Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    Don't feel bad Gideon. My Limerick sounds sort of off. Hey wait a minute I am sort of off. So maybe that's the way it should be.

I've been watching the weather for the communities around where we are headed. None of the forecasters can make up there minds on what we should expect.

Thinking about bringing my fly rod. See if I can tease something into taking a bug or two. Never tried fishing down here before.
    A canoe or trike to do most of the hauling.
    A hammock to take away the bumps at night.
    Now that's the way to go.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    6.84 lbs but I'm not counting the cellphone in my pocket! I'm liking the rain gear Disco purchased althought I'm not sure about a kilt I even packed a toothbrush for this one!

Myingon, I'm also packing my flyrod. The stretch of river we'll be on is "white ribbon". Means its stocked with rainbows; limit is 4 of any size. Only one smallmouth 15" +. Only one brown 15+. I'll bring a few dry flies but more beaded nymphs. And my base weigth doesn't include the flyrod and reel! I'm bringing a regular meal for Friday evening but with a lot of luck, maybe we'll enjoy some fresh trout. I'm pakcing some foil and spices just on the off chance but I'm not kidding myself; i expect that part of the river to be some hard fishing!

Gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; 09-12-2015 at 22:34.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator; Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    6.84 lbs but I'm not counting the cellphone in my pocket! I'm liking the rain gear Disco purchased althought I'm not sure about a kilt I even packed a toothbrush for this one!
    Gideon
    Nice base weight! This will be my first outing with the kilt. I kind of hope I get to use it, but not all weekend.
    Last edited by Disco; 09-13-2015 at 07:49.
    With beauty all around you, may you walk.

Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    I'm just shooting for total pack weight of less than fifteen. Will be bringing UQ/TQ because I would rather have a little extra weight instead of arthritis giving me hell. Weather is looking just a little to unstable to risk.:-)

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

MO > Irish Wilderness hang - September 18-20

Weather looking like 89,80,80 with lows in mid to upper 60's; calling for scattered storms. This far out weather patterns tend to drift out or in a bit. I suspect it'll be warm and we'll get to see disco in his kilt. I do think it'll be as much as 10 degrees cooler down by the river.

I'm also bringing quilts, I always do. I have my 3 season set that includes a 40 degree TQ from Zpacks matched with a Phoenix 40 3/4 UQ. Could lighten the load a good bit more if I spend the money for a lighter UQ but just can't see spending the money needed to save 7 or so ounces.

Gideon
    Last edited by Gideon; 09-13-2015 at 14:06.

Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    Using full length UQ with synthetic insulation eno ember2 for this trip. Vesta TQ for my top. Growing up I had several bad experiences with down getting wet and froze my *** off. If synthetics get wet the worst of the water is quick and easy to get rid of. Then my own body heat finished the job and I got a good nights sleep. So I will stick to my slightly more weight and volume. Being a paddler things will sooner or later get wet.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    What do you paddle? My goal is a sit on top fishing kayak! I understand the "wet" issue and have gone to sufficient lengths to ensure my down stays dry.

Discovered tonight that I only had three esbit tablets left; ordered some more but if they don't make it, I'll go with alcohol which is fine too!

Going to be a hard three work days this week, have to let an employee go so hiking the latter part of this week will be a welcome relief!!!

Gideon

Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    A little bit of sea kayak, and a lot of canoeing. I have a Old Town Next, just got rid of a Wilderness Systems Tempest 170., and I am building a 16 ' wood strip solo canoe. Hoping to do two weeks in the BWCA next fall. I use the Next to get to where I can do some over night no impact camping locally. What people don't see won't bother them.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Looks like the weather "slipped" about one day. Was looking like high 80's on Friday but that's moved to thursday. 60% chance of rain/thunderstorms on Friday with a high of 82. Interesting thing is that it drops down to 53 that night and as low as 50 saturday evening. Saturday and Sunday should be perfect hiking days and honestly, I'm looking forward to the rain on Friday. 1st day is a pretty straight, level, visible trail; in other words, a good trail to hike in steady rain. It'll also make White's creek on day 3 mor interesting. Base weight is moving over 7lbs; I'm going to add an ultralight/thin down vest and a very thin long sleeve/pant base layer for sleeping. Yup, I'm a wimp!

River might be up so fishing with beaded nymphs; hard part about ultralight hiking is no waders and that river is cold. Not sure how that's going to work out

As for the limeric; still struggling; have a theme going about "men of the wood" but it sounds kind of creepy.

One more day....

Gideon

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I have to give some kudos to Hawk Vittles. I wasn't sure which way to go with meals on this trip but really wanted to try a few of their new meals. I placed an order (last minute) and added a note in the "comment" box telling them that I was ordering these with only a few days to go before a trip and I asked if they could sort of rush things along. The response I got was a shipping notice within hours of placing the order and I have my meals more than a two days early for their regular shipping. I have to say I'm impressed. If you've never tried their "Ramen Rescue", you owe it to yourself to try it. Looking forward to trying their Shepards Pie meal one evening!

Gideon

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast