Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

$450 to spend on setup

I'm 6'4" 225. Last year I almost pulled the trigger on a wbbb xlc but other things came up. I am now ready to jump in. I am still leaning toward the xlc 1.1 dl. I am also looking to get the superfly tarp but am also looking at the large kelty due to the lower cost. I don't plan on using it in the winter. I'm live in west Tennessee. In not sure about what type of bottom insulation to get. I already have top insulation. I'm leaning toward pads instead of an UQ so I can go to the ground if necessary. Also, I can get Big Agnes products at 60% off for a short time. Any thoughts?

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Do you plan on doing any backpacking (i.e. is weight an important factor for you)? And what is it about the XLC that you like?

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    For $450 you should be able to get hammock, tarp, and UQ.

I paid $125 for my Dream Hammock Darien suspension included
    $90 for Tadpole tarp, add another $30 or so for zing-it and hardware
    That leaves about $200 for UQ which will be your favorite piece of gear once you use one. There are a few choices in the range.

Or DIY a hammock and $45 for a Fronkey style net from Dutch. Multiple options you could go with.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Are you car camping or backpacking ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would start with one of Dutch's hammocks, incredibly inexpensive way to get into hammocking. Then i would buy a good UQ and tarp.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Lean towards an UQ - no sense spending big bucks on a pad for the ground. Just buy an $8 Walmart blue ccf pad for those occasions. Good bottom insulation in a hammock is essential, and pads can slip and slide underneath you. Here's a suggested setup:

Dutch Argon Hammock with Whoopie Hook suspension $71
    Dutch Fronkey Style Bugnet $45
    Warbonnet Superfly tarp $130
    Hammock Gear 20* Phoenix 3/4 UQ $199
    Total $445

Hammock - I'd stay away from the WBBB XLC because at $200 it wrecks your limited budget. At $32, the 11' Dutch Argon hammock should support your weight, and be comfortable for your height, but you could also get the NylonD hammock for $3 more if you want something with a 285 lb. weight limit. Pay an additional $39 and the hammock will come with straps, whoopie slings, continuous loops and Whoopie Hooks.
    Bugnet - A lot of folks like integrated (zippered) bugnets, but the Dutch Fronkey-style bugnet is the best deal on the market right now.
    Tarp - The Superfly will handle any weather you throw at it. I especially like the doors for when there's blowing precipitation, or high winds that can rob your insulation of warmth. Also, the pull-out panels on the Superfly tarp are not seam sealed, so factor the cost of seam sealant in.The Kelty Noah 12 x 12 is a great value, but it's heavy as heck, and it's difficult to achieve a taut pitch.
    Underquilt - bottom insulation is the most important thing in hammocking. Pads just don't compare to UQs.

You're still going to need a tarp ridgeline and tie-outs. Dutch sells a continuous ridgeline for $28, and you could buy 75 ft. of Zing-it from Dutch for your tie-outs for $16.50 (though the 180 ft. roll is a better value). You might also consider a hammock ridgeline - I use them on all my hammocks (Zing-it 1.75 also works for this). You can save some money if you DIY the whoopie slings, tarp ridgeline, and hammock ridgeline.

That's a great deal on Big Agnes products, but it's my understanding their stuff is heavy and bulky.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    If I was starting from the beginning again....I would go with:

DutchGear - hammock, bugnet, bling for tarp, suspension for hammock and tarp rigging
    Hammock Gear - 30* TQ/UQ
    WildernessLogics - Snipe tarp

You would be a small bit over budget (quick mental math) but have a lifetime set up.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

Total $445

Haha we were typing at the same time
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtsarby View Post
    I'm 6'4" 225. Last year I almost pulled the trigger on a wbbb xlc but other things came up. I am now ready to jump in. I am still leaning toward the xlc 1.1 dl. I am also looking to get the superfly tarp but am also looking at the large kelty due to the lower cost. I don't plan on using it in the winter. I'm live in west Tennessee. In not sure about what type of bottom insulation to get. I already have top insulation. I'm leaning toward pads instead of an UQ so I can go to the ground if necessary. Also, I can get Big Agnes products at 60% off for a short time. Any thoughts?
    Preparations for going to ground really aren't necessary. A decent UQ will give you as much insulation, especially if you combine it with some duff from the forest floor, along with your hammock, to more than insulate you from the ground.

Spend the least amount of money you have on a hammock, the next biggest on a tarp, and the most money on quilts.

Suggested set-up:

Dutch Hammock or BIAS Weight Weenie (+/- $100)

Tadpole or HH Hex Tarp (+/- $100)

HUG Bugnet or Fronkey Bugnet from Dutch (+/- $75)

That should leave you with enough money to get a decent Underquilt from just about anybody.

As said above, you can go even cheaper on the Hammock using DIY. It ain't rocket surgery.

Hammock
    Tinkr Custom, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    EE RevX, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Trees
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

Total $445
    That's some pretty good advice and pretty good system that will work in a variety of situations. The SuperFly and HG Phoenix are choice pieces of kit that will serve you well in the long run. Dutch's hammock's are tough to beat in terms of value. With this setup you'll be good to go and can add on to support a wider variety of scenarios (e.g. colder weather, lighter, etc.).
    see you on the trail,
    Mike

#optoutside

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast