DIY 1.6oz HyperD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I wonder if anyone has tried using a space blanket in between to try to boost the rating as well?

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay77gunn View Post
    I wonder if anyone has tried using a space blanket in between to try to boost the rating as well?
    I think this stuff would probably be a better option than a standard emergency blanket.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=insul-bright
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/burrow
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    A few days ago I stacked a HG 20 on outside, HG 40 3/4. Arrowhead 1/4 inch footpad,with a winter sock. I did have a good bit of clothes on, I stayed warm @5*,actually got hot.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I've stacked an HG40 with an HG 0+2oz and had a Burrow 0 for top insulation and was comfy at -11. However, I think I was really pushing my limit as I'm a cold sleeper and was starting to get those sneaky little cold tendrils that tend to appear around 4:00am. I made sure to eat a LOT of food for dinner, which I'm sure helped a lot. I also sleep wearing Montbell down jacket and down pants and that really adds a lot of warmth and is super breathable. I would highly advise 'test hangs' in a safe place until you are confident in your gear and metabolism. That -11 hang was in my side yard as I'm still figuring out the temp tolerances of my gear and the 'am I still having fun' tolerances of my body! Lol

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing/Atlas Strp
    I've been wondering if layering compromises the loft of the underquilts at all-- or at least enough to make a difference? I have a HG Incubator 20 on the way and I'm hoping I can layer that with a DIY uq I made with a cheap synthetic sleeping bag. My goal is to push the system to single digit temps with gear I already have. I was planning on putting the down Incubator on first with the (heavy-ish) synthetic quilt around it but now I'm wondering if that will compress the down too much. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rocksandroses View Post
    I've been wondering if layering compromises the loft of the underquilts at all-- or at least enough to make a difference? I have a HG Incubator 20 on the way and I'm hoping I can layer that with a DIY uq I made with a cheap synthetic sleeping bag. My goal is to push the system to single digit temps with gear I already have. I was planning on putting the down Incubator on first with the (heavy-ish) synthetic quilt around it but now I'm wondering if that will compress the down too much. Any suggestions?
    I once stacked a 20° and 40° Incubator. No compression at all, but the 40° did have the old style suspension which could be made much looser (without adding separate cord). So that went on the outside and looked like a nice setup. I didn't test it outside though since I never planned on actually doing this for real.

For the down/synthetic combo, I feel like the down should be against your body. I can't back this up with any real experience, but that just seems right to me.

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch & Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by rocksandroses View Post
    It most certainly seems to me that it could compress your insulation. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I feel that it makes more sense to have your higher density filled quilt closer to your body, with your lower density quilt on the exterior. So in my case it would be my HG20 on the inside next to my body, with the HG40 on the outside. My reasoning is that the denser quilt will be less likely to compress, while storing the maximum amount of heat radiating from your body. The lower density quilt on the outside will be under less pressure, therefore not killing your loft as much. I view the 40 on the outside as insulation for my 20, I dont feel that it will necessarily store that much heat, it will just protect my 20 from losing so much heat. When I recently had to hang a HG40 with another HG40 for my wife on a recent trip, I made sure that the 40 next to the hammock was snugged up, and that the second 40 on the outside was loose. I also stuffed a HG40 TQ in between the two layers to help fill that space. This is just my outlook on it. I feel like some other people have said some things to either agree or support what is being said here.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I haven't tried layering so this is just applying clothing principles: You layer clothes "lightest" to warmest.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.

John Muir

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I've stacked quilts down to -7, using a 10° HG Incubator and an AHE Jarbidge (rated to 25°). I had the best luck with the down quilt on the hammock with the synthetic quilt hung loosely over it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12