Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps

Thumbs up Results in for Ultralite Tree Pro (Tree Protector) straps.

Ok, did some testing last night. These are the 2" into 1" Tree Pro's which are a 4 foot length of 2" polyester webbing with an 8 foot 1" length attached. The idea is that the 2" will go around the tree with hammock suspension from the 1" strap.
    These straps are very thin, thinner than a dime. I used the least amount of stitching and smallest polyester thread that I dare use in order to rate them at a 350lb safe working load.

So the breaking strength in my hydraulic test machine was highest at 1386 lbs. Lowest was 1362.
    All three 1" straps broke at the point where they were stitched to the 2" webbing. None of the stitching failed.

A set of Ultralite Tree Pro's with Ultralite Quickdraws weighs in @ 282 Grams or 9.96 Ounces.
    A set of straps only which total 12' long weighs in @ 208 Grams or about 7.34 Ounces.

ultp.JPG
    Completed ULTP strap
    tploop.JPG
    3" Loop
    ulset.JPG
    Set of ULTP's
    ulqd.JPG
    UL Quickdraw
    ulsetxqdsgm.JPG
    Complete Suspension Set. GRAMS
    ulsetwqdsoz.JPG
    Complete Suspension Set. OUNCES

I will be testing the 4' double eye 2" wide and 1" wide tree strap today for weight and breaking strength and will post those as soon as I can. I am certain that the 2" will be rated @ 500lbs and the 1" around 350lbs. (1/3rd of breaking strength) What I don't know yet are the weights but I expect them to be around 2 or 3 ounces.

Gary
    Readystrap
    Last edited by GT; 01-17-2015 at 11:33.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    BTW. This is a high quality, made in U.S.A. tight weave polyester webbing.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps

And now Results in for the 1" and 2" Double Eye Ultralite Tree Straps

1"wide x 4' long Ultralite double eye (double loop) strap with 3" loops. Breaking strength 1690lbs Weight 28.2 grams or 0.995 ounces. (less than 1 ounce) "Safe Working Load Rating" 350lbs

2" wide x 4' long Ultralite double eye (double loop) strap with 3" loops. Breaking strength 3046lbs Weight 57 grams or 2 ounces. "Safe Working Load Rating" 500lbs

I tried a few types of stitches but decided on the Bar Tack with [X] inside using two types of #T90 polyester thread, twisted and bonded on top, flat filtech on bottom. It not only held better than 3 bar tacks it also looks good. And because I am in the business of selling straps to the public they not only need to be strong but also good looking.

Heres the pics.

1" strap being pulled.
    1TS.JPG

2" strap being pulled.
    2TS.JPG

Stitch
    BTX.JPG

1" wide in Grams
    grams1.JPG

1" wide in Ounces
    ounces1.JPG

2" wide in Grams
    grams2.JPG

2" wide in Ounces
    ounces2.JPG

Hammock
    hh Explorer Ultralite Asym Classic
    Insulation
    diy UQ,
    have you ever tried making your last stitch in a > shape away from the end of the 2in so you don't have a stress point across the 1in? by the sounds of it your break strength is far over what is needed but it would be interesting to see if it has any affect. in metal fab you would do it that way if you were welding a bead
    Last edited by jesskai; 01-18-2015 at 13:43.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by jesskai View Post
    have you ever tried making your last stitch in a > shape away from the end of the 2in so you don't have a stress point across the 1in? by the sounds of it your break strength is far over what is needed but it would be interesting to see if it has any affect. in metal fab you would do it that way if you were welding a bead
    Not sure what you mean, are you talking about something like this?
    huh.bmp

Not sure if it would make a difference. Any good strap I ever tested broke out in front of the stitch, usually about an inch or two as long as the stitch is good. If there is any stress released in that area by using a different stitch it probably will be minimal and if anyone is taking a strap that breaks around 1500lbs and putting 1499lbs on it, well you know what most people would think about that, right?

Hammock
    hh Explorer Ultralite Asym Classic
    Insulation
    diy UQ,
    haha ya just my brain working over time. like that but with the v the other way so your not stressing it strait along the strap. i have not knowledge of straps only metal experience i was just curious if it made a diff on fabric. i guess if its breaking an inch or two form the stitch i will not make much difference i took it that it was breaking beside the stitching. like i said not really and issue cuz if you have broken your straps you probably tried to catch a car with your hammock or you really need to hit the gym.

thanks for enduring my minds wandering

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Your 2-to-1" design does not distribute weight across the whole width of the 2" part.

You'd need to pinch or fold the 2 down to 1.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Your 2-to-1" design does not distribute weight across the whole width of the 2" part.

You'd need to pinch or fold the 2 down to 1.
    It is folded down to 1" at the first bar tack. Besides, I think 1300lbs is good enough for hanging a hammock anyway.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Quote Originally Posted by jesskai View Post
    haha ya just my brain working over time. like that but with the v the other way so your not stressing it strait along the strap. i have not knowledge of straps only metal experience i was just curious if it made a diff on fabric. i guess if its breaking an inch or two form the stitch i will not make much difference i took it that it was breaking beside the stitching. like i said not really and issue cuz if you have broken your straps you probably tried to catch a car with your hammock or you really need to hit the gym.

thanks for enduring my minds wandering
    Interesting thought. If a strap was breaking at the stitch that would be something to look at. To tell you the truth it doesnt take much to make a bite that will hold a hammock camper. You could literally go back and forth a bunch of times in a 2" long line and you will probably be good to go. But I worry about appearance as well as the strength.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGary View Post
    It is folded down to 1" at the first bar tack. Besides, I think 1300lbs is good enough for hanging a hammock anyway.
    But that is not the goal with a 2" strap. The goal is to distribute the weight born by the tree.

1/2" folds at 45* do not accomplish that.

A 30* fold might.

Bar tacks in 1" straps running several inches into the 2" material do not contribute to anything but final weight.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast