Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch & Anchors

Layering quilts?

Recently the wife wanted to come with me on a winter hang, problem is that I only have one set of quilts. My HG20+1oz Incubator, and my HG40 Incubator. A buddy of mine was going as well, so I asked if I could use his HG40 Incubator as well. We ended up layering her quilts like this...

Body
    Therm-a-rest SOLite 4' Pad
    Hammock
    HG40 Incubator cinched up pretty good.
    HG40 Burrow
    HG40 Incubator a little loose to allow the Burrow to loft up.
    2QZQ UQ Protector.

In 20 degree conditions she complained about being hot, as a cold sleeper. This gave me hope! I was wondering if anyone has layered a HG20 UQ with a HG40 UQ, and if so what kind of temps were you able to take that down to? I am hoping to get out in some zero degree conditions this year, sometimes difficult in SoCal. Any information anyone could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by dishonor39; 01-09-2015 at 15:50.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    What temp are you shooting for? I stacked mine once just to test and it seemed very warm. But I did not test it overnight. I would not hesitate to use that 40° and 20° stacked below 0° since my 20° alone was fine to 3°.

And I would skip the pad; it could mess with the UQ forming around your body properly.

Sorry I don't have any real life experience with stacking the quilts. This is just my personal opinion so don't trust it too much!

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch & Anchors
    I am shooting for 0 but if the 40 with the 20 can take me lower, I would love to hear what someone has taken it down to comfortably. As far as the pad, I would never use a pad, that was for the wife because I really didnt know what kind of temps that arrangement would take her down to. I move around too much to ever use a pad. Unfortunately cold weather is not plentiful enough down here in SoCal for me to do any sort of backyard testing. Im watching the weather hoping for some colder temps in the mountains but nothing on the horizon yet. Overnight lows at 8000 feet in local mountains... 37. Bummer.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    I stacked a three season jarbidge (25°) with my 20° incubator the other night down to 3.5° and my backside was quite warm. The wind was gusting up to 30+ MPH as well, but I was also in a spindrift sock. I still felt quite a bit of air moving around due to the gusts.

I am positive I could be comfortable in that setup at 0° or slightly below if the wind isn't gusting like that, considering the windchill factor was -15° and I was still warm. A little cool on my heels, but not bothersome at all. I forgot to stick my foot pad in the footbox of my quilt.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch & Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatHanger View Post
    I stacked a three season jarbidge (25°) with my 20° incubator the other night down to 3.5° and my backside was quite warm. The wind was gusting up to 30+ MPH as well, but I was also in a spindrift sock. I still felt quite a bit of air moving around due to the gusts.

I am positive I could be comfortable in that setup at 0° or slightly below if the wind isn't gusting like that, considering the windchill factor was -15° and I was still warm. A little cool on my heels, but not bothersome at all. I forgot to stick my foot pad in the footbox of my quilt.
    Which quilt did you put on the outside and which on the inside? Any reason you chose to do it that way? I am unsure if it would make more sense to put the 40 on the inside or outside. I feel like it should be on the inside since the 20 on the outside would block the wind better maybe because of the higher fill. However I feel like it would make more sense to have the 20 on the inside, because it would trap the most warmth, with the 40 on the outside to just help out. Obviously I cant have them both cinched up because at some point the outside one will start compressing the inside one. Figured I would go cinched up good on the inside, and whichever goes on the outside, a little loose to allow the inside one to loft up fully.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by dishonor39 View Post
    Which quilt did you put on the outside and which on the inside? Any reason you chose to do it that way? I am unsure if it would make more sense to put the 40 on the inside or outside. I feel like it should be on the inside since the 20 on the outside would block the wind better maybe because of the higher fill. However I feel like it would make more sense to have the 20 on the inside, because it would trap the most warmth, with the 40 on the outside to just help out. Obviously I cant have them both cinched up because at some point the outside one will start compressing the inside one. Figured I would go cinched up good on the inside, and whichever goes on the outside, a little loose to allow the inside one to loft up fully.
    Well, my choice was kind of made for me. The jarbidge is 3/4 length, and the incubator is full length. I didn't want the jarbidge "pinching" the incubator anywhere, so I put the jarbidge against the hammock and the incubator on the outside. The other reason I did it that way is because the incubator is better matched to a gathered end hammock because of the curve that's designed into it to match up with the sag of the hammock, and since I was in my ridgerunner I needed the jarbidge to take up the dead space between the curve of the quilt and fairly flat lay of the hammock. It worked out well. I am curious to see how it might fare with the jarbidge on the outside.

I like your logic of putting the quilt with the higher rating on the outside though. That makes sense to me. If both of my quilts were the same shape, that's what I would have done. Don't know if that's the best way or not, but I totally agree with you on the theory of boosting the lower rated quilt with higher rated on the outside.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch & Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by GoatHanger View Post
    Well, my choice was kind of made for me. The jarbidge is 3/4 length, and the incubator is full length. I didn't want the jarbidge "pinching" the incubator anywhere, so I put the jarbidge against the hammock and the incubator on the outside. The other reason I did it that way is because the incubator is better matched to a gathered end hammock because of the curve that's designed into it to match up with the sag of the hammock, and since I was in my ridgerunner I needed the jarbidge to take up the dead space between the curve of the quilt and fairly flat lay of the hammock. It worked out well. I am curious to see how it might fare with the jarbidge on the outside.

I like your logic of putting the quilt with the higher rating on the outside though. That makes sense to me. If both of my quilts were the same shape, that's what I would have done. Don't know if that's the best way or not, but I totally agree with you on the theory of boosting the lower rated quilt with higher rated on the outside.
    Yea, I am watching weather reports like a hawk, hoping for some cold weather, its hard to come by down here. I will certainly post once I get the chance to try it out. I pray that we havent had or coldest days already. I was out for New Years in 3 feet of snow at 8000 feet, 20 degrees was as low as it got unfortunately.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Layering quilts?

I stacked a 0F and 40F under quilt and got down to 8F comfortably... I am a very cold sleeper and the wind chill was -3F
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    Quote Originally Posted by dishonor39 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has layered a HG20 UQ with a HG40 UQ, and if so what kind of temps were you able to take that down to?
    I have used this same UQ setup and was able to get down into the low single digits with no problem.

Hammock
    SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    If stacking quilts works out as planned it would help people like me pick the correct quilts to purchase. Then I would have 2 to sack together for extreme conditions. That would be nice except for the weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast