Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't know what the snow situation will be like in July, but I thought the North Loop in the Indian Peaks Wilderness was awesome. There's a report in Trip Reports forum from 2 years ago.

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    I don't know what the snow situation will be like in July, but I thought the North Loop in the Indian Peaks Wilderness was awesome. There's a report in Trip Reports forum from 2 years ago.
    Wow. Killer trip report. That just went on my list for this summer. Rather than a loop, maybe turn it into a peaks trip a la this 14er.com trip report.

OR BOTH!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So I think we are starting to focus on the Maroon Bells loop. Trying to figure out the regulations.

Do you have to stay at dedicated campsites in the wilderness area or just anywhere?

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by joefbtg28 View Post
    A few years ago I did a 36 mile loop over 4 days in Lost creek where one section included the Colorado trail. It was a nice experience to get on the CT for a bit, and the Lost creek trails for the rest. I will see If I can find info/pics on the exact loop I did.
    What kind of permits would I need for Lost Creek?

Camp anywhere along the trail or dedicated campsites?

Our top picks for this trip is 3 days/2 nights in Lost Creek Wilderness. Then 3 or 4 days for 4 Pass Loop in Maroon Bells area. I realize snow pack could alter where we can or can't go so I will have backup options also. But it looks like Lost Creek would be good to go that time of July where Maroon Bells maybe not.

Hammock
    Dutch/Argon or DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    Varies (Down)
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Hammocking is getting harder at high elevations, lots of beetle kill trees looking to fall in the next few years. Keep an eye out for widow makers!

If you need any help getting to/from trail, I live in Westminster (a Denver suburb) and I can shuttle to/from wherever, especially if on weekends and I can tack on a day or so hiking for myself. PM if I can be of any assistance.

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    What kind of permits would I need for Lost Creek?
    Camp anywhere along the trail or dedicated campsites?
    AFAIK, Lost Creek is a true wilderness area. No permits, no campgrounds, no bikes, etc... Dispersed camping everywhere. Standard dispersed camping rules apply. Camp 100 yards from trails or water.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3798290.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Single Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by murphyw View Post
    Hammocking is getting harder at high elevations, lots of beetle kill trees looking to fall in the next few years. Keep an eye out for widow makers!
    This. At least they are practically completely dead at this point and very easy to spot, but I feel a little uneasy selecting trees these days. Maybe this winter took a few big ones down so I can worry less. The lost creek wilderness section along the colorado trail has quite a few aspen groves which are nice to camp in.
    Keep on keepin' on.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    1. Get a map of Colorado and tape it to the wall
    2. Get a dart
    3. Throw the dart at the map
    4. Hike the closest trail and it will be magnificent

There are so many absolutely gorgeous hikes within a half day drive of DIA. I've been in the Lost Creek/Maroon Bells area and it's marvelous. You won't be disappointed. Different parts of NF and Wilderness Areas can have different regulations. Call the ranger station associated with the trail and they will be happy to give you all the information you need about permits and hanging that time of year. Usually by early July snow pack isn't much of an issue in all but the most rugged areas.

Click on the links in my signature for some Trip Reports during that time frame in CO.
    Last edited by g2outdoors; 03-23-2015 at 14:54. Reason: too many superlatives describing the beauty of CO

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I would check out Indian Peaks Wilderness near Ward Colorado. it is only about 1.5 hour drive from the airport. It is on the south side of Rocky Mountain NP. Start at Pawnee Campgrounds at 9000 ft . You can car camp there, then head west up the trail and over the divide to Pawnee Pass at 12,500 Ft on to Crater Lake (one of the prettiest places I have been ). Stay two days there the head north towards towards Buchanin Pass . You can camp at Fox hollow just before the pass. Then head to Coney Lake to camp . Next day head back to the Pawnee Campground. Permitting here is easy and only about $ 10 . This is a wilderness area so trails are not well marked map and compass skill a must.

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings

Colorado, 4-6 day trip early July

Quote Originally Posted by murphyw View Post

If you need any help getting to/from trail, I live in Westminster (a Denver suburb) and I can shuttle to/from wherever, especially if on weekends and I can tack on a day or so hiking for myself. PM if I can be of any assistance.
    I'm currently living in the Midwest and was thinking of flying into Denver and doing some hiking. If anyone else is interested in 2 or 3 days out maybe we can get a few hammockers together and do this. I've never been more than on a few day hikes and I've invested enough in gear and read tons on hiking and hammocking these last few years that it's time I put it all to use. I'm free around first few weeks of July if anyone is interested in accompanying this (Well informed) newbie!
    Last edited by dtp2c111; 06-15-2015 at 06:25.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast