DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Yeah I don't want to whine over that too much. I would keep my carabinier attached to one end of the tree hugger along with two of the rings and when I pulled them out of the bag they would jangle around and it just got on my nerves a little bit. I like to be on the quiet side when I'm in the woods.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I keep a climbing carabiner tied into my suspension with a munter hitch backed with two half hitches.

Clip into aftermarket straps, no problems.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ potomac
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    I used the descending rings and carabiner setup for a while. It worked fine but still not the easiest. The best setup for my HH explorer was to replace the stock suspension with continuous amsteel loops and then use the carabiners to clip to eno atlas straps. It's really fast and easy, but it's not the lightest option.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarrkills View Post
    I used the descending rings and carabiner setup for a while. It worked fine but still not the easiest. The best setup for my HH explorer was to replace the stock suspension with continuous amsteel loops and then use the carabiners to clip to eno atlas straps. It's really fast and easy, but it's not the lightest option.
    I completely agree on all points here. I really like the setup gnarkills mentions with the loop hooked to eno straps. I have a similar setup on a couple hammocks, only I used some dogbones and kammock python straps. This is not ultralight but it is pretty easy and foolproof.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS & DIY UQ
    Images
    One thing to keep in mind is that every hang is different. You will rarely be tying knots or making contact with carabiners in the exact same section of your suspending ropes each time, so if wear does occur, it will likely be gradual. In saying that, it's important to inspect your suspending ropes often. Identify wear on the sheath (the rope's protective outer core) and check to see that the rope's core is safely protected from outside elements.

To make sure your suspending ropes last, some basic care is always good. A few tips include:
    - Let the suspending ropes breathe and unwind if they get twisted.
    - Wash the suspending ropes by hand in your bathtub using warm water and mild soap. Try to reduce kinking the rope while washing. Hang to dry, uncoiled, away from direct sunlight.
    - Avoid Nylon on Nylon. Tying your suspending ropes directly to tree huggers, tape slings or other rope/webbing creates high levels of friction and is a catalyst for wear. Using carabiners can reduce this.

Having been a professional sport climber on rock for the majority of my life, this info comes from all the years of experience working with ropes

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Not trying to start a debate but what's wrong with whoopie slings or cinch buckles? Why are you guys using carabiners? A basic whoopie system has a sling, toggle, and a tree strap. If you use a good stick, there's no metal involved at all and if you really wanted to get fancy, just throw in a whoopie hook. Cinch buckles are even easier to use, continuous loop, buckle, and tree strap. It's a little heavier but super simple. I'm not bashing at all, just curious.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I am not all that experienced at this hammock stuff but I have HH and it took only one hang attempt to make me look for a better way than ropes. After 3 years of hanging I now have amsteel loops larks headed on the hammock with attached Dutch cinch buckles. Put a 1 inch strap around a tree and cinch it and you are hanging. What could be better?????

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS & DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    Not trying to start a debate but what's wrong with whoopie slings or cinch buckles? Why are you guys using carabiners? A basic whoopie system has a sling, toggle, and a tree strap. If you use a good stick, there's no metal involved at all and if you really wanted to get fancy, just throw in a whoopie hook. Cinch buckles are even easier to use, continuous loop, buckle, and tree strap. It's a little heavier but super simple. I'm not bashing at all, just curious.
    I use carabiniers because I'm a climber/alpinist. They're strong and infinitely useful to me. They work perfectly for hanging — super quick to set up and I almost always need to carry them anyway. I like whoopie slings, but I seldom go into consumer mode and buy new gear if I've already got something that works fine.
    Whatever rocks your hammock

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    I'm a heavier guy and worry about my suspension dropping me during the night.
    Initially out of paranoia, I chose components and knots that climbers use where possible. However, now that I've thought about dynamic loads in suspensions, I'm pretty happy about my choices.

If you can convince me that whoopies never wear out and that shear forces on toggle bolts never cause failure, I'm in. I'm just not there yet.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS & DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman_atl View Post
    I'm a heavier guy and worry about my suspension dropping me during the night.
    Initially out of paranoia, I chose components and knots that climbers use where possible. However, now that I've thought about dynamic loads in suspensions, I'm pretty happy about my choices.

If you can convince me that whoopies never wear out and that shear forces on toggle bolts never cause failure, I'm in. I'm just not there yet.
    I never thought of it from that perspective, but it makes total sense. Different suspension rigs serve different purposes. Some are lighter, others are stronger and a few are faster to setup. I guess it comes down to what's most important to you and which gear is most accessible and affordable.
    Whatever rocks your hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast