WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing

Daughter's first overnight in hammock-weather concerns

Kids don't have school on Monday so I want to take my daughter (8y/o) for a winter overnight hang. She has camped in a tent before in cold weather so she knows what to expect temp wise.

My concern is that the forecast is for light snow with the overnight low getting down to about 26. The temp will be riding the dew point the whole night. Is there concern for condensation inside the tarp and on the TQ? I don't want that to ruin her opinion of hammock camping. She's tough and loves the outdoors, but wet is wet. I know if there is no precipitation and the temp matches the dew point you'll get wet, but if there's precip? I mean lots of people camp in the rain/snow.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    In sub-freezing weather there's almost always condensation from your breath on the tarp, and when you bump the tarp it comes down as snow. Your breath will also cause condensation on the TQ. Check out Shug's frost bib for that.

With lows of 26, I doubt you have to worry about condensation from the air being saturated with moisture. I've only camped in those conditions a few times, watching the fog roll in under my tarp and permeating every fiber. The weather conditions for Monday don't look particularly dangerous or unusual, as long as you have proper insulation and weather protection.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    You are worrying too much Go have fun. By the time she wakes up and notices any condensation it will be time to get moving and you are not worried about a second night.

I remember those trips with my daughter from about age 7-11. After that dads are not as cool anymore. There are some of 2sticks (daughter) videos on my youtube channel when she was around that age.(user ID rpmkart)

Images
    I would not put a shug style frost bib on an 8 yr old do to a possible choke hazzard. A balaclava that covers the mouth would be safer.
    A little frost on the TQ has never caused my down to get so wet it quit doing its job. Are you both sleeping under the same tarp?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/DIY APEX
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I would not put a shug style frost bib on an 8 yr old do to a possible choke hazzard. A balaclava that covers the mouth would be safer.
    A little frost on the TQ has never caused my down to get so wet it quit doing its job. Are you both sleeping under the same tarp?
    Interesting question as I was thinking about using two tarps to make a canopy so we could hang next to each other. Probably not the best idea given the conditions? Extra condensation?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    A Superfly should work for two. I don't see how two tarps would change condensation. However, whenever I see someone with a two tarp "canopy" it's usually a suboptimal configuration. The trees usually don't help out with the scheming minds trying to make one shelter out of two tarps.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various

Daughter's first overnight in hammock-weather concerns

Try using a poncho liner hung over the ridgeline. Tie the middle strings to the ridge line near the ends of the hammock. Hang your tarp higher to keep rain snow off.

I can't remember who first suggested the poncho liner to me but it works. Warmer inside the enclosure and no frost.

My setup if no snow/rain expected is often no tarp but with an uqp over the UQ and the poncho liner flopped over the edges of the uqp.

The other nice thing is the poncho liner let's light through so it's not a dark cave for kids. Add a flashlight and your golden

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tramos55 View Post
    Interesting question as I was thinking about using two tarps to make a canopy so we could hang next to each other. Probably not the best idea given the conditions? Extra condensation?
    Condensation can be an issue on multiple nite outs where you might not have time to allow everything to dryout before stuffing.
    Checkout fronkeys video for a great idea on hammocking together. time stamp 4:00 to about 5:10
    If you have fat trees or can find 3 trees it works pretty well. Your superfly should be perfect just don't hang it to close to you hammock RL's
    hth

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Just have fun. my sons first hang was at 6 and that was 26* degrees. He loved it.

The biggest thing to teach your daughter to not stick her head into the sleep bag for the night. That can cause more issues then condensation on the tarp or sleeping bag. Last hang we had we had a couple of people do this and they were wet and frozen throughout the night.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I would not put a shug style frost bib on an 8 yr old do to a possible choke hazzard.
    Not much faith in the dad, huh?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast