Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    And if I could address designer@quickdata's comment about quicker drying, cuben is by far the quicker than nylon to dry because it doesn't absorb water like nylon, you give it a good shake, maybe a quick towel off and go.
    While I agree that cuben doesn't absorb water like silnylon, I think the difference in drying time is minimal. If the conditions are right for tarp drying, then silnylon and cuben fiber are negligibly different. Couple of weeks ago i toweled off my HG Winter Palace after a rain storm (several times), but no amount of toweling was gonna get that tarp dry because the conditions weren't right (no wind, high humidity, etc.).

And back to the OP's original concern, I seriously doubt a camo CF tarp is going to be any less hot than a regular CF tarp, not in any meaningful way. You're talking about different levels of translucence - sunlight is coming through cuben fiber regardless of the camo pattern.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch & Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    As a former test engineer, I think it would be hard to develop a test methodology that would yield any meaningful statistics. The main variable would be trees - though I suppose you could set up a bunch of turtle dog stands in a pasture to level the playing field, trying to insure that each test bed was exposed to equal amounts of sunlight. Even if you were to set up such a test bed with different colored tarps and materials, each with matching calibrated thermometers, I think the conclusion would be that it's darned hot under any tarp when the midday sun is blazing in summer, some more than others. Sounds like a lot of work for such a wow/duh moment.
    Quite true sir, quite true. Time, a pasture, 2 hammock stands, and a pair of calibrated thermometers I have - 2 matching tarps cut the same with 2 different materials I do not. Some day perhaps, some day. It only has to be done once, perhaps I'll make it a project. Of course it can never be exact, but who knows, maybe it would be a 10 degree difference in which case that's such a wide variance, that I wouldn't be too concerned about being "exact".

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dishonor39 View Post
    Quite true sir, quite true. Time, a pasture, 2 hammock stands, and a pair of calibrated thermometers I have - 2 matching tarps cut the same with 2 different materials I do not. Some day perhaps, some day. It only has to be done once, perhaps I'll make it a project. Of course it can never be exact, but who knows, maybe it would be a 10 degree difference in which case that's such a wide variance, that I wouldn't be too concerned about being "exact".
    Maybe you can get dejoha to do such a test - he seems to be into that kind of comparative testing. He did a water break drip test which I did not find particularly meaningful because the levels of water flow (which appeared to be provided by a faucet) were not realistic - no suspension would ever see that level of water flow during rain.

http://theultimatehang.com/2014/05/h...nd-drip-lines/
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch & Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Maybe you can get dejoha to do such a test - he seems to be into that kind of comparative testing. He did a water break drip test which I did not find particularly meaningful because the levels of water flow (which appeared to be provided by a faucet) were not realistic - no suspension would ever see that level of water flow during rain.

http://theultimatehang.com/2014/05/h...nd-drip-lines/
    Funny that you mention that, I was actually just watching that video yesterday. I wonder if using a sprinkler or a nozzle on a garden hose would alter the results greatly.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I'll weigh in on this as I was lucky enough to do some training with Mors Kochanski a while back. There I got to see some testing regarding his super shelters, mind you, those are all plastic and not nylon or Cuben.

At the current location he still teaches at, they have multiple structures setup for students.

All are clear poly except for one. As a test, the built a large shelter using black poly rather than clear thinking it would be warmer due to the sun. It turned out the opposite. That thing is cold always and needs a wood stove to stay warm. It would appear that by filtering all the sun out, no warming radiation makes it into the shelter, leaving it cold and damp.

Compared to a tarp though it may be much different as there is much greater air flow under a tarp than in such a shelter.
    Brady

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Just a note that my comment on drying time was referring to different colors, not different fabrics. In morning sun, would would a black SilNylon Tarp dry that much faster than forest green or gray SilNylon - that type of thing; not Nylon vs CF.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    In researching to build my passive solar cabin in had to spend years experimenting with solar gain.
    I think what you will find is that the black tarp will seem hotter in the sun on the surface of the material compared to a transparent tarp as it's the material that is acting as thermal mass.
    With a transparent the sun goes through it treating you and everything under it into thermal mass. The black material although being hotter on the surface than cuben, this heat is easy to displace because the material has no density to absorb heat long term. You on the other hand hold heat longer than cloth due to your water content and density. Winter hanging would be great with a cuben tarp with black gear hanging under it.
    Great minds speak about ideas.
    Average minds speak about events.
    Small minds speak about people.
    E. Roosevelt

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    In the sun things under transparent material will be hotter on the occupant.
    Great minds speak about ideas.
    Average minds speak about events.
    Small minds speak about people.
    E. Roosevelt

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I agree with Hairbear. If looking for what is warmer - a black T-shirt or White - Black wins. But one cannot apply this concept to a greenhouse effect of a tarp. Otherwise, Greenhouse glass would be painted black. Transparent material will be hotter on the occupant. I like the Christmas Story of Frosty the snowman in the Poinsetta Greenhouse to illustrate hammock tarps. Don't forget to open or close the door (ventilation) to regulate whether Frosty melts or refreezes. Great discussion to make one go hmmmm.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd guess the black to be a little warmer, but on the flip side it has benefit. If you are planning on using it during the day a black tarp would be like having a black bill on a hat. It doesn't reflect the light as much. Anytime I ever laid under a tarp in the sun it was hot. You can feel the rays just beaming through. Shade trees are what's really needed!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12