Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I looked back through all the responses with interest or confirmed so far (17). If half of the list showed we'd have a nice sized group for any of the park and pack sites, except that parking would probably be an issue for any of those along the top of the north side of the gorge (8,9&10), we'd probably have the forestry folks giving us grief about the number of cars. Now on the south side of 97, we wouldn't have any parking concerns but the closest sites (1,2&3) which have been favorites among the group require a stream crossing. Even though I've hiked the trails, I really haven't checked out 4, 5, 6 or 7.

So far here's my tally of the interested and committed or as HamMike says "down".

Brother Jeffrey (is down for the hang)
    Tr1ppler (interested complicated schedule)
    Jlink79 (up for a good hang)
    Bannerstone (is down for the hang)
    Lukesteg (is down for the hang)
    Bigtoe00 (interested noob)
    1csleptonkayak (interested)
    Xtrm tj (watching thread)
    Flannel_Carp (interested)
    Hobopelican (looking forward to it)
    Kia Kaha (keeping an eye on and make it if can)
    Tendertoe (can’t make it)
    Tacticaldruid (would love to be there)
    PapaSmurf (interested in joining)
    HamMike (is down for the hang)
    Razorguy (will see what he can do)
    RockSlide (interested)
    Home Run (on the calendar)
    Knightranger (looking to make it)

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    What's with all the ones down for this? I thought the whole point was to get up off the ground.

The bottom sites will have water access to the streams. The top sites don't have water but it is an easy carry in. Parking on the top side is do able if some shuttling happens or people want to hike in from the main park (will have to hike in anyway on the south sites.

Hammock
    RG60
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    Makin' whoopie
    I like sites 2 and 3. No issues with parking and the stream crossing is really not a big issue in my opinion. It is about knee deep at its worst and maybe 20 ft from bank to bank. I am open to anything, so I guess once others chime in we can get a grasp on what everyone wants to do.
    Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak.

“They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price. ” ― Khalil Gibran

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Take a look at my video from a few years ago. I hike past 1,2,3 and camped at 4. Mohican State Park 12/2-12/3: http://youtu.be/0SuBowokbG4

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Boy, oh boy, oh boy, do I miss everyone. Yep, being a member of The Disappearance of Ohio Hangers isn't a very fun group at all I should certainly be off the walker by that point and would really like to make this one, especially before the other hip operation, and I'm out another 6 months. I will know more concrete answers as we get further into March on if I can pull this off or not. Can someone tell me where the parking is, in relation to the old parking road for sites 8, 9, and 10 or directions from the Kiosk? Also....is it a hard hike or easy?

Hammock
    RG60
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    Makin' whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Boy, oh boy, oh boy, do I miss everyone. Yep, being a member of The Disappearance of Ohio Hangers isn't a very fun group at all I should certainly be off the walker by that point and would really like to make this one, especially before the other hip operation, and I'm out another 6 months. I will know more concrete answers as we get further into March on if I can pull this off or not. Can someone tell me where the parking is, in relation to the old parking road for sites 8, 9, and 10 or directions from the Kiosk? Also....is it a hard hike or easy?
    It is a pretty short hike ~1 mile, but there is a pretty steep switchback down to sites 2 and 3, and an up to knee deep stream crossing. It is not that bad, but can be made more difficult if conditions are muddy. As for parking, check out this link that tendertoe also shared on page 2 of this thread. It is a good map of showing where the trailhead is. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=2015-4-10&c=1

“They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold; and I deem them mad because they think my days have a price. ” ― Khalil Gibran

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Still looking like a good possibility and if I make it I may be bringing my wife and 2 kids 6 and 10, so we may hang somewhere near a latrine for the kids and meet up with the group?

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Kia Kaha it'll be good to see you again.

Site 4 is a short walk to bridal staging area. Other than that you would have to be in the park proper.

The Zaleski hang will have water and a latrine which might make it a better hang for the kids.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    I think for a large group sites 9 and 10 are the best bet. If we are going to do the bottom sites it looks like if you walk from point B towards site 4 but take the fork to the left just before you can get to sites 5 and 6 without a water crossing. uploadfromtaptalk1424221678601.jpg
    Last edited by jlink79; 02-17-2015 at 20:17.

Hammock
    RG60
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 20*
    Suspension
    Makin' whoopie
    Also, sites 2 and 3 are accessible from a parking lot to the south, where the stream crossing can be avoided. 9 and 10 are good sites for groups, but 2 alone has been host to at least one hang. I haven't set up at any others, but haven't really been interested in them either. I really like being close to the stream in spring when the water is flowing a little faster for some nice ambiance while I catch some ZZZ's. One time I was there in spring and had to watch my step as I was dodging salamanders. I guess we have to start getting some other opinions and get some consensus.

I will start with a vote for 2 and/or 3.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast