diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out

Consensus on reliable ultralight suspension system

So I'm in the process of starting from scratch with a whole new hammock setup. My old setup is just too darn heavy at a whopping 48oz including bug and rain protection.

What is a solid reliable ultralight suspension system for a hammock setup worthy of a thru hike? Simplicity of use is also one of top priorities. I understand a marlin spike hitch with twigs as the toggle is weightless in your pack. But I don't wanna go looking for sticks. And personally, I don't like carrying two aluminum toggles around. I'm always looking for em. I hate having a bunch of loose components floating around in a stuff sack.

I'm pretty interested in Dutch's setup with the 6' tree strap, dutch clip, and dutch buckle. I already have 6' whoopie slings and 6' tree straps. Allthough there is a sewn loop on each end of my tree straps. I'm going to cut one off to save weight. That extra loop is heavy lol! I like that the dutch buckle never comes off the tree strap unlike the aluminum toggles. Same with the dutch clip.

Is there really any lighter, more convenient options out there for an ultralight all in one package? This system supposedly weighs 162 grams (5.714 oz) according to his website.

Also, this looks like a reliable proven design that's bulletproof in the eyes of an ultra lighter. I don't see why this wouldn't withstand the long haul of some thru hikes. I've only "heard" about people wearing out whoopie slings. But that's just hearsay.

Anything I should consider?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    4' tree huggers + Dutch speedhook with 7' leads weight 3.4 ounces. If the trees are bigger than 4' diameter, you simply run some of the amsteel lead through them (on the front so the back of the tree is still supported by the tree straps). And if you're worried about that shortening your usable suspension, simply go a couple feet longer with the leads.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    Wow, those are really cool...

And downsides to that setup over whoopies?

I remember some saying last year that whoopies were going to be the cat's meow for a while.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I don't know your weight, but I'm 200# and use Dynaglide instead of Amsteel. That will shave some grams as long as you are comfortable with the load rating.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    I weigh 150lbs. I'll have to look into the differences between dynaglide and amsteel

I'm trying to build an ultralight hammock that can make the long haul of a thru-hike. Looks like I still have a lot of research to do!

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Wow, those are really cool...

And downsides to that setup over whoopies?
    Not really. With the whoopie setup I use it has a speed-hook-esque attachment point to easily come on or off of the continuous loop which is attached to the hammock, so the only difference is how you adjust the rope length. Both are extremely simple. I just think that the speed hooks shave off a small amount of weight since they use less rope for the same max distance. Speed Hooks can go a little shorter than whoopie slings if the trees are really close together though, so that is a benefit.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    My UL hammock with suspension weighs 7.5 ounces.

It has Dutch Whoopie Hooks at the tree end spliced on to Dynaglide. At the hammock it has Ti anchors.

The hammock body is PolyD 4.5x9.5 feet, with whipped/knobby ends that hold the UQ suspension.

The SLR is Dynaglide as are the CLs on the hammock.

If you opt for 1" tree huggers, larks head the suspension to one loop and use Dutch Clips. That should still keep you well under a pound.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    4' tree huggers + Dutch speedhook with 7' leads weight 3.4 ounces. If the trees are bigger than 4' diameter, you simply run some of the amsteel lead through them (on the front so the back of the tree is still supported by the tree straps). And if you're worried about that shortening your usable suspension, simply go a couple feet longer with the leads.
    This +10! All I use anymore!
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I weigh about 10 lbs. more than you. While UL would be important on a thru hike, you also need to have something that will last 180 nights of hanging that is both comfortable and durable. Sure, you can save weight by going with 1.1 oz. fabric, but it's just not durable enough for me. I stick with minimum 1.4 oz., though on a through I'd probably consider 1.6 oz. fabric. You can also save weight on the hammock by going with shorter width and length, but I wouldn't go there for sacrifice of comfort. I also don't mess with Dynaglide (1000 lb. breaking strength) - Amsteel 7/64 has a better breaking strength (1600 lbs.) and a few grams aren't worth it to me.

Speed Hooks are kind of new, and I've been using them since they came out. Seems like they'd be fine for a thru, though Whoopie Hooks don't weigh much more.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I weigh about 10 lbs. more than you. While UL would be important on a thru hike, you also need to have something that will last 180 nights of hanging that is both comfortable and durable. Sure, you can save weight by going with 1.1 oz. fabric, but it's just not durable enough for me. I stick with minimum 1.4 oz., though on a through I'd probably consider 1.6 oz. fabric. You can also save weight on the hammock by going with shorter width and length, but I wouldn't go there for sacrifice of comfort. I also don't mess with Dynaglide (1000 lb. breaking strength) - Amsteel 7/64 has a better breaking strength (1600 lbs.) and a few grams aren't worth it to me.

Speed Hooks are kind of new, and I've been using them since they came out. Seems like they'd be fine for a thru, though Whoopie Hooks don't weigh much more.
    I have given a "fair" amount of thought into what kind of hammock I want to bring on my thru. I'm definitely not going with Nano 7 type hammock. Actually, I've been eyeballing dutch's NylonD hammock (10 footer). Durable and comfy. I see your using his PolyD and the Dutch Speed Hook, can you elaborate on your exact suspension system, and how are your overall impressions of your setup? Would you take in on a thru?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast