Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG CF 11'
    Insulation
    HG TQ, Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Buckles and Straps
    I'm thinking about changing from my old snakes skins that were for my HH tarp that I'm now using with my HG CF Tarp.

Does the CF tarp get damaged at all by being all crinkled up inside the sleeve?

Hammock
    DH MultiCam Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    HG Camo CF w/Doors
    Insulation
    Mucho Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Interesting. I was told by HG that they had given up the two-piece design out of respect because it was another manufacturer's idea.
    Given the choice, I think I would rather had two piece than one piece set up. I have had this item on order along with my camo CF tarp. I wonder what type I'll be receiving

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Buddy and myself got the one piece snake skins by HG for the cuban tarps....I have used two piece for years but think the one piece is great. Would not go back to the two piece.
    Turk3

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkThompson View Post
    I'm thinking about changing from my old snakes skins that were for my HH tarp that I'm now using with my HG CF Tarp.

Does the CF tarp get damaged at all by being all crinkled up inside the sleeve?
    You role the tarp sides up, then pull the skin over it. It is always best to role CF as this helps prevent the mylar from breaking down at creases and folds.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    jLink 79 Thanks for that answer, it helps a lot.

To continue the discussion... Which are lighter CF Tarp Skins or Mountain Goat Mesh.? I have a weight for CF but the Mesh Skins say "under an oz". Not very specific, maybe because of whether it's a 10, 11, or 12 ft Tarp.

Is there a feeling as to whether the CF Skins hold in moisture of a damp tarp where by the Mesh may allow more air drying to occur.

I will (one day) purchase a Cuben Fiber Tarp; however, I will more likely buy Tarp Skins for my current Sil Nylon first and then switch them to the new Tarp. Would luv a ideas on + - of CF vs. Mesh.

Maybe doesn't matter because both products are awesome.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    GBOLT- I use the loofah that is undone to form a long tube for my Superfly. I had my tarp get wet then could not get it hung to dry for a couple of days. When I went to dry it it was still soaking wet. I keep the tarp in the back mesh pocket normally but it was actually just secured under the strap hang out of the pack. This should have gave it ample time to dry if it ever had a chance. When I did hang that soggy mess with a fan on it I was able to dry it out in a couple of hours. I did let it hang for a couple of days just to make sure and I was lazy.

I think the mesh will let what little water that can drain away but any that is trapped in the roles will stay. The CF will keep it from getting you other stuff as wet. I also think the CF's smooth service is going to help resist snagging and picking up leaves and dirt.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.7
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I wonder if the sleeves are large enough for my hammock and a bottom quilt to fit inside of one.?

Hammock
    Chameleon #8 '17
    Tarp
    Tarp got boo boo
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoops-n-Biners
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMD View Post
    I wonder if the sleeves are large enough for my hammock and a bottom quilt to fit inside of one.?
    I would seriously doubt the one piece sleeve that I recently got with a tarp purchase could consume a hammock and under quilt. Perhaps a very light/Summer UQ. HG does do custom work but I would ask them directly to find there opinion. I found there response to be swift.
    Sup?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Tarp sleeves are not large enough for Hammock and underquilt unless you custom request them to be made for that purpose instead of the Tarp. However, what you may want to research is the Lazy Slug Tube; which is made for the Hammock+, like the sleeves are for the Tarp.

I also use a loofah for my DIY Tarp Sleeve currently. Nice Blue/Green one for 99 cents. It is OK but frayes at the end and has some snag rips in a few spots. I didn't leave it as one Tube and cut it into two sections which doubled the end fraying that occurs. I get that it would take 12 -26 years of a new loofah every year to reach the cost of Cottage Industry Tarp Sleeves; however, looks are important to me. At my age, I actually would rather pay the higher price and get a product that I don't have to hassle with for my current backpacking and my future hope of Thru Hiking.

So the question remains, Cuben Fiber or Mesh - That is the Question?

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    I am in the same spot with needing the real thing. Dutch does have a dyi mesh kit on his site. I have some laying around but have been to lazy to make them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast