Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    I like the figure-8 lashing thing, but I do mine through a climbing biner at each end, not the ends of the tree huggers... this also provides something of a drip ring, but i have soaked my hammock completely through in a three-day steady rain, even with only a tiny bit of cord exposed and the lashing covered.

In answering a related but unasked question, I am a fan of hennessy's diamond tarp for obscenely hard light trips, but generally use a larger tarp. You just have to work a little harder at site selection.

IMG_6317.jpg

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's
    Insulation
    Potomac, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I have tried both the standard figure 8 lashing, and the descending rings with carabiners. I plan to switch to the Dutch cinch buckle system this coming spring. I have watched tons of videos and performed research. I have not seen another system that is faster, easier to adjust, as well as saves weight.

I already use a ridgeline system for my fly that utilizes a continuous paracord, 2 small Niteize figure 9s and the 2 prusik loops (taken from the stock HH system) and my rainfly (in snake skins). I can honestly have my rainfly set up in about 2 mintues or less.

So for me, ease and speed of setup is important.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS & DIY UQ
    Images
    Hey JCinPA, I don't really have a problem with the Hennessys out of the box. I just tie a trucker's hitch and pull it until the tension is just right. To take it down, I just yank on the tail and the whole lot comes undone.

I have switched my Tree-Huggers for Daisy Chains (long tape with loops sewn in, I have a million because I'm a rock climber – http://bit.ly/1BWuqYG). They reach around different sized trees better, protect the bark and are super easy to adjust.

My recommendation is to give what you've got a few runs. See what bothers you about your setup and what doesn't. If you want to make changes down the road, do so. But there's no real need to change something just for the sake of it.

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by petercrane View Post
    I have switched my Tree-Huggers for Daisy Chains (long tape with loops sewn in, I have a million because I'm a rock climber – http://bit.ly/1BWuqYG).
    How well do the daisy chains work? I'd be worried that the < 1" width on the webbing could damage the tree bark.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS &amp; DIY UQ
    Images
    They're very simple to use, actually. I usually wrap it around the tree and feed it through itself, clipping the hammock rope into whichever loop seems most appropriate. You can clip up and down the loops too for a tighter or looser hang. The Daisy Chain I use is 1.3 inches wide, which is 0.2 inches thinner than the medium width Tree Huggers made by Hennessy. They haven't caused any damage to trees, but then again, most of the trees in Australia are a very hard timber. Not sure how it would do with softer wood and a lighter load, though I'm confident that they would hold up fine.

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by petercrane View Post
    They're very simple to use, actually. I usually wrap it around the tree and feed it through itself, clipping the hammock rope into whichever loop seems most appropriate. You can clip up and down the loops too for a tighter or looser hang. The Daisy Chain I use is 1.3 inches wide, which is 0.2 inches thinner than the medium width Tree Huggers made by Hennessy. They haven't caused any damage to trees, but then again, most of the trees in Australia are a very hard timber. Not sure how it would do with softer wood and a lighter load, though I'm confident that they would hold up fine.
    Got it! The link you included showed 18mm daisies (< 3/4"). The bigger ones should work great!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym Zip
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    HHSS &amp; DIY UQ
    Images
    Sorry, I just realised that. I just wanted to post a link that showed you the kind of thing I was talking about

Hammock
    Grand Trunks Double
    Tarp
    Grand Trunks Funky
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Biners/ENO Atlas
    Thanks to the poster who mentioned Dejoha's slippery larks head on carabiner on page 64 of The Ultimate Hang!

I cannot find an online version of that diagram but it is perfect for what I am after. I am going to put a structural ridgeline in the GT Double and a single long rope, a la Hennessey. Rather than putting this through the straps, I will join the straps with a carabiner and use the slippery larks head in that at the tree strap.

It's totally effective, does not use excessively tight knots or pinch the rope between hardware, or use a lot of excess hardware. It should be quick to adjust. If I am going to set up camp for an extended period I can really make the hang permanent with a carefully dressed figure 8 knot at the carabiner. That is a fairly benign knot for the rope (I think, relative to other knots I could use) but totally secure, easy to execute, and not too difficult to untie.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I still have two Hennessy hammocks, and I don't mind the stock suspension. I put one end of the tree hugger through the other (which prevents the thing slipping down the tree), and then just tie a slipped sheet bend (aka becket hitch) to attach the rope to the loop in the hugger. It's quick, it's easy to adjust (and to untie), and it has never slipped for me. I'm about 220lb.
    It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway &amp; Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator &amp; Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    On first looking at this hammock sickness the Hennessy was my first video exposure to it. I ultimately purchased a WBBB and was drawn to the adjustable webbing because all others just looked too complicated...especially the Hennessy knots. Can't beat wrapping the webbing around a tree, clipping on a biner, and adjusting with the buckles IMO.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast