Thread: Eno Ember 2...

Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    Much of what has recently been said is true. I stand six-two a long lean frame and sleep at a shallow angle with my left leg cocked out and my left foot under my right knee. The ember 2 is designed just the way I need my UQ to fit. What works for one does not have to work for another. Those who run something down because it does not work for them. Need to understand this.

Hammock
    WBBB, Night Owl,WBRR
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex, WD13
    Insulation
    AHNR, LocoGP, AHRC
    Suspension
    adj. web, whoopie
    I just picked one up on the cheap ($72) with Amazon points. I thought it would be better than woobie or a Snugpak Jungle blanket (maybe maybe not). I guess I will have to see. I have been sleeping with just a foam pad and a 15 degree down bag in temps down to 36 degrees. I guess in Maine you get used to some colder temps. I will be using it next weekend the temps are supposed to drop into the 30's. I will report back. I will be ordering what most consider a real UQ at some point.
    “In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    Wednesday I was out for an overnight the temp dropped to 41* I had to tighten the hangup slightly to close up a slight gap. I won`t claim it kept me hot , but I was comfortable and slept until morning without stiffness from the cold in my arthritic hips or back. I do believe it is the lower limit for my use of the Ember 2.
    A canoe or trike to do most of the hauling.
    A hammock to take away the bumps at night.
    Now that's the way to go.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Images
    All of my stuff is ENO. I'm not a fanboy about them, their gear is just easy to get ahold of around here. Plus, I like being able to check out gear before I buy it.

Anyway. I used the Ember 2 back in the spring in conjunction with my pad and a 40degree Kelty bag. It got down into the mid-40s and I was sweating. I had to kick the top quilt off just to stay comfortable.

Hopefully I'll be doing another hang here in a couple of weeks. We'll see how that setup holds when it drops to the 30s.

Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    I have been using the ember2 to compensate for the compression of my sleeping bag under me. Been out several times now down into the teens. Using a 0* synthetic bag so the insulation loss is not as bad as a down bag. The ember2 is enough to compensate for the commmpression. I will still be getting something to allow me to go back to using just a top quilt eventually even at the colder temps.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Now that the Snugpak underblanket is out, and costs about $50 (half of the ember 2, and sometimes on sale for about $40), and is good to Temps in the low 30s... I see no reason to get the Ember 2.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-s / ENO DN
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Habanero 10*
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have the Vulcan UQ, it did get me to 26* a week ago. Was totally warm, no CBS. *my disclaimer* I will sleep down to 65* with no UQ, TQ, or pad, etc. I am a very warm sleeper.This UQ will be passed on to my son as soon as I upgrade all of my system. Was happy with my ENO purchase, but exploring other hammock options.

Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    Eno ember2 was an inexpensive option. With the snugpak under blanket now available I do believe there is a more effective option. My snugpak underblanket arrived yesterday and I have been tweeking my rigging of it.

Hammock
    various
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    GT straps

Ember 2

Quote Originally Posted by runningwithscissors22 View Post
    https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc....ct/EMBER2.html

How is this a 4-season underquilt? It appears to go down to 50 degrees.

I bought the ember 2 because I have been unsure about going all out on hammock gear. I have not been able to sleep well in hammocks. At least in my grand trunk single and grand trunk skeeter beeter. Both those collect dust now. Anyway, I am on a strict budget and don't have the cash to fiddle with this and that until, or if, I can get it right and actually be able to sleep well in it. So, back to the ember 2. It is simple. Well made. I drove to the store and came home with it. I find the adjustment is lacking but it does what it's meant to do....insulate underneath. I've tried to sleep in the hammock and the ember 2 down to 35 degrees. With a 20 degree bag I was not cold. I was comfortably warm. I layed in my hammock for hours upon hours wide awake. Finally, after a long day of hiking and many hours laying in the hammock my body finally fell asleep. For me that is the problem with hammocks. However, no problems with the ember 2. It's not a cottage industry Ferrari. It's a Chevy, and it works ok.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234