'. If you are thinking of an Etowah contact these guys. I have no affiliation with them other than they are hammock campers and have treated me very well!

http://www.bigrockoutfitters.com/ind...oducts_id=8747

Redbank

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redbank View Post
    I'm using the 10' x 10' Etowah Standard Backpacking Tarp. I think Etowah lists the weight at 18 oz. I like the extra coverage over the 8' x 10'. If you are thinking of an Etowah contact these guys. I have no affiliation with them other than they are hammock campers and have treated me very well!

http://www.bigrockoutfitters.com/ind...oducts_id=8747

Redbank
    That's 18oz for the 6x10. The 10x10 is listed at 29oz. For what that tarp is made from, if it were 18oz it would have to be filled with helium. Hmm... maybe I'm on to something. And it could double as stove fuel...

What could possibly go wrong?
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    That's 18oz for the 6x10. The 10x10 is listed at 29oz. For what that tarp is made from, if it were 18oz it would have to be filled with helium. Hmm... maybe I'm on to something. And it could double as stove fuel...

What could possibly go wrong?
    Howdy Scittlefield!

I grabbed the ultralite tarp specs by mistake, sorry about that. Here are the ultralite specs, followed by the standard tarp.

UL-
    6' x 10'
    12 Tabs
    Weight: 9 oz
    MSRP: $78.00 Each
    8' x 10'
    12 Tabs
    Weight: 13oz
    MSRP: $98.00 Each
    10'x 10'
    16 Tabs
    Weight: 18 oz
    MSRP: $118.00 Each

Standard Tarps-
    8' x 10', 12 tabs, Weight: 24 oz, MSRP: $46.00
    10' x 10', 16tabs, Weight:32 oz, MSRP $52.00
    12' x 10', 16 tabs, Weight: 40 oz, MSRP $58.00

Hammock
    Simply Light Design
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    LeighLo Down UQ
    Suspension
    Back to Whoopies!
    I too have a 8x10 Etowah. I beefed up the ridge line tabs and really like the tarp. Got it from https://end2endtrailsupply.com/Home_Page.html. George is great to deal with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast