my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    19f for me... did great, but I had some clothing on also. as far as high temps, in the 60's but loosened it up a little to allow a little air in, did fine.

Hammock
    11ft argon
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 20 incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Windy 11 degrees... with a 20 degree bag on top.

Hammock
    NylonD 1.6
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Would the consensus then be that I could get away with an incubator 20 plus a pad for -15*F? I like the idea of a 'starter' UQ that will serve me most of the year.. I figure in the hotter summer months I can do without the UQ at all, or vent at the very least.. summer months lows we can range anywhere from 50 to 80*F, not including the humidex

So to make a long story short I am also looking at this or a yeti.. still on the fence

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images
    You don't mean minus 15 do you? Pads don't necessarily Add 35 degrees of warmth, I uqp will add between 5-10 depending on who you talk to though

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    How low you can go with which insulation is highly personal. As usual, do some intensive backyard testing before you go somewhere with no bail-out possibility. ESPECIALLY when aiming for sub-zero temps!

The lowest temp I used my 20° Incubator has been 32°F - and I could only sleep because I was also using a hot water bottle and zipped my sleeping bag up. But I sleep very cold. I have no problem using a winter underquilt in summer. Venting is easier than getting each and every draft hole sealed up

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Bur40/Incu20/Phx40
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I can certainly vouch for the underquilt protector. Mine really helps out my Jarbidge.
    The ground is hard, and full of rocks...

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    As a new hanger my experience is that the ratings for the quilts are pretty spot on so long as you do a decent job of setting it up right- and use common sense. Go to bed warm and with something in your stomach. Make sure your clothes are completely dry, are properly layered...
    More experienced hangers can stretch the envelope because they have fine tuned their system and are more deeply in touch with their body requirements while hanging- this only comes with lots of experience. Everyone is different so no one size fits all. That said- I don't see any way you sleep comfortably or safely in minus 15 weather with a 20 degree UQ. If you could do it- the clothes you would be wearing to sleep would cost more than the proper quilts/sleep system.

As a warm sleeper I thought I would be fine with the Clark z-liner down to the 0 degree rating it has. No way! I can do about 20 comfortably so long as there is no wind!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty 12x12
    Insulation
    PonchoLiner GT+32
    Suspension
    Webbing,Rings,Carb
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ckmaui View Post
    cant say night time ? but took a nap the other day for about 4 hours was 72 degrees outside and I have a 0 incubator just did not bother with any TQ just had it along side me and was perfect comfy in shorts and light SS shirt with net zipped up
    figure someone who sleeps hot in a 0 in 70 with no TQ a 20 should be just fine also hope that helps
    When I was younger 50+ yrs back we had to wait till the thermometer came up to 70f to go swimming in the lake. As it is now I have a jacket on, I have taken my PLUQ down to 40f and now use it in the house, Summer it is loose and winter snug tight with a Grand Trunk 32f sleeping bag as a TQ, I have taken the GT down to 45f outside slept fine in shorts and tshirt, went to sleep 80f some time in the night I fed the flowers and climbed into it, 0400 45f I slept fine although cant sleep sideways in it.
    Sleeping Area.jpgRight Side Center.jpgBackyard Storm 2.jpg

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Bur40/Incu20/Phx40
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Just got back from a weekend trip here in TX. My Incubator 20+2 is now my greatest piece of equipment! Managed to hit 32 this morning. Perfectly warm. Only reason I woke up was I didn't have more than my fleece shirt on and my arms hanging out. Full length is the only way to go for me from now on for any temps under around 50 or so. It's just easier, warmer, and fits my hammock so much better than a partial length quilt. It just makes everything better! Now for an overstuffed Burrow 40!
    The ground is hard, and full of rocks...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If I could only have one UQ for all seasons, it would be a 0* and an UQP. Vent for a really wide range of temperatures.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast