Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What gear should be stored indoors?

I made the mistake of storing a tent in the attic. The water proofing came off of the fabric because of the heat and humidity. Do you have to be careful storing backpacks, sil nylon, or other materials? I am keeping everything indoors in plastic bins these days, but I would really like to get the floorspace back. I did have sleeping bags hung from the rafters store in 55 gallon trash bags. That seems to work well, but they are indoors now also. Any thoughts?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd never put sleeping bags in 55 gallon trash bags. That's just asking for mold problems in my book. The storage bags should be breathable.

I've had the same problem with a tent stored in an attic, actually with the rain fly not the tent. Am still not sure what peeled off, since it was sil-nylon and that stuff is embedded, not a coating. Nevertheless, I am more careful about what I do and do not store in the attic nowadays.

Personally, I'm not sure it hurts down sleeping bags.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I store everything in my shed in waterproof rubbermaid bins with the exception of the TQs and UQs. They are in mesh bags hanging in the back of a closet. Anything with insulation should be kept in something breathable. Like Rain Man, it'll mold otherwise.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    sleeping bags work well in LARGE COTTON LAUNDRY BAGS

this way, they breathe, they remain expanded, they stay clean(er)

ALL of the COATED/IMPREGNATED fabrics need to stay in a milder climate, when not in use

cooking gear can remain in the garage, w/ adequate ventilation for the stove & fuel

JMHO

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    My gear is very important to me. I treat it all like a baby. I spent a good amount of money on this stuff so I keep all my gear inside where I control the climate. Most of it fits in my pack and the quilts stay hung up, uncompressed and get plenty of air flow.

My philosophy is this: Take care of your gear and it shall take care of you.
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    My gear is very important to me. I treat it all like a baby. I spent a good amount of money on this stuff so I keep all my gear inside where I control the climate. Most of it fits in my pack and the quilts stay hung up, uncompressed and get plenty of air flow.

My philosophy is this: Take care of your gear and it shall take care of you.
    +1 there it is right there.

I will say an attic is a death chamber for pretty much anything. Well over 110° in the summer, dry, humid, ice cold, and everything else.

You guys are confirming what I thought. All of my sleeping bags are now stored in mesh laundry bags hanging up all over the place. I have four in my family and a couple bags for me at different temp ratings, so I am definitely looking for space/organization. The tents are always going to be inside. Trekknig poles, stoves, flashlights, etc. may go in some old kitchen cabinets I hung in the attic. Looks like sil nylon tarps and my Warbonnet XLC should stay inside as well. Thanks everyone.

Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome 1.6 SL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Don't store your water filter someplace where it might freeze.

--Peter

Good point. I have a PUR filter from the 90's. The Katadyn Hiker is its successor. I clean it up, disassemble, and let dry apart after every use. That would be a bummer to have it bust open tho. Now that I think about it, that is a real possibility on the trail..........

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    I store all my gear in large Stanley rolling job boxes- inside the man cave. They are stackable and keep the clutter down. The quilts get stored uncompressed in mesh bags that hang above the boxes.
    It's nice to have everything there to layout and check before a trip- it always goes back in clean, dry, and ready to use.
    I also always have enough food, fuel, water... That it all could be used if needed after an earthquake... That's what I tell my wife anyhow.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast