Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sticker Shock

The only thing I have found to be expensive is the underquilt. A solid Down product is like having a second sleeping bag. At least price wise. So more than being expensive it's just feels like a redundant purchase if you go that route. if you don't you can definitely do it pretty cheap. I have spent several nights on thermarest pads and was just fine. You can easily get a hammock and tarp for around $150-$200 which will be of equal or better quality than what you can find for the ground. Just like being on the ground price is a function of weight and quality for me. Then you go to Dutch's site and see what little it costs for simple convenience (and you get addicted).

I have a SKBTPro as my summer hammock and find it very comfortable. I also started with a sportsman guide tarp that cost $17. So for me to get off the ground and start hanging only cost $100. My advice is to be patient and watch the for sale thread.
    "Over the mountains of the Moon, Down the valley of the Shadow, Ride, bodly ride", the Shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!" - Edgar Allen Poe

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    As always on this forum, you're getting plenty of good information to get you pointed in the right direction.

I'll throw this out. I wrote this piece about low cost hammock camping for my blog a while back. Maybe it will be useful for you.

https://getoutga.wordpress.com/2013/...g-on-a-budget/

Keep a couple of things in mind. The suggestions I make aren't the lightest or least bulky...but they'll get you started. Also...what I describe is what worked for *me*. You'll get plenty of other very good suggestions. Your challenge is to think through all of it and figure out what works for you on your budget.

Main take away...have fun figuring it all out! Also, as you upgrade, pass the items you've 'outgrown' that are collecting dust on a shelf on to someone else that's getting started, whether as loaners, gifts or sales.

Images
    Your point is valid and well taken. I have some DIY items and some cottage items. I also have a penchant for diving into the deep end of whatever hobby I am undertaking at the time. That being said, I have always had a side job for my "mad money" and I do my hobby and other purchases out of that. There are many who have, err, creative financing options, that they employ for new gear. I've been doing this for a bit so I will sell items to fund other items from time to time.

You are correct in that this is how DIYers are born. Whether by curiosity, boredom or necessity, DIY is a simple and useful method for achieving the hang of your choice. Rome wasn't built in a day and you'll find that over time your thoughts and requirements for YOUR gear will change and evolve. No two kits are alike and no two hangers hang the exact same way in every aspect of the function.

No pun intended, just hang in there and you'll find your way. The journey if the best part but the end benefit of the hammock is an awesome payday as well.

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    It has been fun...I guess its the redundant purchasing part that gets me. I've been down the road of buying something less par just to turn around and buy the better/more expensive option shorty after...making the entire experience even more expensive. For right now I think I'll try to focus on things that I can re-purpose afterwards while acquiring better gear when I can afford it.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It's really not as expensive as you think - but it does take LOTS of research to find out what options are available to you. You probably already have a sleeping bag and blow-up air mattress if you camp. Add some foam wings to that air mattress (like $10 at Walmart) and you have your top and bottom insulation for super cheap. As was already mentioned, an Arrowhead Equipment Jarbidge underquilt is $100 (paired with a cheap piece of foam for your feet).

Blue 10x12' tarp is what, $15? If you want to go 'fancy' a silnylon Edge tarp is $85 from Warbonnet.

Hammock is $32 from dutch, plus $5-10 for some Amsteel rope (it's EXTREMELY easy to make whoopie slings and soft shackles). Maybe $7 for pre-made tree straps. Done! -- and these setups is what a tons of super experienced hammockers use.

You want to go all out?

$150 Dream Hammock Darien
    $130 Warbonnet Superfly Tarp
    $200 Hammock Gear Phoenix 20º
    $15 custom cut piece of foam for your feet
    _______
    $495 ...that's only a little bit more than my high-end down sleeping bag costs (when I used to camp on the ground...ew).
    Last edited by Dochartaigh; 01-15-2015 at 10:58.

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    The motorcycle trip isn't until the end of March, so I have a little time to figure things out. I think the plan right now, thanks to everyone's help, is to buy a KAQ 3 Season UQ next month and a Kelty Noah 12 (I like the versatility of it) the following month. That should comfortably get me off the ground with out going too over board.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    That is how I became a DIYer, I was too cheap to buy an UQ.
    Me too.

i was basically unemployed when I joined and had to learn a lot to be able to scrape together my first kit. Of course there were also less than 5 shops that sold hammock gear back in those days too.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Me too.

i was basically unemployed when I joined and had to learn a lot to be able to scrape together my first kit. Of course there were also less than 5 shops that sold hammock gear back in those days too.
    Ha! I was just watching your KAQ UQ video and was thinking how much your avatar looks just like you!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    I started off in the summer with an ENO Doublenest that I picked up at REI on sale, added straps & whoopies and used a 10' x 10' tarp I had from something else. It was 90°ish F when I went to sleep and about 1am I had to grab my sleeping bag because I got a chill.

Later I grabbed a Mega Ogee tarp from Gargoyle and caught a sale on an Arrowhead Equipment Jarbidge UQ. Just take baby steps.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    My first hammock, tarp and pad set up cost me about £10 and I went straight on a 5 day yomp across the English lakes. By whichever standard you take £2 a night is nothing.

I also believe that roughing it like that teaches valuable lessons you can't learn off of you tube: such as sleeping on two layers of reflectix in a single layer 9' hammock wear somewhat thin after a week.

The money for the cottage industry guys building custom made gear from top materials is frankly peanuts. Try buying European made boots, watches and clothes!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast