Question Hammock noob going all-in | Help!

Hey everyone, i am planning to get rid of my bed and sleep in a hammock every night. I am unable to fasten it to the wall so i will need a stand. I have a small room so the only stand that would work is a 9ft universal stand. I have decided i want a Mayan style hammock. I was just wondering if anyone had an recommendations? So far, i am planning to use this: http://www.hammockuniverse.com/colle...niversal-stand

Does anyone have any experience with this hammock?
    Is a universal stand a good idea?
    Any advice/stories would be much appreciated!

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    Look in the classifieds for used backyard hammocks with stands, or just the stands themselves. People are always trying to get rid of them, and sometimes you can snag them for cheap or for free. You might need to make some adjustments and make sure you measure the span of them to be certain your hammock can fit on them.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Osulagh View Post
    Look in the classifieds for used backyard hammocks with stands, or just the stands themselves. People are always trying to get rid of them, and sometimes you can snag them for cheap or for free. You might need to make some adjustments and make sure you measure the span of them to be certain your hammock can fit on them.
    Most backyard stands I have seen were intended for spreader bar hammocks and wouldn't have worked with a "normal" hammock. The stand needs a certain depth. And with Mayans and Brazilians, bigger is often better - so make sure that the stand is big enough to accommodate the hammock.

Many people here prefer to build their own stands. The most popular is the Turtle Lady / Turtle Dog stand. If you search for it, you'll get hundreds of hits. Tato now sells a hammock stand kit for a similar construction: http://www.tatogear.com/product/hammock-stand-kit/

Another one is the pipe stand: http://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/p...ck-pipe-stand/

But if you search for "hammock stand", you'll find lots of versions. Pick the one that appeals most to you.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    these are not a bad deal stand and hammock for almost the price of the stand and the hammocks are quite nice picked one up recently and been happy with it
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

then something like this
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for less than the one you are looking at ?

not sure if you slept in a Mayan before ? but I dont like the thicker cotton ones as much as the super fine or even synthetic super fine ones in the Mayan style but prefer the Brazilian style some ways the most

if you are going to go full time might not hurt to get both and try them both out a bit back and forth and see what ya like in the long run ? again if you have slept in them then no worries

Does anyone have any experience with this hammock? NOPE just the above ones for indoor sleeping

Is a universal stand a good idea? sounds like you dont have much choice or the other style mentioned ? but to me the universal is going to be more stable but they are lower which I dont like as much ? so either one has pros cone either style of stand would work

Any advice/stories would be much appreciated! : none really just go for it again try both styles out a while I had the soft thicker cotton so not sure the style on that one you linked to kinda hard to tell what it is ? some cotton can be super fine but they also had thicker in the pics ?

Hammock
    Argon/HyperD
    Tarp
    Hex Silnylon
    Insulation
    Argon + Down
    Suspension
    DutchBling Woopie
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Most backyard stands I have seen were intended for spreader bar hammocks and wouldn't have worked with a "normal" hammock. The stand needs a certain depth. And with Mayans and Brazilians, bigger is often better - so make sure that the stand is big enough to accommodate the hammock.
    I've found both the mayan-style and the spreader-bar hammock stands in my classifieds. I say, worth a look.

Thanks for the help guys!

• + New Posts