DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Ok, so at least I wasn't imagining the whole thing and the description you provided helps.

So I just had an idea... Take your approach, or anything similar that keeps a fixed section of cord running through the webbing and added a bit of heat-shrink tubing (actually shrink it) over the cord where it contacts the webbing?

I would think that would completely solve the sawing problem for a lot less than the weight of a ring. I would also let the webbing rotate freely and permit rolling to the outside without stressing the stitching on the inside edge.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Merganser View Post
    Ok, so at least I wasn't imagining the whole thing and the description you provided helps.

So I just had an idea... Take your approach, or anything similar that keeps a fixed section of cord running through the webbing and added a bit of heat-shrink tubing (actually shrink it) over the cord where it contacts the webbing?

I would think that would completely solve the sawing problem for a lot less than the weight of a ring. I would also let the webbing rotate freely and permit rolling to the outside without stressing the stitching on the inside edge.
    yes that would make it rigid, no sawing possible.

It happens that that wouldn't work on my current set, because of the way I attach the bugnet to the corners (there are four places where 1"x1.5" tabs of grosgrain are sewn on the netting, actually a pair of them in each spot, sandwiching the net.) Two holes are burned through each grosgrain tab, passage for the ends of the cord stub of mention. This gets the netting up against the loop, as close as it will go to the hammock, and the suspension is reattached after the netting is fitted.

If I sealed the cord stub then that netting would never come off. If I didn't want it to be removable, that would be fine.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    If I sealed the cord stub then that netting would never come off. If I didn't want it to be removable, that would be fine.
    Grizz
    I'm not sure you followed me. The shrink tubing would just go around the cord that passes through the webbing, like a sleeve, not over the webbing itself. In your case between the knots on the stub of cord that runs through the webbing.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I'm not sure you followed me. The shrink tubing would just go around the cord that passes through the webbing, like a sleeve, not over the webbing itself. In your case between the knots on the stub of cord that runs through the webbing.
    Seems I didn't get your idea right. If what you're saying is nothing more
    complicated than you put that cord stub in a shrink tube, then I made it too complicated. I have a talent for that. What I do now with the bugnet would work by enlarging the holes to accomodate the larger diameter of the shrink-wrapped cord.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    That's precisely it.

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    ... then I made it too complicated. I have a talent for that.Grizz
    I can relate. I'm an engineer (software) so I have the same tendency. The #1 skill for an engineer is being able to come up with a solution that is just complicated enough to actually work.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I can relate. I'm an engineer (software) so I have the same tendency. The #1 skill for an engineer is being able to come up with a solution that is just complicated enough to actually work.
    yeah, but I are a computer engineer

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY (BASHIN)
    Tarp
    DIY 'winter' tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Images
    Webbing came today. I ripped the seams out of my channels, recut my arcs and sewed it back up with webbing. Everything about working with webbing rocks.

I did observe that the load in the hammock makes the webbing rotate. If the roll is to the outside, the bottom edge will rotate out, actually just past vertical in my case. If the roll is to the inside, bottom edge will rotate in, approaching horizontal. This is due to the fact that the stitching is an eight of an inch or so from the edge of the webbing. I don't think it would make a difference which way the roll was, the angle at which the stress is applied to the stitching looks pretty constant to me.

With the cord and the channel this wasn't the case because the channel hung below the cord so everything was centered. Possibly the ultimate solution would be webbing in a channel. You'd get the comfort of the webbing and loose the angular stress on the stiching, plus you could sew the webbing in place so it wouldn't slip.

I guess if I have problems with stitching that's something to consider, but I think I'll wait for a problem first...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12