Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

A rip in the hammock time/space continuum?

As a proponent of simple gathered-end hammocks and independent bugnets, I've long felt in the minority. It seems like 75% of all HF members favor the integrated bugnet/Swiss Army-knife style hammocks.

However, there have been several events over the last couple of years that I believe have shifted the balance to some extent (albeit unmeasurable) to a higher percentage of simple, gathered-end hammocks. First was the tablecloth hammock - if you have any DIY skills you have a functional extremely affordable hammock. Then there was Buttinasling, specializing solely in simple, gathered-end hammocks and Fronkey-style bugnets. Next was the recent explosion of different fabric types - HyperD, PolyD, Argon. Then Dutch started offering hammock blanks and Fronkey-style bugnets.

I think the balance may have shifted to 70-30 or maybe even 65-35 lately! From a personal perspective, I think it's great to be able to try new fabrics affordably. If I was hung up on integrated bugnets and hammock tie-outs and zippers and topcovers and all that, I'd be missing out on one of the most exciting times in hammock development - because I couldn't afford to try all the new fabrics if I was insistent on having those features in my hammock.

Thirty bucks max and I get to try a new hammock fabric - priceless.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 01-09-2015 at 23:11.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Ok McFly. You may have a point that there has been a shift with all of the new fabrics out there. But I don't know if your percentages are correct. There are still a lot of Hammeck, Dream Hammock, Blackbird and XLCs being sold out there with integrated bugnets, top covers and eke, dare I say it......zzz. Zzz. Zzz. Zippers!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    With no actual sales figures, I can't say if I'm right or wrong. However, it sure seems like simple, gathered-end hammocks are gaining in popularity! Adding a new hammock with new fabric is so cheap and affordable when you're not including all the other things that add to cost, weight, and labor.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    SS why does it have to be either or? Why can't we own all three, open, netted, & covered? I do and they are all my favorites depending on the time of year.

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    I also have shifted towards a hammock without nets. I stared with a WBBB but last year I also got a DH FreeBird. I got my daughter a net less hammock from Hammeck and I also like that one as well. I enjoy being net less whenever possible. I did not use my WBBB at all last year. I have been investigating what type of separate bug net to get in case I come across bugs while out. I was lucky last year that I did not encounter many bugs while out. I just feel more comfortable when I do not have a net on. I do tend to roll to my side when I sleep and hate waking up with the net in my face.

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    SS why does it have to be either or? Why can't we own all three, open, netted, & covered? I do and they are all my favorites depending on the time of year.
    Ditto.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Agreed. I think with the addiction we tend to collect gear. We can justify having several types because we "need" them for different seasons.

Siilvr Surfr may be right in the sense that vendors are now making more options available at all price points and with more options and materials than ever before. That has caused a very active market and more purchases of new hammocks, many of which are basic hammocks.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    I tend to agree that there are a LOT more options out there. As a hammocker that still has my original Speer hammock from years ago I tend to collect everything from that Speer to a rare WBBB 1.0 Double that's no longer made. BMBH, RR, XLC, Switchback(s), BIAS, you name it, I have it. I think I am up to 13 or 14 now, and plan on adding at least a couple more of Dutch's new offerings to see if the differences in new fabrics are better.

Since I tend to backpack more than just hang, I go with the lightest weight available, and that means the netless offerings these days with a backup Fronkey-style net in the depths of summer, or maybe even a HUG, although I don't see that for a couple of ounces it makes too much difference in having full coverage vs. partial coverage.

I've only sold one hammock to date, that was my original 2004 HH Expedition that I sold to a friend for his son when I couldn't convince him that there were better, lighter, and cheaper options out there. HYOH.

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR and BB
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ, Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Interesting observation, and something that I've personally experienced. Although I own several hammocks, I'm now finding that I prefer the simplicity of my Dutch Argon. Going to try a Fronkey-style bugnet this spring with it, but, if I were a betting man, I'd say my Dutch Argon will be my go-to setup from here on out.
    “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    To each their own & HYOH I say. My preference is for the simple gathered end. It's worked well for me for many years and many miles, in many parts of the world. It's not "the right way", or "the wrong way"... It is simply "a way".
    It is great to have options and choices. Get what "you" like & what works best for "you" - use it - be happy

u.w.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast