Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies

New under quilt

I know this is a matter of opinion but the question I have is for a second under quilt. I have a very nice 3/4 20 degree under quilt from Ox gear but I want to add a 0 degree quilt for really cold weather, so my question is for a 0 degree quilt would you guys go with a full or 3/4? This quilt would be used by my wife when and if she goes with me also and she hates to be cold. I bought the 3/4 under quilt first because most of my camping is backpacking the A.T. and I wanted to save weight. I know a few more oz.'s don't mean much if you are warm. So for you that have made this decision before please give me your input before I pull the trigger.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Full-length for a cold sleeper. No question. It's way easier to stay warm, provided you set it up correctly.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    My take is full length at 20º or less. 3/4 for fair weather. I know some like 3/4 all the time but not me.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    0* quilts = full length in my eyes. When I am out in those temps I do not want to have any chances for cold due to pads slipping.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl or Snipe/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF/Superfly/OMW
    Insulation
    Quilt/Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/AWS
    I have both and prefer my 3/4, 20-degree quilt to a full-length quilt. I find adjusting the 3/4 quilt to be easier and think it tends to hold its position better. I used it recently when it got down to 10 degrees and was comfortable. I put a sit pad in the foot box and wore down booties though.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    --General George S. Patton, Jr.--

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    CURRENT SET UP: I have a 3 season Black Mamba TQ and 3 season Yeti UQ to go with my WBBB. Feathered Friends down booties and the small inflatable Thermorest pad goes inside the footbox. Also using the2QZQ UQP as an undercover, and a Bear Burrito over cover.

I am 6' 2" tall. Northern Wisconsin / Upper Peninsula hanger. 65 YO using Smartwool top, bottom, socks, knit cap.

Given this info, it seems like a full length zero degree Incubator would be overkill what with the down booties and footbox of the TQ. Perhaps a partial length would suffice.

ALSO: I am partial to Warbonnett Zero Yeti, but cannot make up my mind over the full versus partial length incubator, and the choice between Incubator versus the Yeti.

Has anyone felt that there can be too much of this goodness. Especially want to hear from Zero Yeti users. Can I move the 3 season Yeti towards the legs / feet area and get a winter Yeti for the upper body. I like their bigger baffle size.

Hammock
    SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Anxious to hear from more people also. I cannot decide on full or short length myself.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    If this UQ will be used primarily by your wife, how tall is she? How tall are you? Maybe a 3/4 would be almost a full length for her? Maybe something like a HG short Incubator would work for both of you?
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    2 Blackbird XLC 1.7 DL SL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IncubatorSniveller
    Suspension
    Standard Warbonnet
    My vote would be full length for several reasons. First, you mentioned your wife who you indicate is a cold sleeper. 0 degree is serious cold in my book. As 12trysomething and thumbs mention, mild weather can be more forgiving; from comments in the forum 0 degree is significantly different.

For example, I learned a lesson this weekend hanging in my backyard in the mid 20's with a 20 degree under quilt. I'll post some pics to explain in a separate thread but briefly I didn't adjust my suspension optimally and got cold feet and shoulders. It wasn't a big deal, just didn't tighten the suspension fully allowing a little bit of air to migrate into the top and bottom. In mild temps, my mistake wouldn't have been noticed and was manageable in the mid 20's by adding some extra clothes during the night. I figured out what I did yesterday adjusted the suspension and slept well last night. If I had been at the temps you're discussing and out somewhere, it wouldn't have been much fun.

Hammock
    Ox gear
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB & Ox Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing & Whoopies
    My wife is only 5' 6" and I am 6'1" she won't go when its really cold so the reason I'm looking for a 0° is when it is really cold and I go and need a little more than my 20° I can take it. But I defiantly don't want her to get cold and we would be backpacking.

• + New Posts