Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Enlightened Equipment or Underground Quilts?

Ok. So I have narrowed my choices for a top quilt down to the Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20° quilt and the Underground Quilts Flight Jacket 20° quilt. I'm partially leaning towards the UGQ because of the standard hyperdry down compared to regular down in the enlightened quilt. Am I missing anything in comparing these two? Any experiences with either of these two?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    After years of using quilts, I prefer longitudinal (length-wise) chambers to horizontal. Horizontal always has led to down falling to the sides - gravity ALWAYS wins eventually in life! Love my EE quilts better than any other.

Now the new UGQ TQ's have that feature.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Any issues with drying the two different types of down?

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I haven't needed treated down in all my years backpacking. I might need it on long trips in very wet conditions though.

I haven't had problems drying regular down though. With a little care it is easy to avoid getting down too wet.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    I haven't needed treated down in all my years backpacking. I might need it on long trips in very wet conditions though.

I haven't had problems drying regular down though. With a little care it is easy to avoid getting down too wet.
    Hm, guess I was wrong, I thought Florida was very humid. I have found I have to be careful with my down items, however that being said, not supper careful like in the old days. Something is different about the down being used in the last 20 or so years, maybe it is a higher grade than when down garments and equipment first became available to the general public. I am not sure what the difference is, I just know my down clothing and quilts is significantly nicer than the same type of items were in the 70's. I am sure some of the change is due to the fabrics that are now available.

If your not using your gear where the humidity is 100% on a continual basis, you do not let it go swimming, modern down seems to do well. I am old fashion, I am also concerned about all the unnatural chemicals our bodies are exposed to. In the back of my mind for several reasons, I do not choose to purchase the new improved? down. Just my particular reasoning, I am not sure the processes used on the down is good for our environment. Just call me an old time mother earth type person.

I like the modern gear because most of it is so easy to care for and does its job very well. A significant improvement from when I became aware of such things. Remember the old air mattress, you just about burst your lungs trying to fill, only to have it go flat 3 minutes after you tried to sleep on it? The 5 pound sleeping bag that you froze in? Clothing without stretch? My first down camping quilt, formed big clumps of down, just awful. My daughter's Enlightened Equipment TQ is light beautiful. Last weekend we went for a hang where frequent went in the 70's, he Enlightened Equipment quilt was light, fluffy, warm and not a single clump. Very high humidity, everything was damp (cost you pay for living in a rain forest). Her quilt performed perfectly no moisture problem. The down was not the treated down either.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Any proponents of UGQ?

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    I have no experience with EE, but love my UGQ Flight Jackets (and Zepplins). At some point I'd like to round out my 40 and 20 degree sets with a 0 degree set, and no doubt will go with them again. I have had two other comparable brands, as well, and feel UGQ are much better.

Hammock
    SLD
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have a 20deg and 40deg top quilt from UGQ. Super nice and excellent quality.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Ironfish,

You weren't wrong - Florida is VERY humid. I have just found that with proper care on shorter trips in high humidity, that I haven't had problems. I sure am jealous of those in Colorado, though!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Not quite sure what to make of Ironfish's comment. I think I'm going with UGQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast